• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This team can't pitch for shit

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one who surprises the hell out of me is good ole Daniel Vogelbach!! Who would have ever thunk? Last season when he was in the bigs and came to the plate, I'd go "oh shit". This season it's a gas to watch that dude, especially when he goes back to the dugout and struts his stuff. :pound:

I've always been excited about his potential, he always showed when he could do in the minors but never put it together at the major league level.

Would be cool to see him in the home run derby. Pretty sure he won it at the minor league level at one point.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been excited about his potential, he always showed when he could do in the minors but never put it together at the major league level.

Would be cool to see him in the home run derby. Pretty sure he won it at the minor league level at one point.

To me, his swing looks a little weird but because the dude is so powerful the exit velo is insane and the ball screams out of the ballpark. I'd like to see him in HR too and see how far he can actually hit.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, his swing looks a little weird but because the dude is so powerful the exit velo is insane and the ball screams out of the ballpark. I'd like to see him in HR too and see how far he can actually hit.

I can't exactly put my finger on what it is, but there is something that really makes you want to root for him. I'd say right now he's probably my favorite player on the team, although that would obviously change if he started regressing. I think it would be really cool for him to get some national exposure.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HR derby has a history of screwing up a hitter's swing in the second half of the season. I'm not sure I'd want him to participate and it would be slick if he was at least asked to.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably end up with 30HR's, 90 RBI's.
30 homers seems like a lock. 90 RBI might be a stretch. He isn't getting much ribbie mileage out of his HRs right now.

And with the team supposedly in the rebuilding stage, keeping him around makes too much sense so they will probably move him at the trade deadline.

"He's not really that good, so let's sell high. Yeah, that's the ticket." ~ JayDip

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HR derby has a history of screwing up a hitter's swing in the second half of the season. I'm not sure I'd want him to participate and it would be slick if he was at least asked to.

Really? I didn't know that.

To play Devil's Advocate, I can't imagine that the home run derby is much different than batting practice aside from the fact that you're trying to hit the ball out of the park instead of hitting home runs.

I have to assume that the players selected for the HR derby have inflated HR totals and experience a regression to the norm in the second half of the season.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 homers seems like a lock. 90 RBI might be a stretch. He isn't getting much ribbie mileage out of his HRs right now.

And with the team supposedly in the rebuilding stage, keeping him around makes too much sense so they will probably move him at the trade deadline.

"He's not really that good, so let's sell high. Yeah, that's the ticket." ~ JayDip

He doesn't hit arbitration until 2022, so I'd assume that Jerry views him as a key piece of his dream of a 2021 World Series team. He's finally living up to expectations and I genuinely believe he could be a consistent 25-30 HR guy who hits around .260/.370/.500.

He needs to move Encarnacion as soon as possible. Don't know what the market for a 36 year old DH is though. Not sure how an NL team would feel about having him play first on a regular basis so the market is pretty slim.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have time to go through the historical data right now, but as of yesterday's game Mariners have allowed 308 runs, 262 of which were earned. That would put the Mariners on pace for 975 runs allowed, 832 of which would be earned. I don't know what the record for unearned runs allowed is, but 143 unearned runs would probably be a record.

It would be the most since the 1962 New York Mets had 147.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't hit arbitration until 2022, so I'd assume that Jerry views him as a key piece of his dream of a 2021 World Series team. He's finally living up to expectations and I genuinely believe he could be a consistent 25-30 HR guy who hits around .260/.370/.500.

He needs to move Encarnacion as soon as possible. Don't know what the market for a 36 year old DH is though. Not sure how an NL team would feel about having him play first on a regular basis so the market is pretty slim.

Maybe talk to the yankees. Seems like they have a bunch of players on the DL.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that is mostly a myth and more of most hitters run into the dog days of the summer than their swing gets messed up from doing something they do every day in BP.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem is they are running into a scenario where they are going to have to choose soon between him and Santana though. With all of the collection of OF talent they have in the minors, they only have 1 spot for a DH. And they need a crap load of help when it comes to pitching for this team to compete in Jerry’s 2021 window.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always come through with the data I'm too lazy/busy to research.

I can only try :lol:

Now, before we just pass on this, it has to be remembered that the 1962 Mets were an expansion team, and widely considered the worst team to ever play in the majors. They literally won just 25% of their games (40-120) and still hold the record for most losses. That improbable 13-2 start may be the only reason this year's team doesn't challenge for that record (playing the way they have been the last 37 games).

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 200 unearned is out of the question then unless they just shit with errors all over the place.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only try :lol:

Now, before we just pass on this, it has to be remembered that the 1962 Mets were an expansion team, and widely considered the worst team to ever play in the majors. They literally won just 25% of their games (40-120) and still hold the record for most losses. That improbable 13-2 start may be the only reason this year's team doesn't challenge for that record (playing the way they have been the last 37 games).

From what I remember I predicted we'd win or lose 75 games +/- 3 or so. That was with the assumption that the pitching would be this bad, the offense would be around what it has been so far, but I didn't anticipate the defense being this bad. I'd probably put that at 70 now seeing how bad the defense has been

I don't think they're as bad as their last 37 games, but obviously they're not nearly as good as their 13-2 start. Hopefully for the sake of draft positioning, we are as bad as our last 37 games.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 200 unearned is out of the question then unless they just shit with errors all over the place.

When it comes to errors, the biggest issues have been 3B and LF. When Seager returns, we won't be forced to have Healy playing 3B anymore (9 errors in 44 games at 3B) and I have to assume that Domingo Santana will get his shit together.

I don't understand how or why Santana is committing so many errors. I'd say that's one of the bigger anomalies with the team so far. He somehow has 8 errors playing outfield in 49 games. Prior to this season he had 11 errors in his previous 371 games. That doesn't make much sense to me and I have to assume/hope that this trend won't continue.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is they are running into a scenario where they are going to have to choose soon between him and Santana though. With all of the collection of OF talent they have in the minors, they only have 1 spot for a DH. And they need a crap load of help when it comes to pitching for this team to compete in Jerry’s 2021 window.

I think for now the Mariners can stand by with Vogelbach at DH and Santana in LF. Domingo has been exceptionally awful defensively, but I have to assume that will improve. It's way, way, way below his career norm. He was never a great defender, but good enough to justify keeping in LF with his offensive ability.

Julio Rodriguez and Jarred Kelenic likely won't be in the bigs until late 2020 at the earliest, and more likely early 2021. It's a log jam that I think we can deal with right now. If both Vogelbach and Santana continue hitting the way they are right now, I'd probably choose Vogelbach between the two of them. Biggest issue with moving Santana is that it appears the league doesn't value him all that much since we were able to land him for Gamel.

One big variable is Mallex Smith. Unsure what is going on with him right now. Prior to coming back to Seattle he was a plus defender and has been almost as awful as Santana. It confuses me as to how two 26 year old outfielders have regressed so much defensively. It's not like either has lost any of their athletic ability.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe talk to the yankees. Seems like they have a bunch of players on the DL.

Yeah that was my first thought as well. They acquired Kendrys Morales recently, but that seems like a bandaid considering his struggles.

I'm not sure how aggressive the Yanks will look for a DH with the injury situations of Stanton and Judge. I assume when they come back, they'll want to alternate them at DH to help ease them back. Here is an interesting article I read on him:

The state of the trade market for Edwin Encarnación

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One big variable is Mallex Smith. Unsure what is going on with him right now. Prior to coming back to Seattle he was a plus defender and has been almost as awful as Santana. It confuses me as to how two 26 year old outfielders have regressed so much defensively. It's not like either has lost any of their athletic ability.

I think you can live with below average defense in LF if your CF can make up the difference. However the Mariners obviously dont have that right now, not even close.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can live with below average defense in LF if your CF can make up the difference. However the Mariners obviously dont have that right now, not even close.

Very true. I'm still really confused as to why Mallex Smith and Domingo Santana have performed so below their career norms defensively. A regression makes sense if someone is aging, but they're both still young.

The only thing close to speculation I can offer for this is lack of effort or concentration playing on an awful team. I have no idea.

It's one thing for a hitter to go on a cold streak because those things happen. Doesn't seem like players go on cold streaks defensively.