• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This game to me all falls on Kaep.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why can't it be both? There are prospects that has both size and speed

Sure, and I have no problem with going with one of those guys. I'm just saying, between the two, I want a guy who can stretch the field first, and a guy who can make physical plays against tight coverage second. Hell, a deep threat doesn't have to be an outright burner, but we need someone to keep safeties honest.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is the reason why I have been advocating bigger/taller WR's... Fixing accuarcy is hard to do.. It takes time and

Spelling accuracy is difficult, too.

Obviously, there is the extreme of our former quarterback who would not take a risk. Do you think that Harbaugh is stressing to Kaepernick to protect the ball too much? Obviously, we're speaking in relative terms. Kaepernick still takes more risk than Smith, but compared to the first year? Compared to what he could be taking? Or do you think we are really being smart because we don't have those tall receivers?

The reason why I ask is because when you said having tall receivers that can fight for the ball, I instantly thought about what if they don't fight? I also thought about whether we would be taking the risks even if we have those tall receivers.

Then you chose the wrong taller WR's.. Of course the Niners have to review the film on prospects and chose those who are physical enough to fight for the ball...

Also, there are always risk in anything.. like smaller WR are quicker/faster but you also risk injury going against bigger NFL defenders...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is the reason why I have been advocating bigger/taller WR's... Fixing accuarcy is hard to do.. It takes time and

Spelling accuracy is difficult, too.
Obviously, there is the extreme of our former quarterback who would not take a risk. Do you think that Harbaugh is stressing to Kaepernick to protect the ball too much? Obviously, we're speaking in relative terms. Kaepernick still takes more risk than Smith, but compared to the first year? Compared to what he could be taking? Or do you think we are really being smart because we don't have those tall receivers?

The reason why I ask is because when you said having tall receivers that can fight for the ball, I instantly thought about what if they don't fight? I also thought about whether we would be taking the risks even if we have those tall receivers.

it isn't spelling, believe its called transposition? but whatever its called, I understand it completely. :-(

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to land a nice Slot guy and a guy that can stretch the field.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you chose the wrong taller WR's.. Of course the Niners have to review the film on prospects and chose those who are physical enough to fight for the ball...

Also, there are always risk in anything.. like smaller WR are quicker/faster but you also risk injury going against bigger NFL defenders...

Do you think Jon Baldwin could fight if all else were ready? He might not know the playbook, but that should be fixed in the offseason. Is he a hard worker? Why didn't he make it? Lazy, stupid, came to us too late, etc.?

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a drill where he HAS to throw it to the second or third receiver on every play in a practice and has to look at the primary receiver first. So in other words, if the first read is over the middle throw to Crabtree, he has to look that way then throw it to VD, or Boldin (hopefully), or Patton.

QB's will tend to cheat. Even when you explain the drill to them they will start off doing it, but then will begin to go straight to their 2nd or 3rd option automatically after just a cursory glance at the primary.

One drill I do as a coach is we'll do pass drills with skelly (offense vs defense without lineman) and have a 3 second timer on each play. I'll tell my defensive coach who the primary receiver is and he will double team him so it forces the QB to make reads. We'll change it up and double the 2nd read or double the first and second read, or 1st and 3rd etc to help him with the reads. It can make a QB look horrible at first, but they eventually get it and make progress.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would like to land a nice Slot guy and a guy that can stretch the field.

this works too, someone quick who gets open quicker.

this might work better against Seattle in particular, cause quicker guys are harder to 'hold', especially in motion.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crabtree has a pretty good catch radius with his crazy long arms. So does Vance McDonald. I think we need speed first and foremost.

Does anyone think Baldwin has a prayer of returning?

I am not sure our management really wants speed, or at least speed over power. The speed we have had has been way underutilized, ie, Ted Ginn, LMJ, Hunter, Williams. Do we ever run a play to max the use of their speed? Extremely rare if at all.

I think our brain trust is all about smash-mouth and more smash-mouth, Gore up the gut and big power receivers. They have had a little success with it, but I think we could do even better by using speed more.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not sure our management really wants speed, or at least speed over power. The speed we have had has been way underutilized, ie, Ted Ginn, LMJ, Hunter, Williams. Do we ever run a play to max the use of their speed? Extremely rare if at all.

I think our brain trust is all about smash-mouth and more smash-mouth, Gore up the gut and big power receivers. They have had a little success with it, but I think we could do even better by using speed more.

Why did this smash mouth only brain trust draft Jenkins with a first round pick? And then add LMJ early in the draft? Both of those high picks didn't work out, but were made specifically to increase the speed on offense. A smash mouth only regime wouldn't turn those high draft picks into undersized prospects with speed.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let's see how Demaryius Thomas (6'3" 229) and Decker (6'3" 214) and Welker in the slot (5'9" 185) do against the Seahawk secondary this weekend. They might provide a blueprint of how to pass on them (or not).

Personally I think you need the bigger, physical receivers against Seattle. Thomas and Decker are really nice WR bookends if you ask me. :-)

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Let's see how Demaryius Thomas (6'3" 229) and Decker (6'3" 214) and Welker in the slot (5'9" 185) do against the Seahawk secondary this weekend. They might provide a blueprint of how to pass on them (or not).

Personally I think you need the bigger, physical receivers against Seattle. Thomas and Decker are really nice WR bookends if you ask me. :-)

The Julius Thomas - Earl Thomas matchup will be interesting to watch also.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Julius Thomas - Earl Thomas matchup will be interesting to watch also.

You don't think they'll stick Chancellor on him like they did with VD? He shut down VD pretty well.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You don't think they'll stick Chancellor on him like they did with VD? He shut down VD pretty well.

I was initially thinking about that, but Julius is not much of a blocker like VD is, so there is no need for Kam to always be on his side. He is more like a receiver in Denver's offense, so Seattle will probably mix and match the SS/FS on Julius' side based on what the rest of the receivers are doing. That's why I expect Earl Thomas to have his fair share of guarding Julius.

Last edited by a moderator:

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crabtree has a pretty good catch radius with his crazy long arms. So does Vance McDonald. I think we need speed first and foremost.

Does anyone think Baldwin has a prayer of returning?

I don't understand why Baldwin wasn't on the active roster. Maybe he didn't know the playbook. The Jenkins pick was a head scratcher.:noidea: It will be obvious that Watkins, Evans, Lee and Benjamin will be gone before the 30th pick. How about Brandin Cooks out of Oregon State? He's only 5'10", but is explosive. He can also return punts which the Niners desperately need. I also like Jordan Matthews out of Vanderbilt. He's 6'3", 210 lbs. and would be a big target in the red zone.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why Baldwin wasn't on the active roster. Maybe he didn't know the playbook. The Jenkins pick was a head scratcher.:noidea: It will be obvious that Watkins, Evans, Lee and Benjamin will be gone before the 30th pick. How about Brandin Cooks out of Oregon State? He's only 5'10", but is explosive. He can also return punts which the Niners desperately need. I also like Jordan Matthews out of Vanderbilt. He's 6'3", 210 lbs. and would be a big target in the red zone.

Baldwin never got a fair deal here IMO but maybe there's a reason for it... Idk... never saw him get a legit chance at WR when Crabtree was out but that could go back to Kap's man crush on Boldin which I won't get into(one read)

This happens to be a deep WR class in terms of many fans/"experts" analysis.

There's plenty of WRs we can pick from but hopefully we can pick the right one for US. Whether it be Big Ben 2.0, Arob, Evans, Paul R, Matthews, Lee(booo USC), etc....

I can't believe we're not in this SB.... i'm not going to get over this...

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Baldwin never got a fair deal here IMO but maybe there's a reason for it... Idk... never saw him get a legit chance at WR when Crabtree was out but that could go back to Kap's man crush on Boldin which I won't get into(one read)

This happens to be a deep WR class in terms of many fans/"experts" analysis.

There's plenty of WRs we can pick from but hopefully we can pick the right one for US. Whether it be Big Ben 2.0, Arob, Evans, Paul R, Matthews, Lee(booo USC), etc....

I can't believe we're not in this SB.... i'm not going to get over this...

:grouphug:

If Denver wins there will be some solace, but not much.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its what i have left...

i knew that billboard sign was going to bite us lol....

I know that did not actually have any effect, but we should not be getting involved with that type of stuff. There would be plenty of time to gloat afterwards; case in point, look at the Seahawks fans now. It wasn't as if they could gloat before and could not going after. They want to do both and there is no sense in doing so. Actually, now that I think about it, you cannot gloat afterwards because then you'd be a sore winner. Only the Seahawks are that. We prefer being sore losers. Just kidding.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
word is out that Boldin and Dawson might be signed before FA starts. That is good news.