• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This game to me all falls on Kaep.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kap had a shitty 4th qtr, but there were a lot of what if's in that game. One big run by seattle was the difference in the game IMO. Look at the second game we played them-- Gore's big run at the end sealed the win for us. We'll be back, and Seattle is beatable at home. Kap will be alright. He's young, and at least WANTS to be better. Let's just hope more money doesn't change him.

I don't doubt that he wants to be better. I'm just not sure he's taking the action he needs to. He absolutely has to work on his mechanics this offseason. He needs to live in the film room, watching the best pocket passers. He needs to work on his drops over and over and over. I don't love his throwing motion, but I can live with it if he cleans up his footwork and works on getting through his progressions. As I've said before, I don't want to see him going to an athlete's camp again. I want him working on his throwing, not his running.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt that he wants to be better. I'm just not sure he's taking the action he needs to. He absolutely has to work on his mechanics this offseason. He needs to live in the film room, watching the best pocket passers. He needs to work on his drops over and over and over. I don't love his throwing motion, but I can live with it if he cleans up his footwork and works on getting through his progressions. As I've said before, I don't want to see him going to an athlete's camp again. I want him working on his throwing, not his running.
:agree:I would agree with this and to add just forget the commercial bull-shit a nd try to be a better QB. If he doesn't perform as expected this next season...time to go. The 9ers still need a viable replacement in the QB position in case he gets hurt....

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You don't want Kap to be able to throw up 3 more 225 bench press reps, or shave 0.1 off his 40 time? :-)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, IF there is a way for him to improve this area, do focus on it. do focus on whatever other things you can to improve in the passing game. granted, this is easier said than done without actual full squad practice, so even if it is "little things".

he already has good teammates and more talent will be added, but it starts with himself. hopefully, other receivers are willing to work with him like last off season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep, IF there is a way for him to improve this area, do focus on it. do focus on whatever other things you can to improve in the passing game. granted, this is easier said than done without actual full squad practice, so even if it is "little things".

he already has good teammates and more talent will be added, but it starts with himself. hopefully, other receivers are willing to work with him like last off season.

Yeah, admittedly, I'm not sure how to work on progressions during the offseason. I think just some of the stuff Brees does in warm-ups, for instance. He runs the play, throws to the first read, but them mimes the other reads and throws. He develops a habit of looking at different reads on every single play. That's what Kap has to do. The how is tougher for me to pin down.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read an article recently -- just can't remember where --- where the author said that Kaep had decent footwork until he got flushed or pressured then his footwork in terms of planting, etc., was not great. So he has the basics down. I also agree he needs to live in the film room, and maybe he is, I think Maiocco or Barrows said during a chat that it was his impression he was studying film a lot, he just wasn't publicizing it so much.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another facet that Kaeps needs to improve on is his accuarcy on touch passes... Everyone knows he can zip passes but he struggles when he has to throw passes with an arc

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, admittedly, I'm not sure how to work on progressions during the offseason. I think just some of the stuff Brees does in warm-ups, for instance. He runs the play, throws to the first read, but them mimes the other reads and throws. He develops a habit of looking at different reads on every single play. That's what Kap has to do. The how is tougher for me to pin down.

yes, couldn't think of anything either, but even if multiple "little things", agree he should focus on those.

at this point it is no longer potential with the great arm, his passing skills has to show up. the rest of his "game" is more than ok.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he also needs to understand, no matter how strong he can zip it, he can't throw a ball through a defendor... hopefully there won't be a next time where he thinks he's hoodini...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another facet that Kaeps needs to improve on is his accuarcy on touch passes... Everyone knows he can zip passes but he struggles when he has to throw passes with an arc

yep, this is likely a big factor in our poor red zone offense? he looks great zipping it between the 20's, but in the red zone....................you need GOOD timing and accuracy.

this is also likely why Roman avoids screens, short passes in the middle, and passes to RB's other than wide to a sideline?

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe a drill where he HAS to throw it to the second or third receiver on every play in a practice and has to look at the primary receiver first. So in other words, if the first read is over the middle throw to Crabtree, he has to look that way then throw it to VD, or Boldin (hopefully), or Patton.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe a drill where he HAS to throw it to the second or third receiver on every play in a practice and has to look at the primary receiver first. So in other words, if the first read is over the middle throw to Crabtree, he has to look that way then throw it to VD, or Boldin (hopefully), or Patton.

Or working the options in reverse...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or working the options in reverse...

To the extent that he can, it might be a good idea. Some of the safety valves may open later, though.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yep, this is likely a big factor in our poor red zone offense? he looks great zipping it between the 20's, but in the red zone....................you need GOOD timing and accuracy.

this is also likely why Roman avoids screens, short passes in the middle, and passes to RB's other than wide to a sideline?

This is the reason why I have been advocating bigger/taller WR's... Fixing accuarcy is hard to do.. It takes time and lots of practice... Having WR's with larger catch radius and can go up and fight for the ball will help any QB with accuracy issues

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To the extent that he can, it might be a good idea. Some of the safety valves may open later, though.

I don't know what Mooch is doing this summer, but if I was Kap I would be trying to forge a relationship there...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is the reason why I have been advocating bigger/taller WR's... Fixing accuarcy is hard to do.. It takes time and lots of practice... Having WR's with larger catch radius and can go up and fight for the ball will help any QB with accuracy issues

Crabtree has a pretty good catch radius with his crazy long arms. So does Vance McDonald. I think we need speed first and foremost.

Does anyone think Baldwin has a prayer of returning?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

and this is fine if we can add these types. adding quality players on offense will help Kaep and everyone else........one way or another.

if Kaep never gets better himself or remains inconsistent, then the 49ers start looking for the next QB. nothing unusual here as this applies to all players.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the reason why I have been advocating bigger/taller WR's... Fixing accuarcy is hard to do.. It takes time and

Spelling accuracy is difficult, too.

Obviously, there is the extreme of our former quarterback who would not take a risk. Do you think that Harbaugh is stressing to Kaepernick to protect the ball too much? Obviously, we're speaking in relative terms. Kaepernick still takes more risk than Smith, but compared to the first year? Compared to what he could be taking? Or do you think we are really being smart because we don't have those tall receivers?

The reason why I ask is because when you said having tall receivers that can fight for the ball, I instantly thought about what if they don't fight? I also thought about whether we would be taking the risks even if we have those tall receivers.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crabtree has a pretty good catch radius with his crazy long arms. So does Vance McDonald. I think we need speed first and foremost.

Does anyone think Baldwin has a prayer of returning?

Why can't it be both? There are prospects that has both size and speed