• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown sugar, soy, lime juice, fish sauce, and ginger. Heat the sauce until it simmers. Lay the fish flesh side down and cover for about 5 minutes.
Thanks! Except I hve no fish sauce. Also they’re skinned

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a hair too long. But I ended up going with a ginger/orange glaze, hit the veggies with it tooE5BC72BC-1868-4870-B914-B6B23BF03BDB.jpeg

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just chikken on the grill, with Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Really the best. Green salad and a baked potato. I got chicken thighs at the butcher shop.

As long as it ain't rainin' I'm up for grillin'.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got done grinding a whitetail. Made 18 pounds of straight burger and 15 pounds of deer/brisket mix.
My man!

We did our little meat operation the day before Thanksgiving... 3 WT's in all... Think my pops took a portion to the butcher to get sausages made since he didn't want to do that ourselves.

We saved the tenderloins, a couple shoulders & the straps of course. Went with thicker strap steaks this year as I always tend to overcook them when I cut them about <1/2". I don't care if it means I have less steaks to cook, but I'm going to be much more satisfied! lol

The rest of the meat we ground up into regular burger (mixed with ground up bacon ends) and a summer sausage mix (ground up with pork fat). We had 10 1 & a half footer sausage rolls of the summer sausage (post 1073, pg54).

My father had been hunting hard this year & harvested both pronghorn & elk so he had little to no space in his freezers... And we're still working through some smoked salmon. My brother just recently got back into hunting so he wasn't prepared for storage... Basically I have 3 WT's worth of meat in my chest freezer right now. I f*cking love the feeling of having basically an unlimited supply of meat...

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a first. I ordered fresh fish online, and will go get it Friday. Rockfish, smoked bluefish and scallops. If we had room in the freezer I would have gotten more. It's a local place we've been going to this year. Gonna be eating fresh fish this weekend.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My man!

We did our little meat operation the day before Thanksgiving... 3 WT's in all... Think my pops took a portion to the butcher to get sausages made since he didn't want to do that ourselves.

We saved the tenderloins, a couple shoulders & the straps of course. Went with thicker strap steaks this year as I always tend to overcook them when I cut them about <1/2". I don't care if it means I have less steaks to cook, but I'm going to be much more satisfied! lol

The rest of the meat we ground up into regular burger (mixed with ground up bacon ends) and a summer sausage mix (ground up with pork fat). We had 10 1 & a half footer sausage rolls of the summer sausage (post 1073, pg54).

My father had been hunting hard this year & harvested both pronghorn & elk so he had little to no space in his freezers... And we're still working through some smoked salmon. My brother just recently got back into hunting so he wasn't prepared for storage... Basically I have 3 WT's worth of meat in my chest freezer right now. I f*cking love the feeling of having basically an unlimited supply of meat...
Hell yeah man. It's a damn satisfying feeling when you get done stacking all those butcher wrapped blocks of gold in your freezer!! Your summer sausage looked real good.

Overcooking the straps is very easy to do. Next time, cut that backstrap into 3 chunks. Salt, pepper, roast to 125, and then sear in cast iron and oil. Then slice it. Outside will be nice and crispy, inside med rare.

Where did your pops get his lope?

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a first. I ordered fresh fish online, and will go get it Friday. Rockfish, smoked bluefish and scallops. If we had room in the freezer I would have gotten more. It's a local place we've been going to this year. Gonna be eating fresh fish this weekend.
Fresh fish makes a world of difference. I got a FAS hookup that does a group buy twice a year up here. I load up on coho, spot shrimp and weathervane's. This year he had a few boxes of troll caught chum for 3$ a pound. Usually I still my nose up at chums but figured at that price it's worth a shot. Gonna smoke half and pressure can the other half.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yeah man. It's a damn satisfying feeling when you get done stacking all those butcher wrapped blocks of gold in your freezer!! Your summer sausage looked real good.

Overcooking the straps is very easy to do. Next time, cut that backstrap into 3 chunks. Salt, pepper, roast to 125, and then sear in cast iron and oil. Then slice it. Outside will be nice and crispy, inside med rare.

Where did your pops get his lope?
Down around Gooding, ID I believe... I want to say it was unit 52? But don't quote me on that.

Thanks for the strap cooking rec! I'll try it out!

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fresh fish makes a world of difference. I got a FAS hookup that does a group buy twice a year up here. I load up on coho, spot shrimp and weathervane's. This year he had a few boxes of troll caught chum for 3$ a pound. Usually I still my nose up at chums but figured at that price it's worth a shot. Gonna smoke half and pressure can the other half.
I used to live in Massachusetts. The fish there was better, and half the price. Summertime lobster was still under $5 a pound.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,096.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So stupid question.

I used to cook a lot, all the time, anything. I can cook, I fear no recipe.

but I have had various GI issues all my life. Most recently some really not fun stuff for years on end. I eat healthy, but it was the same foods daily. It was what I knew wouldn’t upset me.

part of my “care plan” is to flip my diet. Back to a lot of different Whole Foods .

Any place you guys go to for cooking/recipe ideas? Or like “I have these ingredients, let’s make this” places/apps“...

it’s been so long since I was doing meals constantly that my creativity is shot.

I know my man @DJ loves his food pron
Missed this.

:wank:

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venision stew. Started out with a bone in blade roast, browned It and let it soak in the slow cooker for 6 hours or so, adding the veggies towards the end. Pulled the meat and let it sit in the fridge for two days.

Added the tomatoes and warmed It back up. Pretty damn tasty.
129B2F7F-8F5A-430E-95CB-FA2BE3C764E7.jpeg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Venision stew. Started out with a bone in blade roast, browned It and let it soak in the slow cooker for 6 hours or so, adding the veggies towards the end. Pulled the meat and let it sit in the fridge for two days.

Added the tomatoes and warmed It back up. Pretty damn tasty.
View attachment 260038
Are those yukons? Love how you cooked them in the stew whole.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SteelersPride - Don't know if anyone rec'd this to you, but check out SuperCook.com . It's a "recipe builder". You input your ingredients on the left and then it comes up with recipes for you. It'll even list recipes you don't quite have enough ingredients for, but it will tell you exactly what you are missing which is nice. Sometimes you can simply come up with substitutes for those or just go without.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SteelersPride - Don't know if anyone rec'd this to you, but check out SuperCook.com . It's a "recipe builder". You input your ingredients on the left and then it comes up with recipes for you. It'll even list recipes you don't quite have enough ingredients for, but it will tell you exactly what you are missing which is nice. Sometimes you can simply come up with substitutes for those or just go without.
Thanks! I’ve seen a few of those sites. Not that one. The ones I’ve seen kinda stink. I will check it out.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks! I’ve seen a few of those sites. Not that one. The ones I’ve seen kinda stink. I will check it out.
Been a long time since I've used it, and it looks like it has come a long ways since. Hope it works for you! :suds:

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are those yukons? Love how you cooked them in the stew whole.
They sure are. I love me some potatoes. You can cook them 1000 ways and they are all good!

Pro TIp on stews and roasts: Cook them and then put them away, reheat after a few days and all the flavors come together. I discovered this a few years ago and find that it always tastes better! Of course if you cook a big enough batch you can eat it the day of and reheat!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They sure are. I love me some potatoes. You can cook them 1000 ways and they are all good!

Pro TIp on stews and roasts: Cook them and then put them away, reheat after a few days and all the flavors come together. I discovered this a few years ago and find that it always tastes better! Of course if you cook a big enough batch you can eat it the day of and reheat!
Very true. Always loved leftovers with stews. Generally anything gets better that way. I made some honey teriyaki shrimp a few months ago that I was way more impressed with during leftovers lol.

Another pro tip... Have you ever used potato spikes? Holy shit those revolutionized my potato game! No longer dreading the cook times.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true. Always loved leftovers with stews. Generally anything gets better that way. I made some honey teriyaki shrimp a few months ago that I was way more impressed with during leftovers lol.

Another pro tip... Have you ever used potato spikes? Holy shit those revolutionized my potato game! No longer dreading the cook times.
Potato spikes??? I'm gonna have to look them up....