• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Across The Field and I were talking about it being cool if there was a thread to post pics of things hooplans had cooked. I'm not talking about professional pics from recipes that you've cooked, I'm talking about pics that you took of food that you cooked.

Then we can all make fun of each other and the shitty food we make.

So here goes the first:

I've been trying to perfect my filets in cast iron. Personally, I like Pittsburgh rare, but I'm having a hard time getting the pan hot enough to put the Pittsburgh crust on the steak.

Anyway, here is the result of last Friday's attempt. Didn't get the Pittsburgh, or the rare, but they were mid-rare and really good.

IMG_2049.JPG

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Across The Field and I were talking about it being cool if there was a thread to post pics of things hooplans had cooked. I'm not talking about professional pics from recipes that you've cooked, I'm talking about pics that you took of food that you cooked.

Then we can all make fun of each other and the shitty food we make.

So here goes the first:

I've been trying to perfect my filets in cast iron. Personally, I like Pittsburgh rare, but I'm having a hard time getting the pan hot enough to put the Pittsburgh crust on the steak.

Anyway, here is the result of last Friday's attempt. Didn't get the Pittsburgh, or the rare, but they were mid-rare and really good.

View attachment 84562
If I were to offer any advise based on that picture, get a lot more liberal with your pepper use. I basically treat mine like I'm making blackened chicken. Remember, roughly 40% of the seasoning you put on is going to come off in the pan, whether you're using stainless or a cast iron. I've also found that it's fair more beneficial to apply the olive oil directly to the steak as opposed to putting it in the pan. I usually season, then add the olive oil, then add another strong layer of pepper. Otherwise, though, that looks like a damn tasty steak. Also, is that broccolini on the side?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were to offer any advise based on that picture, get a lot more liberal with your pepper use. I basically treat mine like I'm making blackened chicken. Remember, roughly 40% of the seasoning you put on is going to come off in the pan, whether you're using stainless or a cast iron. I've also found that it's fair more beneficial to apply the olive oil directly to the steak as opposed to putting it in the pan. I usually season, then add the olive oil, then add another strong layer of pepper. Otherwise, though, that looks like a damn tasty steak. Also, is that broccolini on the side?

I've started the season-oil-season method too. I agree that I need to refine my seasoning amounts. I used salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.

That's just regular broccoli. I steamed it just for a couple minutes and then, as the steaks rested, I tossed the broccoli into the cast iron with some butter and garlic for a minute or so. It was alright - nothing I'd rave about.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another thread, you'd asked if I've ever bought meat at the West Side Market. I haven't but I've been meaning to. I guess there's a place there that specializes in skirt steaks, which when done right, might be my favorite. I just found that out a couple months ago and I've been meaning to go up there, but my schedule has been pretty fucked up.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've started the season-oil-season method too. I agree that I need to refine my seasoning amounts. I used salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.

That's just regular broccoli. I steamed it just for a couple minutes and then, as the steaks rested, I tossed the broccoli into the cast iron with some butter and garlic for a minute or so. It was alright - nothing I'd rave about.
I think I need to start adventuring out on my seasonings like you do. I'll probably be doing a steak the Monday after the Super Bowl, and I think I'm just going to go with a simple strip this time, but I'd like to get a little bold on what I'm putting on it. I'll be sure to post the results.

That broccoli looks great. If you don't use broccolini much, I highly recommend it as a side. All in all, definitely a damn tasty-looking meal.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another thread, you'd asked if I've ever bought meat at the West Side Market. I haven't but I've been meaning to. I guess there's a place there that specializes in skirt steaks, which when done right, might be my favorite. I just found that out a couple months ago and I've been meaning to go up there, but my schedule has been pretty fucked up.
Now that's one area I've never gone into. How do you do a proper skirt?

Also, on a non-steak note, there's a pork specialty place run by two chicks that does some wicked bacon. I have a couple of lbs in the freezer, one lb cajun and one lb black pepper. I'm taking them down camping next month to Hocking Hills, which should go over well.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that's one area I've never gone into. How do you do a proper skirt?

Well, you kind of treat it like a flank. Strong marinades/rubs. I've seen skirts as thick as typical flanks, and I've seen thinner ones - honestly, I'm not sure the difference, which is why I think it would be cool to talk to the folks at West Side. I like the thinner ones and the fat on those tastes unlike any other fat I've had from a steak. Delicious.

I went to Tom Colicchio's Craftsteak once and we ordered the Wagyu beef tasting for the table. It came with a filet, ribeye, strip and skirt, all sliced so that we could sample the different cuts. All four of us picked the skirt as their favorite, which shocked me. I'd never had a skirt steak prior to that, but it was ridiculously fucking good.

I use it a lot for grilled fajitas. It's been my experience that if the skirt is too thick, I don't like it as well.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, on a non-steak note...

I don't want this to get pigeon holed into a steak-only thread, so here's some chicken. Thomas Keller's buttermilk fried chicken from Ad Hoc. It takes a long time because you make a brine from scratch, brine the chicken, then coat and cook it. If I'm serving it Saturday night, I usually start prepping Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

People go nuts over it.

IMG_0309.JPG

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking good! Is that a strip?

Yes sir,topped with a little blue cheese(something I do 1 out of 15 steaks). I prefer a nice thick rib eye with the bone still in, but that was on sale and I was just grabbing something for myself that night since my better half had a meeting at Maggiano's.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you kind of treat it like a flank. Strong marinades/rubs. I've seen skirts as thick as typical flanks, and I've seen thinner ones - honestly, I'm not sure the difference, which is why I think it would be cool to talk to the folks at West Side. I like the thinner ones and the fat on those tastes unlike any other fat I've had from a steak. Delicious.

I went to Tom Colicchio's Craftsteak once and we ordered the Wagyu beef tasting for the table. It came with a filet, ribeye, strip and skirt, all sliced so that we could sample the different cuts. All four of us picked the skirt as their favorite, which shocked me. I'd never had a skirt steak prior to that, but it was ridiculously fucking good.

I use it a lot for grilled fajitas. It's been my experience that if the skirt is too thick, I don't like it as well.
Oh man, that sounds awesome. Thin-sliced quality steak is such a versatile protein, you can use it in so many different ways. I may have to look into that later this year.

Speaking of quality steak, I'm going to Vegas later this month and got reservations at SW Steakhouse, which is one of only two steakhouses in the US that is certified by the Japanese Kobe Beef Council, so I'm going to get my first taste. I am pumped.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want this to get pigeon holed into a steak-only thread, so here's some chicken. Thomas Keller's buttermilk fried chicken from Ad Hoc. It takes a long time because you make a brine from scratch, brine the chicken, then coat and cook it. If I'm serving it Saturday night, I usually start prepping Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

People go nuts over it.

View attachment 84568
True brined and fried chicken is highly underated.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes sir,topped with a little blue cheese(something I do 1 out of 15 steaks). I prefer a nice thick rib eye with the bone still in, but that was on sale and I was just grabbing something for myself that night since my better half had a meeting at Maggiano's.

Yeah, ribeyes are probably my favorite, but I make a lot more filets because they're leaner. The ribeyes are a special treat from time to time.

I do like strips, but I don't make them too often because Mrs Redfoot isn't a huge fan of them.

Reactions: 006

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of quality steak, I'm going to Vegas later this month and got reservations at SW Steakhouse, which is one of only two steakhouses in the US that is certified by the Japanese Kobe Beef Council, so I'm going to get my first taste. I am pumped.

Holy shit! I would be psyched too!

I tried Del Frisco's out there last year and was disappointed. It was good, it just didn't live up to the expectations I had. I think my favorite steakhouse out there is Delmonico's, but I have not been to SW.

The restaurants in Vegas are so fucking good. That's really why I go out there.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the spirit of posting pictures, I'll put up the two filets I made recently:

Take 1: On the stainless
IMG_1204.jpg

Take 2: on the cast iron
38ab833d_cc4a_4d78_809e_0871c1481657.jpg

Was definitely happier with the stainless steel in terms of crust, but they were also slightly different grades.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit! I would be psyched too!

I tried Del Frisco's out there last year and was disappointed. It was good, it just didn't live up to the expectations I had. I think my favorite steakhouse out there is Delmonico's, but I have not been to SW.

The restaurants in Vegas are so fucking good. That's really why I go out there.
I'm hesitant to check out Delmonico's again after going to the one in Independence last summer. That might have been the most disappointing steak I've ever had. I got the prime strip that they advertise so much (and is their most expensive) and it was extremely bland and had no crust whatsoever. I'm assuming the one in Vegas has to be better, though.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True brined and fried chicken is highly underated.

Yep. That recipe calls for an herby/lemony brine and some cayenne pepper in the flour mix, so the breading has a little kick, but the meat has this sublime flavor to it. Sofa king good.