• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things that aren't wrong

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is NOT wrong with the Flyers team looking beyond the playoffs and towards the draft and next season.

1. Goaltending. More to the point, Steve Mason as the starter. Mason has not been the problem at all this year. He has given the team a chance to win every game he has been in.

2. PK. Cooter, Raffl and Read are all excellent two way players and thrive on the PK. They all have the two way chops to play 2nd line minutes on most teams (and probably should on this team).

3. the Future. Laughton, Gus, Akeson, there is hope for the future. Yes, there are still some questions, and there are going to need to be some changes to the 2nd - 4th lines and all 3 d pairings as well as the back up goalie....but the future is not bleak...just have to keep telling myself that.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is NOT wrong with the Flyers team looking beyond the playoffs and towards the draft and next season.

1. Goaltending. More to the point, Steve Mason as the starter. Mason has not been the problem at all this year. He has given the team a chance to win every game he has been in.

2. PK. Cooter, Raffl and Read are all excellent two way players and thrive on the PK. They all have the two way chops to play 2nd line minutes on most teams (and probably should on this team).

3. the Future. Laughton, Gus, Akeson, there is hope for the future. Yes, there are still some questions, and there are going to need to be some changes to the 2nd - 4th lines and all 3 d pairings as well as the back up goalie....but the future is not bleak...just have to keep telling myself that.

i think what has bothered me soo much down the stretch is that this line is too commited to being shut down defensively? is that ok to be mad at? I just think Coot has the skills to be a 20-30 goal guy and that line in general is just content on being shut down defenders. they give up on too many offensive chances and we need them to pose a threat to the top line who is usually weaker defensively.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think what has bothered me soo much down the stretch is that this line is too commited to being shut down defensively? is that ok to be mad at? I just think Coot has the skills to be a 20-30 goal guy and that line in general is just content on being shut down defenders. they give up on too many offensive chances and we need them to pose a threat to the top line who is usually weaker defensively.

they definitely seem very reluctant to take any chances offensively. for most of the series it seems like they've had the most offensive zone pressure, but it's all on the perimeter. they need to drive the net more, get to the dirty areas. and on that line, it's got to be coots to do it i think. read and akeson aren't big enough.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will create more offense over time but when you're young the first step in that role is to simply shut down your opponent. Scoring goals is a bonus and when that comes Couts will be special....it will happen it's just a matter of when.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke SHenn has been our best D-Man

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2am and I had the thought...Morin, Hagg, Alt, Gus, the Ghost, Laurissden...all within 18 mos from being regulars...kinda like that thought...

Yes, I too want to see Cooter get more offensive minutes. He should be the 2nd line center with his skills in the offensive zone. His willingness to play a two way game make him invaliable as a 3rd line center. When Laughton arrives the Brayden Schenn questions will be louder and louder...is he a step above either Cooter or Laughton? Should he be on the wing?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2am and I had the thought...Morin, Hagg, Alt, Gus, the Ghost, Laurissden...all within 18 mos from being regulars...kinda like that thought...

Yes, I too want to see Cooter get more offensive minutes. He should be the 2nd line center with his skills in the offensive zone. His willingness to play a two way game make him invaliable as a 3rd line center. When Laughton arrives the Brayden Schenn questions will be louder and louder...is he a step above either Cooter or Laughton? Should he be on the wing?

Rather impressive how the Flyers have built that defensive pipeline in such a short time. Just 1 year ago that appeared to be the franchise's greatest weakness, not anymore.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather impressive how the Flyers have built that defensive pipeline in such a short time. Just 1 year ago that appeared to be the franchise's greatest weakness, not anymore.

Yet Homer is crap? With the Mac signing and kids coming up the drafting of Laughton now looks like a wise decision as that forward core will be even stronger once he arrives...can't wait!

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet Homer is crap? With the Mac signing and kids coming up the drafting of Laughton now looks like a wise decision as that forward core will be even stronger once he arrives...can't wait!

I'm one who would like to see Homer go and it's not because he's crap, he just makes rash decisions at times and with the roster we have built up that scares me. Now this may be displaced on him and in fact be Snider's fault entirely but Homer is the face of it. My biggest problem is signing aging players to long term contracts like Pronger, Streit, Vinny. I mean with as many older guys as we've signed over the years it should be obvious that long term is not the way to go with aging players, if that makes them choose not to come here then fine but at least we're not handicapping ourselves as their in the decline of the careers. That really is my biggest problem with Homer past some of the trades earlier in his tenure, the Pronger trade in particular but that has a lot to do with the 7 year 35+ deal that he signed immediately afterwards. With that said I'd rather have a declining Pronger on this team then have had to watch him suffer and then read about the after affects of his injuries, no one should have to have their daily life impacted in the way he has.

The past 2 year Homer has done a phenomenal job in his signings and trades, the drafting isn't all him but he has taken a backseat in that process from what I understand and let the men the organization hire do their jobs properly (this was something Clarke was more times then not unwilling to do, other then in the first round). I'd be fine with Homer coming back as long as he stays the course and doesn't do something dumb like trade, Couturier, either of the Schenns, Simmonds, Voracek or our propsects away for another aging player or just massively overpay if a guy like Weber is available.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luke SHenn has been our best D-Man

:agree:

He's looked pretty good IMO so far, having AMAC with him has really helped his confidence but he still has to work on picking the right time to shoot and he needs to be more physical now. Our defense has looked way out of sorts for some reason, I think it has to do with poor back checking on the part of some of our forwards.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

He's looked pretty good IMO so far, having AMAC with him has really helped his confidence but he still has to work on picking the right time to shoot and he needs to be more physical now. Our defense has looked way out of sorts for some reason, I think it has to do with poor back checking on the part of some of our forwards.

i really like the AMac/Schenn pairing. they've played very well thus far. Streit is playing really well too IMO.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm one who would like to see Homer go and it's not because he's crap, he just makes rash decisions at times and with the roster we have built up that scares me. Now this may be displaced on him and in fact be Snider's fault entirely but Homer is the face of it. My biggest problem is signing aging players to long term contracts like Pronger, Streit, Vinny. I mean with as many older guys as we've signed over the years it should be obvious that long term is not the way to go with aging players, if that makes them choose not to come here then fine but at least we're not handicapping ourselves as their in the decline of the careers. That really is my biggest problem with Homer past some of the trades earlier in his tenure, the Pronger trade in particular but that has a lot to do with the 7 year 35+ deal that he signed immediately afterwards. With that said I'd rather have a declining Pronger on this team then have had to watch him suffer and then read about the after affects of his injuries, no one should have to have their daily life impacted in the way he has.

The past 2 year Homer has done a phenomenal job in his signings and trades, the drafting isn't all him but he has taken a backseat in that process from what I understand and let the men the organization hire do their jobs properly (this was something Clarke was more times then not unwilling to do, other then in the first round). I'd be fine with Homer coming back as long as he stays the course and doesn't do something dumb like trade, Couturier, either of the Schenns, Simmonds, Voracek or our propsects away for another aging player or just massively overpay if a guy like Weber is available.

It's not just about whether or not Holmgren is competent is his job (IMHO, he's competent but not capable of bringing home the Cup due to his "win now" mentality EVERY year), but also what you might lose by leaving him in the position:

Multiple general manager openings exist across the NHL ? could Philadelphia Flyers AGM Ron Hextall fill one? | Edmonton Journal

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i actually think homer has shown a good deal more patience than we give him credit for. the flyers missed the playoffs last year, and started what, 7-15 this year? and homer did nothing to endanger the future of any of the guys you mentioned. he stayed the course. when he tried to improve the team and nobody would listen unless he included couturier, he hung up the phone.

he's also passed on unsavory contract demands like leino's or carle's. and the only trade he made for an aging star was pronger, which i didn't agree w/, but the team he assembled after that trade came within 2 wins of the cup. so it's hard to argue the results of that one.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just about whether or not Holmgren is competent is his job (IMHO, he's competent but not capable of bringing home the Cup due to his "win now" mentality EVERY year), but also what you might lose by leaving him in the position:

Multiple general manager openings exist across the NHL ? could Philadelphia Flyers AGM Ron Hextall fill one? | Edmonton Journal

i'm not sure getting rid of a competant GM because you THINK you have a competant GM behind him is the right way of looking at it though.

and i disagree that homer has the 'win now' mentality every year too. if he had that philosophy we would've seen a big roster overhaul last summer or early this year, and we didnt. perhaps early in his tenure he did, but once he realized that some rebuilding was necessary, he eased up. the only 'star prospect' he's traded away in the past couple years was JvR, and he brought a 'star prospect' back in luke schenn. he made a couple minor moves at the deadline this year, instead of trying to trade laughton or ghost for an impact player to try to make a run this year.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure getting rid of a competant GM because you THINK you have a competent GM behind him is the right way of looking at it though.

and i disagree that homer has the 'win now' mentality every year too. if he had that philosophy we would've seen a big roster overhaul last summer or early this year, and we didnt. perhaps early in his tenure he did, but once he realized that some rebuilding was necessary, he eased up. the only 'star prospect' he's traded away in the past couple years was JvR, and he brought a 'star prospect' back in luke schenn. he made a couple minor moves at the deadline this year, instead of trying to trade laughton or ghost for an impact player to try to make a run this year.

1) Depends on what you really think of Hextall. Sometimes the pupil really is better than the teacher. I don't have enough info wither way, but I hear you.

2)We'll agree to disagree. The Streit and LeCavalier signings were terrible moves for a team that was clearly NOT ready to contend. Instead, we now just have 2 more players who will be anchors on the Cap by the time the young core hits its prime. I liked the Richards and Carter trades. Go young, let the players mature for a couple of years and see what holes remain to be filled. Instead, as usual, even the "rebuild" was half-assed. Holmgren is looking over his shoulder and that's not an effective situation if we want the Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Depends on what you really think of Hextall. Sometimes the pupil really is better than the teacher. I don't have enough info wither way, but I hear you.

2)We'll agree to disagree. The Streit and LeCavalier signings were terrible moves for a team that was clearly NOT ready to contend. Instead, we now just have 2 more players who will be anchors on the Cap by the time the young core hits its prime. I liked the Richards and Carter trades. Go young, let the players mature for a couple of years and see what holes remain to be filled. Instead, as usual, even the "rebuild" was half-assed. Holmgren is looking over his shoulder and that's not an effective situation if we want the Cup.

lecavalier i agree on, but streit has been very solid the past couple months. but i do see your point, it's unlikely he maintains this pace moving forward and will likely be an issue down the road. i guess i define 'win now' as trading away all your prospects, which he hasn't done, which is a good thing. he's never been phenomanal in established NHL talent free agency, but at this point, i dont think any GMs really are.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Streit reminds me a lot of Pitkanen in the way that some nights he is ridiculously good, makes smart little plays and is constantly in position but other nights he's trying to force puck rushes, over handling the puck and trying to use what he considers his "above average skating ability" to compensate for being out of position. Overall I think he's played much better the past few months and on the whole has been better then he's been bad but I don't think it was the right time to sign a player like him.

Vinny has been a complete disaster, he single handedly pulls down whatever line he's on (unless it's the 4th) and he's useless on the PP if he has to move. I really hope they buy him out and I almost don't even care about the residual cap hit. I really hope we can somehow trade him or he discloses some long nagging injury at the end of the season to explain his horrendous play.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's never been phenomanal in established NHL talent free agency, but at this point, i dont think any GMs really are.

I think it's about being honest with yourself about the state of your team, and knowing WHEN to pick your spots and gamble on free agents. Holmgren failed miserably with this, which is why I'm being so hard on him. He obviously felt he needed the Flyers to have a good season this year in order to save his job, even if it crippled their chances of winning the Cup down the road.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vinny has been a complete disaster, he single handedly pulls down whatever line he's on (unless it's the 4th) and he's useless on the PP if he has to move. I really hope they buy him out and I almost don't even care about the residual cap hit. I really hope we can somehow trade him or he discloses some long nagging injury at the end of the season to explain his horrendous play.

Not disagreeing with you, but how close is he really to being 100% healthy? If I remember right he was one of the few bright spots early on when most of the team was playing like crap until he had the broken bone in his back. He hasn't been the same player since his return.