• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The Tribe visit the Rangers 6/6 to 6/9

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 3/4 year contract with another 1B/DH type would not be ideal- I would much rather have it invested in pitching or even somewhere else. Fielder alone is enough invested in 1B, we will still have Moreland, Choo might resemble a DH in 4 years or so, and lets not forget Beltre's defense have fell off some so he may be a DH or part time DH come next season. Feilder may have to DH some coming off of injury. The point would be, we would be overloading on 1B/DH types and making a huge finical commitment there and if you spend more money one place- you spend less somewhere else.

Also, it's my understanding we haven't seen any of that insurance money on Fielder or Harrison at this point. It's possible that we don't see it now. Not only would spending it now be doing so on "credit," we actually could invest that money in helping get us some pitching which will almost certainly will need with Harrison being doubtful to return to baseball and Perez coming off of TJ.

I guess, I just don't see how Morales would put us over the top. Sure, we would have a better offense but the pitching stays the same. As a Ranger fan you should be all too familiar with the combination of top level defense and bottom level pitching and the results that gets you.

Fielder is an investment. Morales would not be. He would be gone at the end of the year. You act like I said to sign him for multiple years. I remember I told you a few days ago that I thought we could get him with a 1 year deal, and you said it would take more than that. Morales would not have gotten in the way of any future plans at 1B or DH.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I come home from Church to find Moreland basically out for the year? What in Heaven's name is wrong with this team?!

He went from being not hurt to RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY in a blink
if you think it can't get any crazier....

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He went from being not hurt to RECONSTRUCTION SURGERY in a blink
if you think it can't get any crazier....
I'm moving to Houston...

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I am saying that. The team could of signed Cruz, Morales, or someone else in the Offseason to further solidify our lineup. Another good bat would've given us a scary 1-6 with several up and comers hitting in the last 3 slots. The team didn't sign anyone to compete with Mitch, Mitch could've and should've been traded to the pirates and we should've signed a reliable RH DH to diversify the lineup. Kouzmanoff did better than Mitch this season and the guy only played for 2-3 weeks. Mitch got 60 games and hit around .250 with 2 home runs. Unacceptable numbers for a guy at the 1B or DH position.

He signed a very expensive offense piece in Choo, and spent on another (should have been) offensive powerhouse
It's the whole picture, there were a lot of holes to fill, and he can't fill every one of them in one off-season
MM was inexpensive, so why not give him one more shot.
I was in agreement to keep him in the off-season, did I want a more proven DH? Sure, but the reality is it's not a blank check.

In hindsight (for me and a few others foresight) we may have been much better off signing Cruz over Choo. We could have saved some money and some years and had it to invest in others players like Morales or as I was saying at the time lock up another decent pitcher. I'm completely happy with Choo and he was having a monster season before that ankle injury but its pretty clear that what Cruz has been doing would have been much more helpful. Still we would have needed a lead off hitter.. perhaps Rios would have fit that bill.

Either way though, that's not the case so it doesn't matter. Hopefully we can find a way to win with who we got because that is the plan for now and I can understand that. Shoot, being where we are with all the injuries we have had is pretty amazing.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He signed a very expensive offense piece in Choo, and spent on another (should have been) offensive powerhouse
It's the whole picture, there were a lot of holes to fill, and he can't fill every one of them in one off-season
MM was inexpensive, so why not give him one more shot.
I was in agreement to keep him in the off-season, did I want a more proven DH? Sure, but the reality is it's not a blank check.
And you forgot to tell him 1yr of Morales wasn't worth a draft choice and Cruz took less money to play for Baltimore.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight (for me and a few others foresight) we may have been much better off signing Cruz over Choo. We could have saved some money and some years and had it to invest in others players like Morales or as I was saying at the time lock up another decent pitcher. I'm completely happy with Choo and he was having a monster season before that ankle injury but its pretty clear that what Cruz has been doing would have been much more helpful. Still we would have needed a lead off hitter.. perhaps Rios would have fit that bill.

Either way though, that's not the case so it doesn't matter. Hopefully we can find a way to win with who we got because that is the plan for now and I can understand that. Shoot, being where we are with all the injuries we have had is pretty amazing.

And we wouldn't have a lead off hitter.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unbelievable. And I suppose this effected his swing. And Adducci re-injured his finger. Great!

When is Cowboy season. It's a much safer sport!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we wouldn't have a lead off hitter.
And Fielder was signed as a power hitter before injury. This was a good team before disaster hit at no fault of anyone. Too many problems to fix in a short time.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unbelievable. And I suppose this effected his swing. And Adducci re-injured his finger. Great!

When is Cowboy season. It's a much safer sport!
lolol

oh yeah, back up to the back up DOWN

and as Bleslie pointed out, maybe back up to the back up to the back up.

and no one is actually getting back up

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder is an investment. Morales would not be. He would be gone at the end of the year. You act like I said to sign him for multiple years. I remember I told you a few days ago that I thought we could get him with a 1 year deal, and you said it would take more than that. Morales would not have gotten in the way of any future plans at 1B or DH.

You had asked about a 3/4 year deal so that's what I answered for. Evidently I was wrong about the multyear deal for Morales. I'm wrong sometimes and can admit it. As for just getting him this season though, I still don't think he would have been worth the $7.4M he got simply because I don't think even with him, that sort of move makes us any more of a contender. Seems wiser to save that money for a future investment. I sure wouldn't have complained too much if we got him though. I mean at the end of the day it's not my money.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to imagine we don't condition like the other teams. But ... :scratch:

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OH, but even this being said, I should have mentioned that I think even if we had both Choo and Cruz right now I wouldn't envision us being much better than where we are now... still way too many other injuries to account for. The main thing in being down your 2,3,and 4 starters. That's tough to overcome no matter who you have on offense.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had asked about a 3/4 year deal so that's what I answered for. Evidently I was wrong about the multyear deal for Morales. I'm wrong sometimes and can admit it. As for just getting him this season though, I still don't think he would have been worth the $7.4M he got simply because I don't think even with him, that sort of move makes us any more of a contender. Seems wiser to save that money for a future investment. I sure wouldn't have complained too much if we got him though. I mean at the end of the day it's not my money.

Whoops, you meant 3/4 year deal... I took at as 3-4 year deal. I stand corrected there as well. Still stick with the sentences that follow though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we keep beating the Cruz drum? He had a QO that was fair and he turned it down. Signed for less money with Baltimore. Isn't it obvious he did not want to play here? Is to me. Let it go.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cruz could get hurt tomorrow...or drop off the charts, and there isn't a bigger Nellie fan than myself.

hindsight is the problem. (this is not directed at you)
considering all of our needs, JD didn't have a good off-season, he had an above average to excellent one

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm moving to Houston...
Go Astros!!!! :yahoo:

I'm a bandwagon fan!!!

Actually, never cared for the Astros, and not about to start now. I guess if I choose bandwagon, I'll jump on the Braves wagon....but that has a few bad wheels as well...