• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The Tribe visit the Rangers 6/6 to 6/9

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did we save money on Fielder or Harrison- their contracts are guaranteed?

Also, here is another way of looking at it. We have given up the 4thmost runs in the MLB, 293. That means we are giving up 4.73 runs per game on average. Now, we have scored 263 runs which means that on average we score 4.24 runs per game. So basically Morales would have to make up for a full half a run per game to be effective. The point is our offense isn't the problem. Teams that give up this many runs don't make playoffs runs- making any further investment at this point. Now if they can get pitching back up to par come the trade deadline, maybe you start to shop around but adding one bat won't solve our problems, especially when I main problem is pitching.

I think he was saying we saved money on Fielder by getting rid of Ian's contract.
But I agree with you, no point in going after Morales.
We don't have the pitching, do what you can internally. They'll sort this mess out for next season

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt JD gives up on MM next year and it makes no sense.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, here is another way of looking at it. We have given up the 4thmost runs in the MLB, 293. That means we are giving up 4.73 runs per game on average. Now, we have scored 263 runs which means that on average we score 4.24 runs per game. So basically Morales would have to make up for a full half a run per game to be effective. The point is our offense isn't the problem. Teams that give up this many runs don't make playoffs runs- making any further investment at this point doesn't make sense and could jeopardize the future. Now if they can get pitching back up to par come the trade deadline, maybe you start to shop around but adding one bat won't solve our problems, especially when I main problem is pitching.
Excellent point Ranger Dude.

But I think where Justin is coming from is marketing. By not pushing harder for Morales if the FO knew About Moreland ( and I'm sure they did), tells the fan base that they've given up on this season. Now if this was the Rangers of 1982 or 2002, the fan base would have already given up on any playoff hopes by game 1, but we're more spoiled now. Also, the insurance money gained from losing Harrison et al contracts would have paid for Morales...

But I agree with you, Morales would not have sent us to the playoffs.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, here is another way of looking at it. We have given up the 4thmost runs in the MLB, 293. That means we are giving up 4.73 runs per game on average. Now, we have scored 263 runs which means that on average we score 4.24 runs per game. So basically Morales would have to make up for a full half a run per game to be effective. The point is our offense isn't the problem. Teams that give up this many runs don't make playoffs runs- making any further investment at this point doesn't make sense and could jeopardize the future. Now if they can get pitching back up to par come the trade deadline, maybe you start to shop around but adding one bat won't solve our problems, especially when I main problem is pitching.

There is insurance in their contracts. We get more back than what the Twins paid for Morales. You never know what Morales could do to the line-up. Explain how a 3/4 year contract jeopardizes the future?

Scoring and pitching is the problem. If you start scoring more it can take the pressure off the staff. I agree that the pitching is the worst problem, but scoring more runs doesn't hurt and Morales would have done that.

Last edited by a moderator:

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent point Ranger Dude.

But I think where Justin is coming from is marketing. By not pushing harder for Morales if the FO knew About Moreland ( and I'm sure they did), tells the fan base that they've given up on this season. Now if this was the Rangers of 1982 or 2002, the fan base would have already given up on any playoff hopes by game 1, but we're more spoiled now. Also, the insurance money gained from losing Harrison et al contracts would have paid for Morales...

But I agree with you, Morales would not have sent us to the playoffs.

good post, but the fan base keeps showing up. Not signing Morales won't change that.
in maybe an unprecedented amount of serious injuries, the fan base will see it as just that.

imo

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point we may have no choice but keep him, his trade value will be nil...he'd have to be a throw in on a deal...

My issue is why do they have to hand him a starting position every year? This always happens and the front office buys the injury excuse. Hook line and sinker.......

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm anxious to see how Gallo does in AA. He could be the answer at either DH, 1B, and or 3B next year. If Beltre would take some days off at 3rd to DH. I wanted them to turn Gallo into a 1B, but with Fielder locked up that doesn't make much sense. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, but that's the only exciting news today.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is why do they have to hand him a starting position every year? This always happens and the front office buys the injury excuse. Hook line and sinker.......

are you saying they handed him the DH position?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good post, but the fan base keeps showing up. Not signing Morales won't change that.
in maybe an unprecedented amount of serious injuries, the fan base will see it as just that.

imo

The only positive thing I take out of all the injuries is that opening day next season is 10 months away and the team will be healthy by then. Except for possibly Harrison, but I hope he can return and pitch.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm anxious to see how Gallo does in AA. He could be the answer at either DH, 1B, and or 3B next year. If Beltre would take some days off at 3rd to DH. I wanted them to turn Gallo into a 1B, but with Fielder locked up that doesn't make much sense. I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, but that's the only exciting news today.

it is the only thing remotely exciting, and Kudos to JD and Co. for this farm....without it, there would be little to no hope

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only positive thing I take out of all the injuries is that opening day next season is 10 months away and the team will be healthy by then. Except for possibly Harrison, but I hope he can return and pitch.

on a personal level, for his own good, I want Harry to hang it up....but I'll certainly support him in his decision

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you saying they handed him the DH position?

Yes I am saying that. The team could of signed Cruz, Morales, or someone else in the Offseason to further solidify our lineup. Another good bat would've given us a scary 1-6 with several up and comers hitting in the last 3 slots. The team didn't sign anyone to compete with Mitch, Mitch could've and should've been traded to the pirates and we should've signed a reliable RH DH to diversify the lineup. Kouzmanoff did better than Mitch this season and the guy only played for 2-3 weeks. Mitch got 60 games and hit around .250 with 2 home runs. Unacceptable numbers for a guy at the 1B or DH position.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assume Harry will not be able to pitch. Absolute best case scenario for Perez is after the AS break.

Who are the Starters next year?

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is insurance in their contracts. We get more back than what the Twins paid for Morales. You never know what Morales could do to the line-up. Explain how a 3/4 year contract jeopardizes the future?

Scoring and pitching is the problem. If you start scoring more it can take the pressure off the staff. I agree that the pitching is the worst problem, but scoring more runs doesn't hurt and Morales would have done that.

A 3/4 year contract with another 1B/DH type would not be ideal- I would much rather have it invested in pitching or even somewhere else. Fielder alone is enough invested in 1B, we will still have Moreland, Choo might resemble a DH in 4 years or so, and lets not forget Beltre's defense have fell off some so he may be a DH or part time DH come next season. Feilder may have to DH some coming off of injury. The point would be, we would be overloading on 1B/DH types and making a huge finical commitment there and if you spend more money one place- you spend less somewhere else.

Also, it's my understanding we haven't seen any of that insurance money on Fielder or Harrison at this point. It's possible that we don't see it now. Not only would spending it now be doing so on "credit," we actually could invest that money in helping get us some pitching which will almost certainly will need with Harrison being doubtful to return to baseball and Perez coming off of TJ.

I guess, I just don't see how Morales would put us over the top. Sure, we would have a better offense but the pitching stays the same. As a Ranger fan you should be all too familiar with the combination of top level defense and bottom level pitching and the results that gets you.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I come home from Church to find Moreland basically out for the year? What in Heaven's name is wrong with this team?!

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I am saying that. The team could of signed Cruz, Morales, or someone else in the Offseason to further solidify our lineup. Another good bat would've given us a scary 1-6 with several up and comers hitting in the last 3 slots. The team didn't sign anyone to compete with Mitch, Mitch could've and should've been traded to the pirates and we should've signed a reliable RH DH to diversify the lineup. Kouzmanoff did better than Mitch this season and the guy only played for 2-3 weeks. Mitch got 60 games and hit around .250 with 2 home runs. Unacceptable numbers for a guy at the 1B or DH position.

He signed a very expensive offense piece in Choo, and spent on another (should have been) offensive powerhouse
It's the whole picture, there were a lot of holes to fill, and he can't fill every one of them in one off-season
MM was inexpensive, so why not give him one more shot.
I was in agreement to keep him in the off-season, did I want a more proven DH? Sure, but the reality is it's not a blank check.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 3/4 year contract with another 1B/DH type would not be ideal- I would much rather have it invested in pitching or even somewhere else. Fielder alone is enough invested in 1B, we will still have Moreland, Choo might resemble a DH in 4 years or so, and lets not forget Beltre's defense have fell off some so he may be a DH or part time DH come next season. Feilder may have to DH some coming off of injury. The point would be, we would be overloading on 1B/DH types and making a huge finical commitment there and if you spend more money one place- you spend less somewhere else.

Also, it's my understanding we haven't seen any of that insurance money on Fielder or Harrison at this point. It's possible that we don't see it now. Not only would spending it now be doing so on "credit," we actually could invest that money in helping get us some pitching which will almost certainly will need with Harrison being doubtful to return to baseball and Perez coming off of TJ.

I guess, I just don't see how Morales would put us over the top. Sure, we would have a better offense but the pitching stays the same. As a Ranger fan you should be all too familiar with the combination of top level defense and bottom level pitching and the results that gets you.

Oops, that last sentence should read:
As a Ranger fan you should be all too familiar with the combination of top level OFFENSE and bottom level pitching and the results that gets you.