• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The SportsHoopla QB Rankings: Pt. 11 (Re-Do)

Who is the 11th best QB?

• Eli Manning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Russell Wilson

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Joe Flacco

• Matt Stafford

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Jay Cutler

• Tony Romo

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Nick Foles

• RGIII

• Alex Smith

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Ryan Tannehill

• Carson Palmer

• Other (Specify in Thread)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Badger these guys have no clue. Winning is a team effort but the QB gets most of the credit because he leads the team. QB also get most of the blame when things fall apart. Just the way it is.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well first of all you said Matt Ryan made it as far in the playoffs as Kaep did last year? One guy took his team to the title game while the other one had one of the worst records in football. So you are 0-1 there and last year with Kaep having only 1 WR on his team with his #1 weapon being out almost all year he still had better numbers then Smith who had Andy Reid has his coach who passes the ball a lot more then we do. Kaep had a QB rating of 91.6 where as AS was 89.1..Also Smith threw the ball almost 100 times more over the season and only had 116 more passing yards. He threw the ball about 6 more times a game roughly. Also Kaep also had more rushing yards and 3 more rushing Td's, oh and took his team back to the NFC title game where the chiefs got knocked out round 1. One guy is 26 the other guy is 30, one guy has been to the SB the other guy has not. Good enough for you?
No.

Apparently, I need to take a little more time explaining things to you. What I said was, "Ryan has made it as far in the playoffs as Keap did this year." "has" meaning, one point in time. That point in time being not that long ago, last year in fact. Thus proving Matt Ryan has shown that he can lead his team to a deep playoff run.
Your point was that Matt Ryan isnt a top 10 QB because he has all the weapons. Which is a bad opinion when you talk up how great Kaep is and put kaep in the top 10, yourself. Kaep has a lot of weapons around him and the most important weapon, one that Ryan has never had, defense. The Niners are a complete TEAM!
The Falcons strength comes from their QB and their receiving options. A good to great defense will cover up things like a #1 receiver going down. So Kaep had some advantages without Crabtree that Ryan didnt have without Jones. Even with this disadvantage he still had a better completion percentage, more yards, and more TDs.
I guess i need to remind you that Ryan was without his #1 option this year as well, also Roddy played injured all year, but Ryan didnt have a defense to cover that weakness. Not to mention his RB, missed games and was injured pretty much all year. So, they had zero running game and an atrocious defense. The Falcons had only one strength last year, Their passing game and that was crippled. The rest of the team was miserable in just about every area.

And now to smith.
So, your case for why Kaep "is better in every damn area of the game" is to show that Kaep and Smiths stats are practically identical.
:clap: Bravo! case closed, I guess. You really burst my bubble there.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Badger these guys have no clue. Winning is a team effort but the QB gets most of the credit because he leads the team. QB also get most of the blame when things fall apart. Just the way it is.
Giving all of the credit to the QB for winning or losing would be fine, if every QB had the same team around them. Unfortunately they dont. This is why you cant give a QB all the credit for winning and losing.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Apparently, I need to take a little more time explaining things to you. What I said was, "Ryan has made it as far in the playoffs as Keap did this year." "has" meaning, one point in time. That point in time being not that long ago, last year in fact. Thus proving Matt Ryan has shown that he can lead his team to a deep playoff run.
Your point was that Matt Ryan isnt a top 10 QB because he has all the weapons. Which is a bad opinion when you talk up how great Kaep is and put kaep in the top 10, yourself. Kaep has a lot of weapons around him and the most important weapon, one that Ryan has never had, defense. The Niners are a complete TEAM!
The Falcons strength comes from their QB and their receiving options. A good to great defense will cover up things like a #1 receiver going down. So Kaep had some advantages without Crabtree that Ryan didnt have without Jones. Even with this disadvantage he still had a better completion percentage, more yards, and more TDs.
I guess i need to remind you that Ryan was without his #1 option this year as well, also Roddy played injured all year, but Ryan didnt have a defense to cover that weakness. Not to mention his RB, missed games and was injured pretty much all year. So, they had zero running game and an atrocious defense. The Falcons had only one strength last year, Their passing game and that was crippled. The rest of the team was miserable in just about every area.

And now to smith.
So, your case for why Kaep "is better in every damn area of the game" is to show that Kaep and Smiths stats are practically identical.

Difference is Kap lead his team to a NFC championship game with out his #1 WR and Ryan well did crap. Ryan needs all his offensive weapons to win. Kap doesn't. Kap never had all his weapons and he already has made it to a super bowl and 2 NFC championship games.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving all of the credit to the QB for winning or losing would be fine, if every QB had the same team around them. Unfortunately they dont. This is why you cant give a QB all the credit for winning and losing.

Yes I agree to a point but the main thing is Kap has won in the playoffs because of him and the offense. D hasn't played great like they do in the regular season. Plus throw in Kap beating Ryan already in the playoffs. Playoff games won because of Kap: GB(2), Atlanta, plus almost a great Super Bowl come back.

Kap has had the better defense but Ryan has had the better weapons on offense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I agree to a point but the main thing is Kap has won in the playoffs because of him and the offense. D hasn't played great like they do in the regular season. Plus throw in Kap beating Ryan already in the playoffs. Playoff games won because of Kap: GB(2), Atlanta, plus almost a great Super Bowl come back.

The SB comeback was just as much defense and a fumble as it was offense. Plus, you can't have a comeback here without a bad first half. So, to me, it's a bit neutral. Good that it happened but I wouldn't cite it much when close doesn't help others (NFCC 2011).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just do I don't have to come back, here's what I mean. Everyone talked about the 1 catch for three yards for a receiver. However, in targeting everyone else, the numbers were ok - 11-17 for 196 yards (11.5 YPA). Even the total YPA including receivers was ok (7.7). The 1-13 on third down is bad, but we had 15 first downs compared to 20 total for the Giants. So the ball was moving more than what 1-13 sounds like, against a defense that held Rodgers and Brady to the same.

Then, we have the punt fumbles that serve just like your example of a bad defense in the SB. Except that the comeback had great defense and the NFCC 2011 punt team only had one redeeming run. So, stop giving credit for close if people keep saying we couldn't make it to the SB with Smith because close isn't good enough. Both 2012 SB and 2011 NFCC had bad offense.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And why was a big comeback necessary? Could it be because of the offense lead by Kaepernick sucked it up in the first half? And how could the comeback have been possible if the defense didnt do their part in the second half? Please, think these things through before stating them as if they are fact.

Yes, Ryans weapons are better, but notice you used the term "weapons". They both have great weapons on offense, but Keapernick has far more support around him then Ryan ever has in his career.

Also, you must have forgotten that Kaepernick was terrible in the season while crabtree was out, the only reason they were still winning during that time was because the rest of the team stepped up, it was a complete team effort to get those wins. So saying the Matt Ryan needs his weapons to be effective.. so does Kaepernick, but the Falcons were dealing with tougher obstacles.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just do I don't have to come back, here's what I mean. Everyone talked about the 1 catch for three yards for a receiver. However, in targeting everyone else, the numbers were ok - 11-17 for 196 yards (11.5 YPA). Even the total YPA including receivers was ok (7.7). The 1-13 on third down is bad, but we had 15 first downs compared to 20 total for the Giants. So the ball was moving more than what 1-13 sounds like, against a defense that held Rodgers and Brady to the same.

Then, we have the punt fumbles that serve just like your example of a bad defense in the SB. Except that the comeback had great defense and the NFCC 2011 punt team only had one redeeming run. So, stop giving credit for close if people keep saying we couldn't make it to the SB with Smith because close isn't good enough. Both 2012 SB and 2011 NFCC had bad offense.

I forgot to add that there were 2 deeper TDs thrown that people skip over because it wasn't to a receiver. I do blame Smith for missing Walker in the wheel route but had we still lost, he's not a receiver! And it wasn't on third down! Gasp! (Yes, I know third down is most important; it wasn't always a pass on third down, though. Doesn't stop the 1-13 number from being cited.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

And now to smith.

You are missing the boat, Matt Ryan lost to Kaep at home and Colin went on to the SB, somewhere Matt Ryan has never been, so your wrong...Also last year CK had no #1 WR and threw the ball 100 times less then Alex, that's why their stats were comparable. If Colin throws the ball 92 more times then he has more passing yards and Td's. Oh yea and did I mention one of them broke the rushing record in the playoffs for a QB and the other one was home watching. CK is 26 with 2 years starting exp with a SB trip, meaning he is no where near his ceiling, and Smith is 30 with 8 years starting exp and we have seen the best of him. Do you realize that in the last 2 seasons just in the reg season CK has 10 rushing Td's, he is dynamic, something smith isnt and never will be