• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Sam Hinkie Experiment has ended

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hinkie did a GREAT job at acquiring assets, and frankly think he got a little unlucky with Embiid never being able to play under his tenure. However, he has the Sixers in great shape in the next couple of years. Honestly, it might not be the worst thing if the Lakers keep their pick this season and Philly gets to use it next year(2017 is a much stronger draft class) He also worked over Sacramento in a trade as well.

I agree that Hinkie really did a great job acquiring assets. Where he really failed was in acquiring talent that works together.

Honestly he took over a COMPLETE dumpster fire. Let's not forget the GM before him traded away Iggy, Vucevic, Mo Harkless and a future first round pick for ZERO games with Andrew Bynum.

Yeah the Sixers were a hot mess when he took over which was why he was given free reign to make some radical choices. But he never showed that he could build a team.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with acquiring assets is that at some point you have to have a vision on how they're going to fit withing the scope of the rebuild. Boston has taken a very similar approach to the Sixers, but their situation is night and day different. The Celtics have acquired a myriad of assets, while maintaining competitiveness. Now you hear the Celtics are going to be big players in this free agency market, along with having multiple trade assets to acquire other star players.

There is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it and the Sixers are the model team for how NOT to do it.

See, I don't think Boston's and Philly's situations are the same at all. Boston had MUCH better players to gain those assets from(PP/KG trade w/nets), Rondo trade etc. Philly basically had Jrue Holliday as the only asset in player form to work with, they got Noel with that pick, who IMO is an okay player. With their actual pick in 2013 they took MCW, who's a back up PG in this league IMO, Hinkie turned that into a top 5 pick whether that's this year or next. The Sixers 2014 first round draft class hasn't even played a game yet, and Okafor looks like an okay pick for 2015. One of the issues I do have with Hinkie is that he surrounded these high draft picks with young second rounders of D-league talent at best, I would have liked to have seen him bring in a couple of vets.

Hinkie took over an absolute garbage team, it wasn't going to be competitive for a long time anyway. I mean seriously this is what the Sixers drafted before Hinkie:

2012 - Mo Harkless(traded for Bynum), Arnett Moultrie(bust)
2011 - Nikola Vucevic(traded for Bynum)
2010 - Evan Turner(bust for being the #2 pick)
2009 - Jrue Holiday(good player, flipped into Noel by Hinkie)
2008 - Marreese Speights(bust)

I mean that's just awful.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Hinkie really did a great job acquiring assets. Where he really failed was in acquiring talent that works together.

Yeah the Sixers were a hot mess when he took over which was why he was given free reign to make some radical choices. But he never showed that he could build a team.

I would agree with that part, in that he drafted in his mind the best player available as opposed to the best player that fit a need. He also never really had time to try and build that roster. Noel is just finishing up his second season, Embiid and Saric haven't even played a game yet, and Okafor just got finished his first season. I also think he made the correct decision in trading away MCW because he's shown he's not a top 25 pg in this league and will get a top 5 pick out of that. I don't understand the people who complain about that trade because MCW won some award that doesn't even mean anything.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I don't think Boston's and Philly's situations are the same at all. Boston had MUCH better players to gain those assets from(PP/KG trade w/nets), Rondo trade etc. Philly basically had Jrue Holliday as the only asset in player form to work with, they got Noel with that pick, who IMO is an okay player. With their actual pick in 2013 they took MCW, who's a back up PG in this league IMO, Hinkie turned that into a top 5 pick whether that's this year or next. The Sixers 2014 first round draft class hasn't even played a game yet, and Okafor looks like an okay pick for 2015. One of the issues I do have with Hinkie is that he surrounded these high draft picks with young second rounders of D-league talent at best, I would have liked to have seen him bring in a couple of vets.

Hinkie took over an absolute garbage team, it wasn't going to be competitive for a long time anyway. I mean seriously this is what the Sixers drafted before Hinkie:

2012 - Mo Harkless(traded for Bynum), Arnett Moultrie(bust)
2011 - Nikola Vucevic(traded for Bynum)
2010 - Evan Turner(bust for being the #2 pick)
2009 - Jrue Holiday(good player, flipped into Noel by Hinkie)
2008 - Marreese Speights(bust)

I mean that's just awful.
the Bynum trade is really waht screwed them....not only did Bynum not work out- but the team gave up a bunch of assets to get them...

like you are saying- post-Bynum trade the cupboard was BARE besides Holliday...i thought Hinkie did well to get Noel for Holliday.

Even at the very top of the draft- there is really no such thing as a sure pick- not very often anyway...the Sixers deifnitely didnt draft great- but combine that with some injuries, some guys staying over seas- and you get what you get...

you cant argue that right now they are actually not in too bad of shape....they have assets, young players and cap room-- they definitely need some vets to right the ship- but the base is there to grow- id expen them to contend for a playoff spot next year if the Colangelous get aggressive and try and go for it next year.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:stephena:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least it was not a "Disgrace of the Highest Order". (maybe a 'disgrace of a lower order' ?)

SAS saves his biggest complaints for Phil J.

Yeah, when Stephen A. brings out the "disgrace of the highest order" you know he means business. :lol:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like that we are in a bigger mess, if that is even possible? I'm still unsure what the future holds in Sixers land? The Hinkie experiment I was all in for a short brief, but it really gets frustrating to watch and here the jokes coming out to the team you cheer for. I'm not too familiar with Brian Colangelo? Hopefully he will turn this circus around. God do I miss the Charles Barkley days.:L

What about the Iverson days?