• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Sam Hinkie Experiment has ended

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man......Randle was gobbling up boards like Pacman last night.

I was like.....Damn, Byron....put his ass on the bench...lol

:lol: He grabbed 20 rebounds last night. :shocked:

I really like his game. If he never gets any better than he is right now, he'll have a long productive career. If he can add decent touch from 10-15 feet and develop his off hand a little more, he could be an all star level player.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get that Lakers pick, things will look very different...

* puts in mouthpiece for when TF12 sees this post *

:behindsofa:

Yeah. If the fickle finger of fate shines brightly on the Sixers they could theoretically have the No.1 and No.4 picks in this draft.

Not likely to happen but would that be a kick in the shorts to Hinkie.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. If the fickle finger of fate shines brightly on the Sixers they could theoretically have the No.1 and No.4 picks in this draft.

Not likely to happen but would that be a kick in the shorts to Hinkie.

Yeah, no shit.

Especially if Embiid is healthy and Saric comes over.

Take Simmons #1 * still not buying Ingram.......yet* and Dunn # 4?

#New Day..........

Hopefully, he won't be all bitter like Mark Jackson....lol

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man......Randle was gobbling up boards like Pacman last night.

I was like.....Damn, Byron....put his ass on the bench...lol

Whiteside would compliment Randle nicely. There wouldn't be many rebounds left for others!

I agree that one of either Okafor and Embiid should be traded for a backcourt player. Okafor has more value now but Embiid is very intriguing.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no shit.

Especially if Embiid is healthy and Saric comes over.

Take Simmons #1 * still not buying Ingram.......yet* and Dunn # 4?

#New Day..........

Hopefully, he won't be all bitter like Mark Jackson....lol

Simmons scares the crap out of me. Low intensity guys are a big risk. Then at Duncan is pretty low intensity and he had a pretty good career.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well certainly the team, as constructed, is not going to do well anytime soon. But they have a lot of pieces. And they have a LOT of cap spaces. And a lot of draft picks.

If Stauskas, who will be entering his third season, Saric, his 3rd pro season, and Noel, his 4th pro season, can start putting it together a little next year. And they move Okafor for some talented but expensive vets(they don't even need to really move any big contracts to make this happen), including a desperately needed point, they could be instantly competitive next year.

I don't think they have fool's gold. I think they need to show actual basketball acumen and move the pieces around to build an actual team.

As was mentioned, the Thunder got to the NBA finals with a team of 22-23 year olds. Granted they did that because they hit big on 3 draft picks in a row but it can be done.

I think the Twolves are a player or 2 away from being a playoff team.

I haven't had the pleasure of chopping it up with you before.

Good times, hope to see you around the NBA boards more.

:suds:

Lob City!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't had the pleasure of chopping it up with you before.

Good times, hope to see you around the NBA boards more.

:suds:

Lob City!

Hoops is a distant 4th sport for me. I talk about it when the other sports are not interesting to talk about.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get that Lakers pick, things will look very different...

* puts in mouthpiece for when TF12 sees this post *

:behindsofa:

That would suck certainly, but then they would have their pick for next year's draft. I can see another sucky summer and season for the Lakers unfortunately.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteside would compliment Randle nicely. There wouldn't be many rebounds left for others!

I agree that one of either Okafor and Embiid should be traded for a backcourt player. Okafor has more value now but Embiid is very intriguing.

If healthy, Embiid all day.

Okafor's ceiling is probably Al Jefferson.

Please God, no to Whiteside and Randle :rip:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's pretty close to the same.

But, his point is still valid about winning with youth.

Minny has built well thru the draft, just like OKC...and Utah.

Plus, there have been a few games that the Wolves coughed up at the end that they should have won.

Chalk it up to youth and inexperience.
Not denying that at all, Minny definitely has a chance to become dangerous AF. They're also incredibly fun to watch.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not denying that at all, Minny definitely has a chance to become dangerous AF. They're also incredibly fun to watch.

Totally agree.

I think Wiggins has the ability to be a good two-way player if he works on his aggression.

KAT and Dieng are solid frontcourt mates.

They just need a few vets and a shooter.

Love me some Lavine.

But, he's not gonna be the answer at pg.

He wants to be more Kyrie than Chris Paul..

So, they are better off keeping him at off guard.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree with this. Drafting well and strong player management is a far better path to success that hoping to get lucky with a couple of top draft picks.

Look at the Spurs. When was the last time they had a lottery pick? 20 years ago?

Where they ironically tanked to get Duncan.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons scares the crap out of me. Low intensity guys are a big risk. Then at Duncan is pretty low intensity and he had a pretty good career.

I would never consider Duncan a low intensity guy. A quiet leader certainly, but dude plays hard.

Simmons low intensity may just be a factor of passing time until eligible for the NBA. It's certainly something teams will be looking at when they bring him in for pre-draft workouts.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The things I think you can really criticize Hinkie for is drafting solely based on talent and ignoring need. You can do that in the NFL when you have 53 guys on your roster that all matter. In basketball where it comes down to 5-8 players, you can't. IMO, it is inexcusable that he drafted Noel, Embiid, and Okafor especially given that the game is a backcourt driven game these days.

So, so true.

But that was Heinke. He didn't think in terms of basketball but rather in terms of assets. And the problem is all the assets in the basketball world do not equal future wins all the time.

That is what people fail to realize. Even early picks in the NBA bust at a spectacularly high rate. And what is hilarious is that big men early in the draft bust at a higher rate than backcourt. So not only was he taking the worst basketball combination, he was taking assets that had a much higher chance of turning out poorly.

I think people would be SHOCKED at how little Okafor, Noels or Embiid would get the 76ers back in a trade offer right now. An NBA rookie is like a new car....you lose value the moment you drive it off the lot.

-Embiid wouldn't even get a legit starting guard in this league right now IMO. Too many questions he has to answer and too little time to do it.
- Noels is the exact type of player that teams don't really want any more. His inability to space along with his inability to be on the court during end of game situations makes him a role player in this league. A really good role player for what he does mind you but still just a role player.
- Okafor - He has the most value probably. But is it a good idea to once again to be trading your best player just to clear minutes for your unproven talent? Very Heinke-like....but in this case it actually might be a necessity.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hinkie blew it by not being able to put a solid team on the court for years. His biggest problem wasn't his approach, but the length of time dedicated to it. The 76ers lottery picks went: Noel, Embiid, Saric, Okafor. 3 of those guys were big projects and all play a similar position. It would be similar to if he just drafted 4 combo guards in a row. What are you really going to do with them? You can't get them all playing time build any sort of trade value. There was really no foresight or plan. The plan was to just keep acquiring assets until one of them turned out to be a superstar. That's a terrible plan for building a team.

That being said, Colangelo who is said to be the next man up, really hit the jackpot situation here.

With such a low bar being set previously, there's no where to go but up. The Sixers have a ton of assets and still very movable. They're going to have a ton of cap space. If the Sixers could maneuver a trade for a star player some how, they could build a roster pretty quickly.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hinkie did a GREAT job at acquiring assets, and frankly think he got a little unlucky with Embiid never being able to play under his tenure. However, he has the Sixers in great shape in the next couple of years. Honestly, it might not be the worst thing if the Lakers keep their pick this season and Philly gets to use it next year(2017 is a much stronger draft class) He also worked over Sacramento in a trade as well.

Honestly he took over a COMPLETE dumpster fire. Let's not forget the GM before him traded away Iggy, Vucevic, Mo Harkless and a future first round pick for ZERO games with Andrew Bynum.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people would be SHOCKED at how little Okafor, Noels or Embiid would get the 76ers back in a trade offer right now. An NBA rookie is like a new car....you lose value the moment you drive it off the lot.

I agree to extent. If Embiid is a stud and stays healthy, his draft value will skyrocket. Right now there are lots of fears of Greg Oden flowing around him.

- Okafor - He has the most value probably. But is it a good idea to once again to be trading your best player just to clear minutes for your unproven talent? Very Heinke-like....but in this case it actually might be a necessity.

I almost don't see any way around it, especially if they do get the #1 pick. They might need to deal Saric as well.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Hinkie did a GREAT job at acquiring assets, and frankly think he got a little unlucky with Embiid never being able to play under his tenure. However, he has the Sixers in great shape in the next couple of years. Honestly, it might not be the worst thing if the Lakers keep their pick this season and Philly gets to use it next year(2017 is a much stronger draft class) He also worked over Sacramento in a trade as well.

Honestly he took over a COMPLETE dumpster fire. Let's not forget the GM before him traded away Iggy, Vucevic, Mo Harkless and a future first round pick for ZERO games with Andrew Bynum.

The problem with acquiring assets is that at some point you have to have a vision on how they're going to fit withing the scope of the rebuild. Boston has taken a very similar approach to the Sixers, but their situation is night and day different. The Celtics have acquired a myriad of assets, while maintaining competitiveness. Now you hear the Celtics are going to be big players in this free agency market, along with having multiple trade assets to acquire other star players.

There is a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it and the Sixers are the model team for how NOT to do it.