• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Question no one Wants to ask

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We Were Warned:

"We were warned in 2012, when the Rand Corporation surveyed the international threats arrayed against the United States and concluded that only pandemics posed an existential danger, in that they were “capable of destroying America’s way of life.”

We were warned in 2015, when Ezra Klein of Vox, after speaking with Bill Gates about his algorithmic model for how a new strain of flu could spread rapidly in today’s globalized world, wrote that “a pandemic disease is the most predictable catastrophe in the history of the human race, if only because it has happened to the human race so many, many times before.” If there was anything humanity could be certain that it needed to prepare for to prevent the deaths of a lot of people in little time, it was this.

We were warned in 2017, a week before inauguration day, when Lisa Monaco, Barack Obama’s outgoing homeland-security adviser, gathered with Donald Trump’s incoming national-security officials and conducted an exercise modeled on the administration’s experiences with outbreaks of swine flu, Ebola, and Zika."

And:

"When the virus was first detected in China, [Eric Toner, a senior scholar at the Center for Health Security at Johns Hopkins University] told me, a more prepared U.S. government would have immediately begun bracing for the “inevitable arrival of the disease” by bolstering hospitals and helping state and local governments implement the social-distancing and other mitigation measures they are now scrambling to put in place. “It would have been much easier to do those things with more time than we have now,” he explained.

The irony is that this is all occurring in a country, the United States, that for decades “has been a leader in pandemic preparedness,” Toner said. “We were better prepared than others,” he acknowledged, “but no one, no country, is prepared for what we’re seeing now.”'

We Were Warned

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two weeks ago: Coronavirus is a democratic hoax

Two days ago: Trump has "always" been serious about it and it's known as the "Chinese Virus"

Today: Why can't dems just let it go?

Austin has shut down all dining in restaurants as well.. however pick up service is available including alcoholic drinks.

Where I live now, there is no mandate about restaurants or bars, however they are either already closed or empty with people other than the staff.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point of it all is no one should be going out to eat. Other places with less population are closing bars and restraunts. You would think places like california with their higher population would be closing
I hear ya but I think restaurants spread you out at least. But an airplane/subway/bus seem like nothing but big germ tubes. They haven't shut those down yet have they?

And I feel for the airlines...just like I did after 9/11. Best thing we could do for them is to purchase tickets as soon as they are flying again.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya but I think restaurants spread you out at least. But an airplane/subway/bus seem like nothing but big germ tubes. They haven't shut those down yet have they?

And I feel for the airlines...just like I did after 9/11. Best thing we could do for them is to purchase tickets as soon as they are flying again.
Thinking "they" from a federal view is a joke.. They have left it for Governors who then leave it to Mayors to make these decisions.. Again my biggest issue is the lack of preparedness. NBA has shown more decisive decision making than our current government.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking "they" from a federal view is a joke.. They have left it for Governors who then leave it to Mayors to make these decisions.. Again my biggest issue is the lack of preparedness. NBA has shown more decisive decision making than our current government.

IMHO that is the better way to do it. The best decisions are made by the people closest to the ground who know more about the local interests than a governmental agent that has never even been to the area, much less know the situation there. Let me put it this way, the solutions for NYC and Seattle are not the solutions for rural Kansas/Tennessee in a lot of cases.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMHO that is the better way to do it. The best decisions are made by the people closest to the ground who know more about the local interests than a governmental agent that has never even been to the area, much less know the situation there. Let me put it this way, the solutions for NYC and Seattle are not the solutions for rural Kansas/Tennessee in a lot of cases.
in the meantime we still have planes carrying people and busses with people.. and wonder how the curve keeps getting higher

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the meantime we still have planes carrying people and busses with people.. and wonder how the curve keeps getting higher

AND??? Most areas are not being overwhelmed by COVID cases that are severe enough to even go to a doctor much less need hospitalization, nor are they likely to be so. And yes, I have family that have tested positive, been self quarantined at home, and have had the symptoms for over a week. Both have asthma but have not been to a doctor, using OTC flu meds for the symptoms are are recovering just fine.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point of it all is no one should be going out to eat. Other places with less population are closing bars and restraunts. You would think places like california with their higher population would be closing

Weren't people making fun of people in California for closing places and stopping sporting events ?
Newt Gingrich on the Sean Hannity show on Feb 27nd

“I think the great irony of all this, is that the city of San Francisco, in its usual irresponsible way, has already declared an emergency even though no one in San Francisco has so far shown that they have the disease,”
Sean Hannity laughed and agreed.

Now both are saying they knew it was bad and have never made light of the situation. They are right there with our fearless leader who two days ago said "i knew it was a pandemic before they even called it that (a lie)" But yesterday said "it snuck up on us" . Another lie. He was briefed in Jan.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND??? Most areas are not being overwhelmed by COVID cases that are severe enough to even go to a doctor much less need hospitalization, nor are they likely to be so. And yes, I have family that have tested positive, been self quarantined at home, and have had the symptoms for over a week. Both have asthma but have not been to a doctor, using OTC flu meds for the symptoms are are recovering just fine.
Without testing you have no idea how many cases are out there. Just because a lot of people don't show symptoms doesn't mean they don't have it and shouldn't be on a bus or plane or in a restaurant.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without testing you have no idea how many cases are out there. Just because a lot of people don't show symptoms doesn't mean they don't have it and shouldn't be on a bus or plane or in a restaurant.

I agree that there are a lot more, I suggest a majority, of people that have or have had it that did not even know. Most cases do not even need to go to the ER much less need in patient care. Now what does that tell you about the severity of the virus? I am not saying that we shouldn't take prudent precautionary steps, just that the locals are more likely to understand problems on the ground than someone that has never heard of the locality. The federal role should be to support and advise the localities, not to be dictatorial with solutions that do not apply to their problem.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that there are a lot more, I suggest a majority, of people that have or have had it that did not even know. Most cases do not even need to go to the ER much less need in patient care. Now what does that tell you about the severity of the virus? I am not saying that we shouldn't take prudent precautionary steps, just that the locals are more likely to understand problems on the ground than someone that has never heard of the locality. The federal role should be to support and advise the localities, not to be dictatorial with solutions that do not apply to their problem.

Yeah but people pay attention to the president and federal officials in times like this. Kid rock said fuck you Im keeping my restaurant open when the mayor said shut them down. If the Governor of a state said don't fly many people would ignore that. When the federal gov says no more flying it's a done deal. Obviously local authorities should help in this effort but if everyone doesn't have the same rules with this then this will spread more quickly.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is equivalent to throwing gasoline on a fire IMO. Here's a good idea. "Let's put 150 people on a plane where only one of them is contagious. That way the other 149 can possibly become a carrier deliver it to others upon arrival." I mean an enclosed airplane is just like an open air park isn't it? Great idea.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but people pay attention to the president and federal officials in times like this. Kid rock said fuck you Im keeping my restaurant open when the mayor said shut them down. If the Governor of a state said don't fly many people would ignore that. When the federal gov says no more flying it's a done deal. Obviously local authorities should help in this effort but if everyone doesn't have the same rules with this then this will spread more quickly.

Kid Rock voluntarily closed his Nashville bar, as you said he listened to authorities. Granted the federal government has the authority to ground all air travel but whether or not a senior citizen should be able to use his/her normal transportation ... a bus ... to go buy supplies in a county/town that has no confirmed cases of Covid19 is beyond the scope of the federal government's knowledge and wisdom.

Again, the rules that are applied to major population centers are/can be detrimental to rural areas and have little effect on the virus' spread. We do not need standard, federally imposed rules that do not work and cause damage to the communities that are not facing the same threats that NYC may be.

Everyone is acting like every person that contracts the virus will need in patient care or a visit to the UC/ER and that is decidedly not the case. Our local news has done a great job of disseminating vital information, showing symptoms in three categories ...
Mild-most of the cases are in this category, self quarantine and use OTC meds
Moderate - Fewer cases get here, call your doctor or our hospitals' Covis lines for medical advice which may or may not end with an UC/ER trip.
Severe - Call 911, state the symptoms and prepare for being in patient.

There is no need of treating this in a panic mode. None.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kid Rock voluntarily closed his Nashville bar, as you said he listened to authorities. Granted the federal government has the authority to ground all air travel but whether or not a senior citizen should be able to use his/her normal transportation ... a bus ... to go buy supplies in a county/town that has no confirmed cases of Covid19 is beyond the scope of the federal government's knowledge and wisdom.

Again, the rules that are applied to major population centers are/can be detrimental to rural areas and have little effect on the virus' spread. We do not need standard, federally imposed rules that do not work and cause damage to the communities that are not facing the same threats that NYC may be.

Everyone is acting like every person that contracts the virus will need in patient care or a visit to the UC/ER and that is decidedly not the case. Our local news has done a great job of disseminating vital information, showing symptoms in three categories ...
Mild-most of the cases are in this category, self quarantine and use OTC meds
Moderate - Fewer cases get here, call your doctor or our hospitals' Covis lines for medical advice which may or may not end with an UC/ER trip.
Severe - Call 911, state the symptoms and prepare for being in patient.

There is no need of treating this in a panic mode. None.

Yes no need to panic but most of the things people in big cities are told not to do apply even if you live in some rural town . It does't matter where you live. One person can give it to you and you can give it to your elderly parents or grandparents. So even if it's a local mom and pop store you shouldn't have more than so many people in there and you should keep your distance.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
t does't matter where you live. One person can give it to you and you can give it to your elderly parents or grandparents.

Yes and no.

Where I live, there aren't any cases that I've heard of and the er is no busier than usual.

After an initial round of panic buying over the weekend, stores are, for the most part, well stocked. Other than them having special hours for senior citizens and only letting a certain number of people in at a time, it's not all that different.

Restaurants and bars are all still open. You still can't get your personal cup filled at Starbucks.

But, I'm in smaller city that doesn't have a lot of folks from all over the world like LA or the bay area. So it would make sense that we don't need to take quite as many precautions.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no.

Where I live, there aren't any cases that I've heard of and the er is no busier than usual.

After an initial round of panic buying over the weekend, stores are, for the most part, well stocked. Other than them having special hours for senior citizens and only letting a certain number of people in at a time, it's not all that different.

Restaurants and bars are all still open. You still can't get your personal cup filled at Starbucks.

But, I'm in smaller city that doesn't have a lot of folks from all over the world like LA or the bay area. So it would make sense that we don't need to take quite as many precautions.

I think people need to differentiate between the panic of buying a years supply of toilet paper and people calling for no large gatherings. One is stupid panic and the other can be overreaction if it's maybe in your city. But Overreaction can't hurt. The panic of people buying more than they need can hurt elderly and disabled who can't store hop for essentials.
I was at the grocery store this morning and I wanted to get some eggs. Usually I get a dozen or the 18 pack. I got two dozen. They had boxes of 60 eggs. A guy had grabbed three of those boxes and I'm thinking thats 180 eggs. Are you cooking for a football team? lol. The store clerk told him he could only get one of those and the guy was pissed.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young squires, young squires... Every level of government has their role to play. The current administration at the Federal level dropped the ball on preparedness and has delayed actions which it can implement. This is fact-based, valid criticism. That acknowledged, it is immaterial to the actions which need to be taken, now.

The Federal apparatus is by design to support state-level execution. Many state apparati have a web of county and municipal government resources which are incorporated into planning and action. This isn't new.

In response to this pandemic, many businesses and individuals have been out front, taking recommended steps prior to any government action or dictum. We, the citizenry will own the best outcome. What we do will determine the rate of infection and the length of time extraordinary steps continue to be implemented. Step up. Be altruistic. Think of yourselves as part of the citizenry as a whole.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes no need to panic but most of the things people in big cities are told not to do apply even if you live in some rural town . It does't matter where you live. One person can give it to you and you can give it to your elderly parents or grandparents. So even if it's a local mom and pop store you shouldn't have more than so many people in there and you should keep your distance.

I do not disagree with your measures for staying safe. I am also not saying that killing mass transportation in cities is inherently wrong, depending on the city. The local governments are close enough to the situation to make that call.

The panic caused by the fear mongering by the media is ridiculous. Even in your post, you are saying that if Joe gets it he will/may kill his parents/grandparents. You can say the same about the flu but during flu season would you claim we need the same level of federally mandated rules? There is a panic over testing ... why??? Unless one is having severe symptoms or underlying health issues with moderate symptoms then there is no reason to have a test, much less go to a doctor/ER/UC.

That is panic IMHO because Joe is probably not not going to have any long term effects from the virus and probably will only suffer mild symptoms that does not need professional medical care even IF he catches the virus. Unless Joe has underlying health problems, Joe only need to go about his life taking the same precautions he would in a normal flu season. Should he limit contact with the elderly and other high risk groups? Absolutely, but that in no way, shape, or form should be much of a reason for Joe to have to quit going in public and is the same behavior he should use during flu outbreaks.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people need to differentiate between the panic of buying a years supply of toilet paper and people calling for no large gatherings. One is stupid panic and the other can be overreaction if it's maybe in your city. But Overreaction can't hurt. The panic of people buying more than they need can hurt elderly and disabled who can't store hop for essentials.
I was at the grocery store this morning and I wanted to get some eggs. Usually I get a dozen or the 18 pack. I got two dozen. They had boxes of 60 eggs. A guy had grabbed three of those boxes and I'm thinking thats 180 eggs. Are you cooking for a football team? lol. The store clerk told him he could only get one of those and the guy was pissed.

You are dangerously wrong on this statement. Overreaction can cause everything from our medical system to be overwhelmed and the same goes for banking, shopping and the economy as a whole.