• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Price for Mariota...

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a team we already scored 3rd most points in the league. But we don't possess the football, and we don't keep opponents from possessing the football so we don't win enough games.

Possession really had nothing to do with it. We did not stop people from outscoring us. The secondary was putrid. You put a decent secondary on the field and this team is one of the elite and that was with a sorry QB (Sanchez) at the helm. 32 teams in the NFL and only 10 had better records than the Eagles.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possession really had nothing to do with it. We did not stop people from outscoring us. The secondary was putrid. You put a decent secondary on the field and this team is one of the elite and that was with a sorry QB (Sanchez) at the helm. 32 teams in the NFL and only 10 had better records than the Eagles.

Possession of the football was certainly a problem when we couldn't get it back at the end of Chip's only playoff game.

Agreed that the defense should have been built better by the guy who has used 5 of his highest 7 picks on the offensive side of the football.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 first round picks plus 2 2nd round picks won't be enough and even it was its a franchise crippling move. What if by some grace of god that its accepted by Tampa. You draft Mariota then he rips up his knee in the first game, Lenard Weaver style. Now you wasted 5 premium picks over 3 years and you still don't have your QB. Not only that you are going to suck badly and have to wait until 4 years before you have a chance to possibly draft another QB and start over.

That is just stupid thinking. This team is not one player away. They are close but not close enough that you can fill your roster with free agents. Look at how well that has worked for Washington and I will tell you that RGIII was a better prospect coming out than Mariotta is.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taz, the value chart says that 3 first = 2 SECONDS, ARE OVER WHAT THIE 1ST PICK IN THE DRAFT IS WORTH. i'M JUST REPORTING WHAT THE CHART SAYS, AND USUALLY THAT IS AN ARGUMENT ON THIS FORUM - "WHAT DOES THE CHART SAY"?

Sorry for using caps. it was on lock, and I just had eye surgery, and didn't see it while I was typing.

Go Birds!

That's it, I'm tired of beating this dead horse. Since we suck at late 1st round picks, I was getting on board with trying to get Mariota. Most everyone else, except Enut liked the idea. We have 3 1/2 months to go, so I'm done with this right now.

Again, forgive the typos. Can't see very good right now.

Go Packers!!

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taz, the value chart says that 3 first = 2 SECONDS, ARE OVER WHAT THIE 1ST PICK IN THE DRAFT IS WORTH. i'M JUST REPORTING WHAT THE CHART SAYS, AND USUALLY THAT IS AN ARGUMENT ON THIS FORUM - "WHAT DOES THE CHART SAY"?

Sorry for using caps. it was on lock, and I just had eye surgery, and didn't see it while I was typing.

Go Birds!

That's it, I'm tired of beating this dead horse. Since we suck at late 1st round picks, I was getting on board with trying to get Mariota. Most everyone else, except Enut liked the idea. We have 3 1/2 months to go, so I'm done with this right now.

Again, forgive the typos. Can't see very good right now.

Go Packers!!

Speedy recovery from eye surgery there old duke.

The draft value chart is outdated especially when you consider what has been given up at the top of the draft the past few years. It also doesn't take into account the strength of the draft etc. Team are much more analytical when it comes to these moves than in Jimmy Johnsons day (the inventor of the draft value chart).

I have a little bit of insight to this but not a ton, teams think much more in tiers of the draft. That is pockets of talent. So for instance last year, there were 3 tiers in the first round of talent, the top blue chip talent was 12 deep (ending with Beckem) the second tier ended at 21, the third tier went all the way to 40. I am not sure where the tiers will be this year, but I think the Eagles will be in tier 3 again as this draft might not be as deep as last years draft. Now the difference between tier 1 and tier 3 is the difference between say at linebacker Anthony Barr and Marcus Smith. That is a huge difference.
Now in order to make a deal the Bucs will need a guarantee of at least having the chance to get a tier 1 player back. Where in any of these trade proposals do the Bucs get a tier 1 talent back. At best one of those 3 first round picks if the Eagles have an off year will be in the tier 2 territory.
Just look at the two biggest deals in the first round the past few years. RGIII and Sammy Watkins. Both teams traded in the same tier, now the Rams abosultely pants the Redskins becuase they made them believe the would take RGIII, if not somebody else was going to take him before 6. The Rams still got a tier 1 talent at six and in fact got another tier 1 talent in Greg Robinson last year. Now the same with the Sammy Watkins trade, the Browns still got a tier 1 talent in Justin Gilbert.

Look I just think all this Mariotta talk is a foolish waste of space on both the airwaves , print media and on message boards. It simply is not going to happen unless Mariotta gets hurt on monday night. Unless he gets hurt through the combine. There is some talk of him falling but he is not falling out of the top 5. if he does I would be surprised and most would be. If he falls to the 8,9,10 area then you are in striking range of a multi number 1 pick scenario. Could it happen I don't think so, the kid is just too good. Just because he played in a tempo offense in college doesnt mean he won't project to any offence in the pros. I think he is the best QB in a weak QB class. He has the intelligence, he has the ideal height weight and good arm strength to make every throw. Once he gets into the combine and such all this talk of him falling some will be just that talk.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand, if Mariotta tears it up and makes the Bucs want him at #1, Chip might not have the opportunity to act a fool.

Even better, how about an injury that would mAke him questionable to play next fall but not be long lasting. Maybe a broken left forearm.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are completely gung ho about getting a QB that fits Chip's system we should just take Brett Hundley and save all those picks you'd have to give up for Mariota. Hundley gives you the wheels you want Mariota for, the great arm and made more "pro type" route throws than Mariota had to do at Oregon. Mariota obviously had superior stats, but how much of that was the playbook as opposed to difference in talent? Hundley played in a more traditional, huddle up, shotgun style as opposed to the hectic-paced bubble screen central station of college football. In the end would I take Mariota over Hundley? yes ... but do I think Mariota projects as a "superior" player at the next level? Not necessarily. Unless Mariota ends up an Eagle I think has a bigger adjustment to make at the pro level.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me out of all this nonsense. I do not want any of these Qb's in rd 1. Sure I'll take Mariota if he drops way down, but other than that I am not drafting a QB in rd 1..... DB or ILB please thank you.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that the defense should have been built better by the guy who has used 5 of his highest 7 picks on the offensive side of the football.

This is why it is hard to take you seriously. You post shit without any shred of evidence. Chip Kelly did not have final say in the draft. If he did he would not have lost this recent battle with Roseman because Lurie would have been able to say we tried it your way and it did not work. That did not happen here.

Your whining about using 5 of the first 7 picks on offense is stupid anyway given the Eagles have one of the best offenses in the NFL. They accomplished this without having an Elite QB like Manning, Brady or Rodgers. That does not mean Kelly gets the credit for the players or anything like that. It is just his scheme worked and could be better. He fixes the red zone issues and I am sure he will this offense will be dominant.

I do not know who's decision it was to disregard the secondary but your blaming it all on Kelly carries no weight. I think it was this failure that actually led to his being able to gain control.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me out of all this nonsense. I do not want any of these Qb's in rd 1. Sure I'll take Mariota if he drops way down, but other than that I am not drafting a QB in rd 1..... DB or ILB please thank you.

I agree. Don't really care if we get no QBs in the draft at all.

My wild card pick is at WR if we can pickup a 6'3" WR. Give Foles another legit WR and we again score 30+ a game. Work on the D.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget Mariota, I might trade three firsts to get Kam Chancellor, just to see a man playing safety again for Philadelphia.

Nate Allen should file his retirement papers tonight after watching Chancellor's performance.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget Mariota, I might trade three firsts to get Kam Chancellor, just to see a man playing safety again for Philadelphia.

Nate Allen should file his retirement papers tonight after watching Chancellor's performance.
Funny you say that....I sent Wiz a Text during the game and said "Did ya see Chris Hackett declared for the draft? He is a lot like Cam Chancellor" I sent that right after Cam made one of his many huge plays vs Carolina.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but Hackett is not Kam. Kam was a converted LB, much more girth and muscle than Hack. Not saying that Hack won't/couldn't be awesome, but their body types are not the same. Maybe Hack can add muscle and weight in the NFL, but I would hold off the comparisons just yet. I do think that he looks to be the top Safety in this draft, including Landon Collins.