• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Pats penalty for deflategate.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm what?:scratch:

You should try actually putting your hatred of all things TB12 aside and actually look objectively at the whole thing.
LOL @ you calling out anybody for objectivity.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced there was any direct involvement by Brady, but the league does so that leaves us at punishment. It's about as much of a cheating violation as is holding, PI, leg whip, etc. It's a minor violation.

The leage even thinks is a minor violation which was shown when the Vikings and Panters broke the rule. They simply told them to stop and gave no punishment.

In this case though the league office is looking for public opinion just like they have done in recent times. They could have released the report and punishment at the same time, instead they chose to wait and judge public opinion first.

It's a hatchet job of an investigation regardless if a rule was violated or not.

I think if the punishment goes beyond a fine then TB12 and/or the Patriots should go ahead and take it civil, if for nothing else than to get all the information out to the public. Something my gut tells me the league doesn't want to happen, otherwise they would have made the entire investigation public like they promised to do from the beginning.

We know the league is hiding a lot, look at how many people they interviewed, yet almost none of their questions and answers are included in the report. Why is that?

We know they secured the emails and/or texts of Grigson, Kinsel, et al and yet they left them out. What were the conversations taking place leading up to the sting operation they ran? Who was involved and had knowledge of it? Did it include one of the other 31 teams in the NFL? (If it did, which it is more probable than not, then the league has a major legal problem on it's hands.)

There are to many unanswered questions which the league seems to be intentionally avoiding and/or hiding.

Back to the punishment. Goodell is in quite a pickle don't you think? If he suspends TB12 he's banking on an appeal which would likely get them past the first game of the season. This is important to the league because it's a National broadcast to start off the 50th anniversary of the NFL, and the face of the NFL won't be available to play. Bet the NBC executives aren't going to be happy about that with all the money they payed to secure that broadcast.
:pop2:
all pan out.

I am really not convinced the League is hiding all that much. You don't put everything you investigate in a report, simply because its not all relevant. The exception in my mind to this is the "Sting Operation" put together by Grigson. While probably true, I don't know if reporting an expected violation is wrong per se, or even relevant, but that information would seem pertinent enough to be included in the record.

What is clear is that Brady and the Patriots are hiding more. Brady was not cooperative and did not provide all his emails and phone records...Most probably because the smoking gun is there that would prove his direct involvement beyond all reasonable doubt. Not just for this game, but perhaps the entire season and even previous ones. And what if those records also find other things they cheat on?

If anything, by not pushing Brady and the Patriots more for these records, they are protecting the Patriots and the League. Both sides have a vested interest in leaving this as just about one game, and fixing it going forward. Further investigation could further tarnish the Patriots and League image and call into question the validity of the Super Bowl win. I think both sides, would like to issue a punishment and get past it quickly. I don't think either side would benefit from civil litigation.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they are, if they weren't they would have released the entire investigation instead of hiding most of it, particularly the stuff that is likely daming to the NFL league office itself.

Good point !!.....I read this morning that RG has already decided to suspend Brady, the question is how long and how much.....The decision on that isn't supposed to come out until next week according to the article....
With a 14 week investigation complete, and you are aware of all it's findings as they unfolded, you mean you need another 2 weeks to decide what to do about it ?.....Something seems amiss to me !!
Kraft already stated that they are accepting the leagues ruling and ready to take whatever punishment they hand down.....Being tight with RG, he knows what's coming, IMO !!
It will be interesting to see what kind of debacle RG can make of this one....
I say, fire him, anyone making as much money as this goofy looking fool, should make sure the opportunity to cheat in a game is not available ever.....But he's too busy partying at owners houses and such....:nono:

SomeGuy

Christian Conservative
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping for a strong penalty and long suspension just to watch RockoStrongo go off the deep end. Probably.
i am going to say that my dream penalty is:
TB suspension for at least 8 games
Fine, oh, say $250,000
Loss of first round draft pick
*hoping they the Patriots season sucks and they lose a top 10 draft pick*

I want it to hurt because I am tired of all the stupid stuff from this organization.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they should get any penalty at all.

The refs are to blame ultimately for not doing their jobs, and the NFL should examine it's own procedures.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The refs are to blame ultimately for not doing their jobs, and the NFL should examine it's own procedures.
Shhhhhhhhh, they will be comjng for you next.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought we all agreed earlier that a 20 page pictorial series of his wife sprawled out in all her glory would about fix everything. Even that feg Goodell would have to pack up and take his shit show somewhere else.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not this time. It's going to be harsh.

I would be highly surprised.

The fact that they lifted the publication of the report beyond the NFL draft in itself is indicative. It basically made sure the Patriots could draft as they wanted without punishment, and Goodell and co have months left to make sure that the punishment is minimized. Unfortunately for them there was no possibility for Gooddell to suppress and destroy the evidence like he could last time.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt it - I don't give a crap about the Patriots.
I was referring to the tinfoil hat brigade.
For what it worth? I think TB will get hammered, Pats will also be penalized harshly.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
h532D0027_zpsrh8h32ve.jpg

Rules Rules Rules, always in my way !! Dagnabbit ....:eek:

gandog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw something online about Tom Brady getting a suspension from Roger Gooodell for his role in "Deflategate" Whether it is true or not I am waiting to see.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying 6-8 games. Thinking about it I more I think the appropriate precedent is bounty gate. Same issues with pre meditation, conspiracy, integrity of the game. In that case Vilma got a full year as did Payton. This strikes me as the best comparison. Overly harsh? I would think so, but I felt that way about bounty gate. Seemed excessive for a little cash amongst friends.

So if they are consistent Brady and Belichick will be out for the year.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying 6-8 games. Thinking about it I more I think the appropriate precedent is bounty gate. Same issues with pre meditation, conspiracy, integrity of the game. In that case Vilma got a full year as did Payton. This strikes me as the best comparison. Overly harsh? I would think so, but I felt that way about bounty gate. Seemed excessive for a little cash amongst friends.

Drugs are bad for you.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm predicting 4 games with an appeal bringing it down to 2 games for Brady.
Loss of a draft pick (1 or 2) for lack of institutional control.
2 mil fine for the same.

Pats have the Cowboys week 5 (After the bye) so maybe he gets 3 games, the bye week to practice and then the triumphant return against the Boys.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. The Saints were deemed to be intentionally trying to hurt people which was a huge issue considering the on going legislation against the league due to injuries. Payton also lied and said he knew nothing about it. This report indicates ole hoodie did not know, unlike the Saints report which indicated Payton absolutely knew.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The Saints were deemed to be intentionally trying to hurt people which was a huge issue considering the on going legislation against the league due to injuries. Payton also lied and said he knew nothing about it. This report indicates ole hoodie did not know, unlike the Saints report which indicated Payton absolutely knew.

For an alleged perfectionist and control coach like BB is reported to be, the chances of him not knowing of the deflated balls are pretty much zero. Especially considering his spy-gate history, as well as the behaviour of Chip Kelly as Eagles coach, who is a BB adept as far as controlling everything he possibly can control goes.

As much as he probably wanted to, Goodell could not afford to leave Brady of the hook, simply because it is beyond credulity that Brady would not feel the difference or notice the ball being (too) soft. Also - with the spy gate history, and Goodell's shown incompetence (and that is the positive interpretation) in the Ray Rice case, again only scape-goating the equipment guys is/was no longer an option. The apparent evidence of phone-calls and text-messages seals the deal, of course.