• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Wiz talking to me? Were 8-2 I think we did something about it but all I'm saying is for an official to blow that 2006 Oregon-Oklahoma game shows that call and how bad it was on the onside kick as bad as that call was they also had a chance to review it and they still said Oklahoma touched it first with that bad of a call me and many people have the right to believe in conspiracies especially with what has happened in the NBA. But I really don't know what to think can an official really be that bad?

The first paragraph was for you explaining what Vita was saying about the difference in perception between both of your schools. The rest was adding to the overall conversation.

ASU has done a better job than every other team in the conference at getting the discipline out of both lines and limiting stupid penalties. No one is trying to suggest otherwise. It is still true that because of their rep they will end up with less borderline calls and teams like UW and UCLA with their reps will get more of those as the refs anticipate what both teams are doing on plays they only partially see or otherwise have a coin to flip in their heads.

I made no comment on your oregon oklahoma rant. I personally don't believe in conspiracies and made that comment to no one in particular. I was just qualifying my rant against our refs in general.

Not only are our refs really that incompetent, but even the replay officials shouldn't have a job in this conference. We have seen several plays that even the backup system blew. It is just an all around cluster fuck and I'm tired of it.

I will respectfully disagree that our conferences inept refs doesn't have any impact on scheduling games. Maybe it isn't the only factor for a school to decide on who to take a game with, but it has to be something factored in.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you make such a statement, 08? Fewer penalties is a cornerstone of Graham's coaching philosophy, not incidental. Erickson won two NC rings with likely the most undisciplined teams ever at Miami. Didn't work for ASU.

What I meant is that because we are more disciplined and commit less penalties we now have a positive reputation and refs now give us the benefit of the doubt in borderline calls. It's not to take away from what Graham has done, it's just human nature for the refs to throw more borderline flags against "dirty" teams and to throw less against teams that are respectful to them.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I meant is that because we are more disciplined and commit less penalties we now have a positive reputation and refs now give us the benefit of the doubt in borderline calls. It's not to take away from what Graham has done, it's just human nature for the refs to throw more borderline flags against "dirty" teams and to throw less against teams that are respectful to them.

There is some merit to this. During the Pete Carroll era, USC legitimately became known for "excessive celebrating" (I was even complaining about our excessive celebration at the time). When the NCAA decided to start cracking down on this, we kind of became the "poster boys" for that particular call.

This lead to some pretty borderline and even ridiculous excessive celebration penalties against USC because the refs were looking for it and USC was known for it. After about a season of toning it down a bit, the calls stopped for the most part.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Withers from the Seattle Times is speculating that with the likely scenario of there being more PAC12 teams that are bowl eligible (will also depend on if two PAC teams get BCS bids), than could handle our existing tie-in bowl agreements (7 of them). That these three bowls could be in play for the 1 or 2 that wouldn't make the initial cut:

Little Caesars (Detroit)
Heart of Dallas (Dallas)
Pinstripe (NYC)

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some merit to this. During the Pete Carroll era, USC legitimately became known for "excessive celebrating" (I was even complaining about our excessive celebration at the time). When the NCAA decided to start cracking down on this, we kind of became the "poster boys" for that particular call.

This lead to some pretty borderline and even ridiculous excessive celebration penalties against USC because the refs were looking for it and USC was known for it. After about a season of toning it down a bit, the calls stopped for the most part.

30 for 30 had a show on the Miami Hurricanes of the late 80's and early 90's and they talked about how the NCAA came out with video on how improper celebration would lead to the flag being thrown, the part that was interesting all the highlights on the tape were of those Miami teams.... The NCAA sure does like to target (even though they say the don't) programs ....

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 for 30 had a show on the Miami Hurricanes of the late 80's and early 90's and they talked about how the NCAA came out with video on how improper celebration would lead to the flag being thrown, the part that was interesting all the highlights on the tape were of those Miami teams.... The NCAA sure does like to target (even though they say the don't) programs ....

That was my favorite 30 for 30. That happened with Dennis Erickson as the coach.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do remember that they got to be pretty ridiculous there for awhile. Good perspective on the Pac's reasoning.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my favorite 30 for 30. That happened with Dennis Erickson as the coach.

Yep, he acted like he was in a different country during those media clips, I guess when he left there he could handle the NFL gig, and with him taken that job is also my own personal reason for not becoming a Coug...

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Espn 30 for 30s 1.Catching Hell
2.Unguarded
3.Survive and Advance
Jimmy V gave some of the most emotional speeches the speech he gave when he was at NC States home court for the last time makes me tear up. Anyway..........

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking and reading about officials=BORING.

I will check back in a day or two to see if y'all are done. Yes, PAC refs suck. Everyone has been screwed a time or two with bad calls. But its the same in every sport, everywhere. Get over it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if it pisses shaver off that we are talking about the refs then I'm going to stay on that topic for at least a couple of days.

:suds:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First down - Stanford. :clap: Not that they didn't give SC a pretty big make up call at the end of the game....:whistle:

pac12 - YouTube

Haha my clip just sums up to me that the Pac 12 officials aren't as focused and are no where near as talented as other conferences officials this 1 video sums it up an official is staring into no mans land then his attention comes back to the play and he waves incomplete before the ball even hits the ground (even though it never hit the ground it was intercepted) showing that he wasn't even paying attention until way after the snap. :L

Your clip is just even worse officiating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha my clip just sums up to me that the Pac 12 officials aren't as focused and are no where near as talented as other conferences officials this 1 video sums it up an official is staring into no mans land then his attention comes back to the play and he waves incomplete before the ball even hits the ground (even though it never hit the ground it was intercepted) showing that he wasn't even paying attention until way after the snap. :L

Your clip is just even worse officiating.

Yes, but does nothing to prove the relative competency or talent of officials between conferences. If they somehow cleaned house entirely in a conference, then somehow hired all the top officials in the USA, there would still be bad calls, there would still be distractions, etc, because perfection is not attainable, period, because every call is an opinion based on the rules of the game applied by that particular referee. But, there is something the players can do and that's not piss the refs off with their arrogant and disrespectful behavior, ASU fans know what I mean, refs are human, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.