• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea but some of the OC games including Oklahoma-Oregon 2006 and Wisconsin-ASU in 2013. Do you think Oklahoma wants to schedule an away game vs a good Pac 12 team? How long did it take Oklahoma to recover from that bull shit? And Wisconsin got fucked but still bad officials that whole game.

It goes both ways. I remember the Huskies getting bent over by Big10 refs, including multiple game changing phantom P.I. calls, when we went to Nebraska in 2011.

And also this which was one of the worst officiating calls I ever witnessed:

Only football moments earlier, tied at 17 with just over two minutes left in the first half, UW’s Kiel Rasp sailed a hanging punt to the Nebraska 41-yard line for a waiting Cornhusker Tim Marlowe.

But Marlowe missed the catch, the ball grazed off his left ankle and bounced in the arms of Husky Jamaal Kerse, who picked it up and scampered forty yards into the end zone for a seemingly surprising touchdown and 24-17 Husky lead.

Suddenly the fun was snuffed by a late-flying hankie that drifted lazily into the mayhem near the end zone. A dreaded phantom call had just been ushered.

Washington was being penalized 15 yards for a bogus “kick catching interference” infraction on Washington’s Cort Dennison.

Truth was, there was no hand up for a fair catch by Marlowe, as the refs alleged. Nor was Dennison anywhere near Marlowe.

An absolutely terrible call that was played over and over on replays to the nationally televised featured game on ABC.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams get jobbed by bad calls all the time. This isn't exclusive to the PAC. Between GB and UofWisky fans, that state has to have some of the biggest crybaby whiners in sports.

The PAC and Big10 will continue to book plenty of H&Hs. Both confs benefit from our historical connection, including the granddaddy of them all.

I take it you haven't read up on this much? It is well known and often written about. 5 of the top 10 most penalized teams in the nation are in the Pac. And there is only 1 in the bottom 30. Every team has their bad calls for sure, but the Pac specializes in an incompetence not seem elsewhere in D1. Want some links to any of the stories about it?

I'm not just saying this because UW had a bad call. I mean turning the ball over on your first two possessions isn't a recipe for winning. Who knows had that TD counted what would have happened, but UW didn't do enough to earn it anyway.

I bring this up because week after week we see other glaring examples of just plain stupidity. Again, not the borderline calls, but clear examples that some of these guys are way over their heads.

It just gets old and there never seems to be any improvement.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike, in this case the team didn't even put in a request to the conference to review it. They reviewed it on their own and called with the apology. Sark pretty much threw his hands up and said thanks, but what is sorry supposed to do for us now? He is getting tired of having to send film to the conference every week.

Part of it for UW and probably for UCLA as well is since we are among the most penalized teams in the country the refs know that and are looking for things to call because of it. Everyone who has ever worked in the front offices of officiating tells you that stuff goes on. They have meetings before the games and know the teams tenancies and look for things to call in those areas.

Both teams probably have enough valid things called to really not need any help with these stupid phantom extras. Out of the 11 penalties called against us in the game, I'm sure at least 8 were valid. It is an undisciplined team that shoots itself in the foot way too many times.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It goes both ways. I remember the Huskies getting bent over by Big10 refs, including multiple game changing phantom P.I. calls, when we went to Nebraska in 2011.

And also this which was one of the worst officiating calls I ever witnessed:

Only football moments earlier, tied at 17 with just over two minutes left in the first half, UW’s Kiel Rasp sailed a hanging punt to the Nebraska 41-yard line for a waiting Cornhusker Tim Marlowe.

But Marlowe missed the catch, the ball grazed off his left ankle and bounced in the arms of Husky Jamaal Kerse, who picked it up and scampered forty yards into the end zone for a seemingly surprising touchdown and 24-17 Husky lead.

Suddenly the fun was snuffed by a late-flying hankie that drifted lazily into the mayhem near the end zone. A dreaded phantom call had just been ushered.

Washington was being penalized 15 yards for a bogus “kick catching interference” infraction on Washington’s Cort Dennison.

Truth was, there was no hand up for a fair catch by Marlowe, as the refs alleged. Nor was Dennison anywhere near Marlowe.

An absolutely terrible call that was played over and over on replays to the nationally televised featured game on ABC.
Yes, and what happened to that crew after?

Bad calls happen, but the Pac has way more than the other conferences. Seriously, we aren't just making this up. Google pac 12 refs and see what you find. Every single national caster talks about it. Herbstreit has done a piece on it just recently.

Read this, maybe it will open your eyes.
Herbstreit: Pac-12 is worst conference when it comes to officiating - Local - MyNorthwest.com

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G refs cost ASU a bowl berth against Wisconsin in 2010 :noidea:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike, in this case the team didn't even put in a request to the conference to review it. They reviewed it on their own and called with the apology. Sark pretty much threw his hands up and said thanks, but what is sorry supposed to do for us now? He is getting tired of having to send film to the conference every week.

Part of it for UW and probably for UCLA as well is since we are among the most penalized teams in the country the refs know that and are looking for things to call because of it. Everyone who has ever worked in the front offices of officiating tells you that stuff goes on. They have meetings before the games and know the teams tenancies and look for things to call in those areas.

Both teams probably have enough valid things called to really not need any help with these stupid phantom extras. Out of the 11 penalties called against us in the game, I'm sure at least 8 were valid. It is an undisciplined team that shoots itself in the foot way too many times.
Tis true Wiz and I'm sure it works that way on the flip side of the coin too.

When you said earlier only 'one' team in the PAC is in the bottom percent for penalties called I knew right away it was ASU. It will be interesting to see how those polar 'reputations' impact the game.

All either fan base can really want or ask for is a good game.....

Played and Officiated.

Don't know what I'm still doing up, I gotsta get! :bolt:

Goodnight PAC brothers!!

:yahoo:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you said earlier only 'one' team in the PAC is in the bottom percent for penalties called I knew right away it was ASU. It will be interesting to see how those polar 'reputations' impact the game.

Played and Officiated.

Goodnight PAC brothers!!

Or because Graham is the most discipline coach in the Pac 12 and one of the tops in college football? Come on under Erickson we led the conference every year in penalties and penalty yards.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Played and Officiated.

Goodnight PAC brothers!!

Mora is not discipline and Graham is? Teams get owned each week in penalties and penalty yardage Graham is that discipline.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B1G refs cost ASU a bowl berth against Wisconsin in 2010 :noidea:

Exactly. The point I'm making is for teams from other confs to claim they will refuse to book HH series with PAC teams because they'll get the hometown ref treatment when they visit the west is utter BS. PAC refs suck ass, but they aren't biased in their calls. They suck ass whoever the two opponents are. You just cross your fingers and hope the world class bad calls don't get called on you, but the other team that day.

It's an across the board level of suck by the PAC refs. Remember Larry Scott promised to fix this after his first year as commish? That they were going to commit financial resources to fix the PAC ref issues?
Well that was years ago and it's like it's actually gotten worse. Guess I've grown numb to it after it's cost UW so much, but when I look around on any given PAC game, we're not the only ones getting raped by the zebras.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Played and Officiated.

Goodnight PAC brothers!!

Back when we had Burifct if one of our players so much as looked at the opposing QB wrong flags would go flying. We had a reputation and all the refs hated us, and they deserved it. Now we have a reputation of being disciplined and the refs give us the benefit of the doubt in most close calls. All of our captains shake the refs hands before every game and after every play and TD our players find a ref and hand them the ball.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I dont know what Vita is saying. Graham is very discipline while Mora is way more lose that's why UCLA gets a lot of penalties.

Remember last year in Tempe when there receivers held every play? It wasn't called either. I remember well!

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I dont know what Vita is saying. Graham is very discipline while Mora is way more lose that's why UCLA gets a lot of penalties.

Remember last year in Tempe when there receivers held every play? It wasn't called either. I remember well!

I think his point was pretty clear. Reputations impact calling. ASU has a reputation of not having many penalties and his point was that helps influence the refs to not make as many borderline calls against them.

That doesn't mean they outright ignore things, but refs have to make split second decisions and when they have it in their heads that a team is sloppy or sound it helps them in making those close calls.

I don't think there is any mass conspiracy. I don't think our refs are trying to throw games one way or another. I believe that we just have way more than our share of utterly incompetent officials that end up having an impact on games way too often. Of course UW has at times been on the other side of bad calls and I don't want to see that either. Color me crazy here, but I'd just like to see the kids decide the outcome of all of our games, not the zebras. I'd rather leave a game and not ever have even thought about there being refs on the field.

I waited a few days to bring this play up because I didn't want it to look like I was blaming the refs for our loss. We totally blew that game anyway. Sure, having that TD count could have been a big swing in the game and who knows. What we do know is UW did turn the ball over and gave UCLA 14 points and did commit way too many 3rd down penalties on both sides of the ball to deserve to win anyway.

I can recall seeing these apology posts on the Seattle Times husky blog way too many times this year. This is at least the 4th game with some sort of apology I can recall. Stop apologizing every week AND FUCKING DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. That too much to ask?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC recruiting activity is picking up. Expect the chaos to really start cranking up from this point till LOI. Just over the past 24 hours.

UW commit WR Erik Brown has flipped to..........Cal???

Bama commit OG Viane Talamaivao flipped to USC.

WSU commit OT Braden Eggert flipped to Oregon.

CB John Plattenburg Jr. committed to UCLA over UW, Oregon, and Baylor.

USC is still limited to around 15 recruits this class. It's open season for the rest.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea but some of the OC games including Oklahoma-Oregon 2006 and Wisconsin-ASU in 2013. Do you think Oklahoma wants to schedule an away game vs a good Pac 12 team? How long did it take Oklahoma to recover from that bull shit? And Wisconsin got fucked but still bad officials that whole game.

Wisconsin didn't get "fucked" in the first place. The refs missed a clear out of bounds that was reviewed by B1G officials who were wrong that set up that whole controversy in the first place. Any other call would have screwed ASU who deserved it even less than Wisky. You have a short memory, Jahii. We got jobbed even worse at Wisconsin by the officials when we played there that did cost us the game. They were not incompetent or paid off, just made some bad calls. We lost by one point. Wisconsin fans have zero to cry about. Will always happen even if officials are competent and dedicated. Quit whining, its part of the game, everybody gets screwed once in while. Deal with it, live with it. Football survived a hundred years without instant replay to slow the game down. Does the conference no good to criticize our refs when they are no worse than any others. Even with instant replay, what happened is sometimes controversial.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisconsin didn't get "fucked" in the first place. Wisconsin fans have zero to cry about. Football survived a hundred years without instant replay to slow the game down.

Exactly. Sad thing is everybody watching the replay of Duckworths reception knew he was out of bounds, including the more vocal cheeseheads whining about the game.

They got a gift and werent allowed to open it. Too bad. So sad. Get over it or fuck off I say.

I'm not really going to defend our refs because they are simply too trigger happy on flags. They throw more thus they blow more.

However damn near every game I watch I see BS penalties. Some are worse than others but the fact remains if you look at the worst calls ever most of them don't involve pac teams and some of them that do are the pac teams getting screwed.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complaining about penalties are for losers.....

Most of the time, and then there are times like this....

An absolute terrible call that cost the Dubbs 7 pts.

I don't care if it 'looked' like a penalty, they should 'know' it was a penalty.

Leave the guessing for this guy!

th

99% of the time I would agree with you and I have never been one to blame refs for a loss. However, I remember that hands to the face call vividly (mostly because I immediately sent texts to a couple of friends who are Bruins giveing them crap) and as Wiz points out, it wasn't even borderline, it simply didn't happen. It cost Washington a touchdown and in what was ultimately a 10 point game, that's a huge call.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when we had Burifct if one of our players so much as looked at the opposing QB wrong flags would go flying. We had a reputation and all the refs hated us, and they deserved it. Now we have a reputation of being disciplined and the refs give us the benefit of the doubt in most close calls. All of our captains shake the refs hands before every game and after every play and TD our players find a ref and hand them the ball.

How can you make such a statement, 08? Fewer penalties is a cornerstone of Graham's coaching philosophy, not incidental. Erickson won two NC rings with likely the most undisciplined teams ever at Miami. Didn't work for ASU.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Wiz talking to me? Were 8-2 I think we did something about it but all I'm saying is for an official to blow that 2006 Oregon-Oklahoma game shows that call and how bad it was on the onside kick as bad as that call was they also had a chance to review it and they still said Oklahoma touched it first with that bad of a call me and many people have the right to believe in conspiracies especially with what has happened in the NBA. But I really don't know what to think can an official really be that bad?

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can you make such a statement, 08? Fewer penalties is a cornerstone of Graham's coaching philosophy, not incidental. Erickson won two NC rings with likely the most undisciplined teams ever at Miami. Didn't work for ASU.

Erickson was old and didn't feel like coaching same with his staff and add to the fact Erickson couldn't adjust to the modern day game.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Wiz talking to me? Were 8-2 I think we did something about it but all I'm saying is for an official to blow that 2006 Oregon-Oklahoma game shows that call and how bad it was on the onside kick as bad as that call was they also had a chance to review it and they still said Oklahoma touched it first with that bad of a call me and many people have the right to believe in conspiracies especially with what has happened in the NBA. But I really don't know what to think can an official really be that bad?

Ref's make the call instantly, Jahii, and sometimes they are wrong. They are human. Always has been and always will be in every sport requiring an official. You make your decision after minutes of reviewing the incident over and over. And if you're a hard-on like Herbstreight (?), you've got time and means to slant your argument in any way you want, pro or con. I am not impressed with ESPN's integrity. That bunch sells their soul every weekend imo.:bawling:

Status
Not open for further replies.