• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me the Sarks reign has been a roller coaster. I prefer D and a pro style offense, but he's done well with his system so I can't really complain too loudly.

I question his offense, he came up in the "west coast offense" at BYU, I would like to see more of the pro offense, these bubble screens, please, that crap only gets you so far, and if the opposing teams corners are just as fast as your wide outs, its a no brainer...

Defense yes, I believe is the one thing that gets you to the top, James/Lambright changed that around in the 90's big boys up front with speed at the LB and Corners, this hasn't come back yet.....

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see more of the pro offense,

Look at our team. Personally I think it's built for a pro style offense.

Good run blocking, great stable of backs an underused beast of a tight end, a decent QB who only looks bad when the pass blocking fails, which is quite often. We're still 99th in the nation in sacks allowed. Most of which came against that next tier of competition we can't seem to beat and consistently get hammered with their ability to put pressure on the QB.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word out of Corvallis is Riley is 100% safe. Decarollis the OSU AD will not get rid of OSU over this.

My cousin is a big time OSU donor who wreslted @ OSU.

And lets put this in perspective. Who is OSU going to get that will be better or even have an equal to resume?

I dont think OSU fans like to hear the reality of the situation and that is they are the second fiddle in a non football power state. Lets think who they recruit against.

A 9 win season every 2 or 3 years is the ceiling here IMO. Sure, they had the Fiesta win and Conference co champ status in 2000. But that was done with an Erickson group of players.

Not trying to slam OSU, but that is where we are here with this program.

Riley is a figure head HC who amazingly can also coach. A rarity nowadays.

What needs to happen is for OSU to revisit Riley's coaching staff and start over. There is where the problem is. Do this and OSU will be an improved program year in and out.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word out of Corvallis is Riley is 100% safe. Decarollis the OSU AD will not get rid of OSU over this.

My cousin is a big time OSU donor who wreslted @ OSU.

And lets put this in perspective. Who is OSU going to get that will be better or even have an equal to resume?

I dont think OSU fans like to hear the reality of the situation and that is they are the second fiddle in a non football power state. Lets think who they recruit against.

A 9 win season every 2 or 3 years is the ceiling here IMO. Sure, they had the Fiesta win and Conference co champ status in 2000. But that was done with an Erickson group of players.

Not trying to slam OSU, but that is where we are here with this program.

Riley is a figure head HC who amazingly can also coach. A rarity nowadays.

What needs to happen is for OSU to revisit Riley's coaching staff and start over. There is where the problem is. Do this and OSU will be an improved program year in and out.

My first thought as well was they're not gonna get someone as good as him...I thin they would have to take a risk on a mid major coach (like us)

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought as well was they're not gonna get someone as good as him...I thin they would have to take a risk on a mid major coach (like us)

Their coaching tree doesnt seem big either. Bronco Mendenhal at BYU was a former assisstant would be the best of any coaching ties to the school.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is now selling tickets to the West Endzone for the USC/UCLA game. I wonder if that means UCLA returned some tickets.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said if the Beavers really do get rid of Riley, who else in the pac might jump on him?

I think if he gets fired the conference will likely lose him unless he's willing to take an assistants job for awhile someplace.

Cal maybe? But they are in the same boat as the Buffs. First year coach with little to work with.

Cal and Colorado are seemingly the only two choices in the pac. USC is hiring but it's likely they already have their guy whether it be Orgeron or someone else.

Just out of respect for him, I think USC would consider him. How strong a candidate he was would be would depend on whether or not Haden believed that what has happened at Oregon St. this year is a talent/injury issue, or as someone mentioned, the game has passed him by.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another quick note on Riley, the guy is very rooted in the community in Corvallis, and a pillar of the city. I agree with everything Mamba says on Riley and will also add this:

Although I talk a LOT of trash and I hate the Beavers, Riley runs an OVERALL clean program. He graduates his players, and for the most part, helps them become good MEN. Look at the Rogers brothers. Read a story about them and what they dealt with in life, and what a difference Riley made in brining them out to OSU. Now of course, in a small college town, you are going to have players get in trouble, so there is always the drunk player or two sneaking into houses naked, and stuff like that. (sorry, I just had to sneak that one in...lol)

But overall, Riley is probably the BEST thing that has happened to OSU in a long time. And I m not just talking about their football program. There has been a lot of changes around campus and despite people like me calling them little brother, they are a very VERY respectable University.

I still hate the Beavers, but how can you hate on a guy like Riley. Just an overall awesome guy.

Now that DC Banker, he is another story and should have been fired last year.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their coaching tree doesnt seem big either. Bronco Mendenhal at BYU was a former assisstant would be the best of any coaching ties to the school.

I'm not sure that OSU would be a big step up for Mendenhal currently. I think BYU averages a little over 60K for home games and has a respectable budget especially for an independent not named Notre Dame. Should have better access to bowl games but financially I wouldn't see a big step up.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY thing gay around here are the chest thumpin Huskies...Enjoy the ride called college football.

I see someone is still trying to dig out all the sand Sark packed up your Beaver. Keep digging or hit reverse on that leaf blower and use that.

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another quick note on Riley, the guy is very rooted in the community in Corvallis, and a pillar of the city. I agree with everything Mamba says on Riley and will also add this:

Although I talk a LOT of trash and I hate the Beavers, Riley runs an OVERALL clean program. He graduates his players, and for the most part, helps them become good MEN. Look at the Rogers brothers. Read a story about them and what they dealt with in life, and what a difference Riley made in brining them out to OSU. Now of course, in a small college town, you are going to have players get in trouble, so there is always the drunk player or two sneaking into houses naked, and stuff like that. (sorry, I just had to sneak that one in...lol)

But overall, Riley is probably the BEST thing that has happened to OSU in a long time. And I m not just talking about their football program. There has been a lot of changes around campus and despite people like me calling them little brother, they are a very VERY respectable University.

I still hate the Beavers, but how can you hate on a guy like Riley. Just an overall awesome guy.

Now that DC Banker, he is another story and should have been fired last year.
It's rare when I can agree with you on the subject of football in the state of Oregon. What you've said here is complete and accurate. Banker's defense sucked this season. Last season, he had a different and very effective scheme that stopped the opponent's run game, but lacked in pass defense and had trouble w/mobile QBs. Maybe with more practice and familiarity, it could work better next season, but a good-great defense can make up for a lot of sputtering on the offense by keeping it close. As far as Riley moving on, it's always possible, though not likely. He does have a 2nd home in Texas that the media was talking about last yr when the Beavs were playing Texas in the Alamo Bowl. He was already given the chance for the USC HC job when PC left for Seattle, and turned it down. USC got Kiffen :L and OSU kept Riley. Coach Riley is more of a mentor to the players to make MEN out of them 1st, and players out of them 2nd as you implied. I can't see Riley ever having that "killer instinct" to run up scores, cheat the system, or bring in dirty players to get wins. He's done the most with the least talented recruits IMO over the years, rarely getting better than 3 star recruits.:clap:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone ever do last weeks pick'em results? And has this weeks spread been posted?

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU fans spray painting our wildcat statue.. real mature

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY thing gay around here are the chest thumpin Huskies...Enjoy the ride called college football.
Who was chest thumping?

I said Riley was my favorite coach in the conference and all I said was I would be pissed if I was a beaver fan, but didn't call for Riley's head, nor do I think he should be fired. I love the program he runs and always have.

I didn't see ANY dawg fan taunting or otherwise saying anything to beaver fans after that game. NOTHING. Why would any husky be chest thumping when they lost again to oregon and stanford, got embarrassed by ASU, and played an absolutely terrible game at UCLA? Beating the beavers in that convincing fashion probably surprised us as much as it did you, but it sure doesn't take the heat off of Sark and the failures of this season. I'm sure it will quiet things down a little, but none of us are satisfied with this season.

Seems to me you are taking out your frustrations about your team on us. Guess we can understand that, but no one here has been picking on you or Riley.

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley is a great coach. And even fans in the conference have nothing but respect for him. Great coach.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley is a great coach. And even fans in the conference have nothing but respect for him. Great coach.

True, but how many of us would trade our coach for Riley? I will take Shaw over him, but that has to do with Shaw's ability to speak to recruits realistically about the Stanford experience, oh and he seems to be a heck of a coach, except for those pesky road losses to un-ranked teams. :).

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but how many of us would trade our coach for Riley? I will take Shaw over him, but that has to do with Shaw's ability to speak to recruits realistically about the Stanford experience, oh and he seems to be a heck of a coach, except for those pesky road losses to un-ranked teams. :).

Well first off Shaw is at Stanford...................... Riley is at Oregon State its much tougher to keep a coach at Oregon State than it is to keep one at Stanford. Riley is loyal, good recruiter, and always has above average teams. He will eventually have a breakout year and I believe he can get the Beavers back to a rose bowl.

I love Graham but he could leave at any minute he hasn't show the loyalty that Riley has shown. Riley is one of the most respected coaches in the conference. Oregon State found a great and loyal coach. Riley is better than most coaches in the conference too btw. Also I think if Riley was at Stanford he would be even better than Shaw, Shaw is a great coach but come on hes at Stanford, much easier to recruit then at Oregon State. :suds:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well at least you can now say that one of your losses was to the #23 ranked team!!:lol:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least you can now say that one of your losses was to the #23 ranked team!!:lol:

But they didn't stay in the rankings. That hurts. And also got killed by an unranked team, but yea they did lose to the #23 ranked team.............. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.