• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The PAC12 THREAD v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TF the best thing they can do is give him the job, he's really turned it around down there and the players respond well to in charge...

I would have zero problem if Coach O were given the job. However, I think that giving it to him right now would be a mistake. Not because he isn't the best man for the job, but because it would be a decision made based on emotion, not business.

I love what Coach O is doing and how the team has responded. Assuming we win the next 2 games, I think that the only way he doesn't get it is if USC lands a huge name. When I say huge, I mean Gruden, Dungy, Saban level. A name where even Coach O would have to say "I'd have hired him too".

Coach O is doing exactly what he should do and what I'm sure that Pat Haden hoped he would do and that's to make it very, very difficult for him to give the job to anyone else. It sure doesn't hurt his cause when one considers that we have just had a 4 star Alabama commit and Cal's top recruit flip to USC.

However it turns out, I believe Haden will make the correct choice for the future of the program.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If USC doesn't promote, you have to believe someone will make him an offer he won't refuse. What he's done is unbelievable, although an intricate knowledge of the team may have much to do with it.

Honestly, even if he doesn't get it, I think it would be difficult for anyone to get him to leave. He has already said that if he doesn't get it, he's like to stay as recruiting coordinator. The guy loves USC and is already the highest paid assistant in the country.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am i the only Duck fan that sees this as a meh, blip on the radar. Yes I had high expectations but the fact that Oregon has 2 loses this season, is about how things have been going lately. I mean Oregon had its first double digit wins under Bellotti and he only did it 4 times in 14 seasons. including 10-3 his last year. Kelly went 10-3 in his first season. and went 12-2 in 2011. Oregon under Helf could still get to 11-2.

:agree:Of course its a blip on the radar. Although most Duck fans are shocked and distraught at being upset, who wouldn't be, but a loss of only two games is a not a bad season season. Why would you not have great expectations. Upsets happen ever week and are not the end of a good program. But we all know the feeling of losing one you shouldn't have. Couldn't help feeling sorry for the team after watching Mariota's news conference following. Comments re the Rose Bowl by indiscriminate players hurt the team's national image more than a loss does IMO.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, even if he doesn't get it, I think it would be difficult for anyone to get him to leave. He has already said that if he doesn't get it, he's like to stay as recruiting coordinator. The guy loves USC and is already the highest paid assistant in the country.

And now he knows the personal satisfaction, publicity and benefits of being a successful HC and a redeemed HC at that after his failed attempt in Miss. He's got to love that as well. I didn't know who he was when he took over, I sure do now. You guys were so lucky to have him there to step up. If winning football is the goal, I don't see how they can afford to let him go.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now he knows the personal satisfaction, publicity and benefits of being a successful HC and a redeemed HC at that after his failed attempt in Miss. He's got to love that as well. I didn't know who he was when he took over, I sure do now. You guys were so lucky to have him there to step up. If winning football is the goal, I don't see how they can afford to let him go.

True, his stock has definitely risen. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and what he has done, but hiring him defensively (just to keep another school from getting him) would be a mistake, imo.

I'd say that he's got to be the frontrunner at this point. He's 5-1 and 2 missed field goals from being 6-0, he has a "signature win", his team avoided the "trap game" (Colorado on the road sandwiched between Stanford and UCLA), he is one of the top recruiters in the country and his players love him and want to win for him. That's a pretty strong resume'.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Del Rio and Sumlin are reported to be their #1 and #2 right, but I think both will lean to stay with their current gigs.

You always have to be worried about going with a hot hand choice, but I think coach O could be the right guy for at least 3 more years, etc.. because:

USC is still neck deep in sanctions and still has to take another 15 player class in Feb. The effects of this are going to be felt for years to come. Coach O seems to be the right guy at this time to maximize the performance of what they can do.

Plus he's one of the best at the game of recruiting. Bama and Cal being the latest victims. But Coach O also brings a rep of $hady recruiting with this. USC can't afford the NCAA hammering them again any time soon. There is some risk to him being the HC there.

And the rest of the PAC better be ready to go to war because god help us for the 2015 classes. The floodgates will be open for USC and will be taking very big classes to refill their depth ASAP. Whoever you got as the Crown Jewels of your 2015 classes, USC will be looking at them as items on a menu.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where I see this conference right now:

Top Tier Teams :

Stanford, Oregon, SC - these three will have the national spot light again next year, SC will be back once they get there schollies back its just a given.

Second Tier teams:

ASU UW, UCLA, Arizona, Utah- Arizona and UCLA are the two I'm still not convinced, Cats had a great win yesterday, but they need to beat the middle teams as well, and for UCLA I just don't believe in Mora, never had and never will

Third Tier teams:

OSU, Wazzu, Cal , Colorado- I got OSU down there for the simple reason they took a step back this season, but I believe if they adjust get better blocking I think can be a pain in the ass next season for opposing teams...
Mora needs to find a way to win as the underdog. This year, his team won every game they were favored in and lost all three games they were the underdogs.

College coaches too have learning curves and I think he's in the middle of his. If he continues to learn, he'll be around awhile, if not he'll find the door sooner than later like all the others, not doubt!

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have zero problem if Coach O were given the job. However, I think that giving it to him right now would be a mistake. Not because he isn't the best man for the job, but because it would be a decision made based on emotion, not business.

I love what Coach O is doing and how the team has responded. Assuming we win the next 2 games, I think that the only way he doesn't get it is if USC lands a huge name. When I say huge, I mean Gruden, Dungy, Saban level. A name where even Coach O would have to say "I'd have hired him too".

Coach O is doing exactly what he should do and what I'm sure that Pat Haden hoped he would do and that's to make it very, very difficult for him to give the job to anyone else. It sure doesn't hurt his cause when one considers that we have just had a 4 star Alabama commit and Cal's top recruit flip to USC.

However it turns out, I believe Haden will make the correct choice for the future of the program.

Well, flipping a California kid from Alabama to USC shouldn't be all that hard, but it's obviously a step in the right direction and firing Kiffin has had a positive effect.

As for difficulty in hiring Coach O, umm, you just hired/fired Kiffin. Are they worried it could get worse?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, flipping a California kid from Alabama to USC shouldn't be all that hard, but it's obviously a step in the right direction and firing Kiffin has had a positive effect.

As for difficulty in hiring Coach O, umm, you just hired/fired Kiffin. Are they worried it could get worse?

No. But the USC job comes with a list of requirements that's a lot longer than most college coaches have at other schools. Part of the job is smoozing the ultra cutthroat LA media market which a guy like Pete Carroll was an expert in and smoozing some very high net worth alumni.

You also have to deal with all the celebs and rich bandwagon fans who show up when USC is winning and use them they same way they're using you. You have to be the ultimate players coach to manage all the distractions the players are going to be involved in on-campus and partying around LA. Pete loved that stuff. Many coaches don't want to deal with that gaga B.S. all the time or can't present an image of being L.A. cool. Basically, you have to commit every second of your existence to this job and have to be the ultimate general. All your assistants have to be workaholic ballers as well.

USC got drunk with success with Pete Carroll. Past couple years was the hangover, but they want another Pete Carroll there.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's worth noting that USC wasn't all that great before Carroll got it rolling. Hell, we used to have a winning record against them. I don't think it's a sure thing a new coach makes them great again. If they've got a guy who can win there now, they need to keep him.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's worth noting that USC wasn't all that great before Carroll got it rolling. Hell, we used to have a winning record against them. I don't think it's a sure thing a new coach makes them great again. If they've got a guy who can win there now, they need to keep him.

I think you're confused. Carroll resurrected a program that was a perennial national championship contender. Even before him in what was considered USC downtime they won the conference 6 times and went to at least 3 Rose Bowls. Only UCLA and UW performed better in that period.

Last edited by a moderator:

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're confused. Carroll resurrected a program that was a perennial national championship contender. Even before him in what was considered USC downtime they won the conference 5 times and went to at least 3 Rose Bowls. Only UCLA and UW performed better in that period.

I was referring to the then recent past. USC hadn't had a top 10 finish in over a decade when Carroll was hired and hadn't been in serious championship contention since the late 70s.

If that's good enough for them, great. I'd be ecstatic if ASU had to deal with the 8 win variety of USC for the foreseeable future.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are the bowl tie ins for the pac12?

This year is

Rose
Alamo
Holiday
Sun
Vegas
Kraft Fight Hunger
New Mexico

however going forward
Rose
Alamo
Holiday
Kraft Fight Hunger (moves up due to adding Big 10 opponent and move to new 49ers stadium)
Sun
Buffalo Wild Wings
Las Vegas

I think thats it

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year is

Rose
Alamo
Holiday
Sun
Vegas
Kraft Fight Hunger
New Mexico

however going forward
Rose
Alamo
Holiday
Kraft Fight Hunger (moves up due to adding Big 10 opponent and move to new 49ers stadium)
Sun
Buffalo Wild Wings
Las Vegas

I think thats it

There is talk of a new bowl being created and played at the LA coliseum starting next year. Larry Scott says it's the PAC12 intention to have at lest 8 bowl tie-ins to better protect against the problem that's occuring this year with more bowl eligible teams than tie-in'd bowls available. Now that 12 teams are in the conf, etc.....

Here's an info page on potential Christmas Bowl Home Page

From what I've read, most of the groundwork for this bowl has already been completed to get it NCAA certified, but tie-ins have to exist first, and final approval by April of next year. The projected tie-ins are PAC vs. MWC or BYU. This would most likely be the bottom bowl in the order and replace the New Mexico Bowl which the PAC is not renewing it's tie-in after this year. Played around Dec 15th in LA.

BYU is probably very interested as their tie-in with the Kraft Fight Hunger is done this year.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Miller bowl projections after this weeks action.

*With Washington State’s victory over Utah, the Pac-12 bowl picture is coming into focus. The Cougars become the ninth Pac-12 team to become bowl eligible, and in the process assured that Utah will miss the postseason for the second straight year. USC’s victory over Colorado also knocked the Buffs out of postseason contention. Cal, which wrapped up the season with its loss to Stanford, was out of the picture a while ago. The next week will go a long way toward determining where those teams go. We can be pretty confident Washington, which rushed for 530 yards as it scorched Oregon State 69-27, will have a nicer bowl game than the Beavers. With only seven contracted bowl games, two teams will have to look for games where conferences didn’t meet their bowl obligations. They are out there. And Pac-12 teams (and their traveling fans) would be awfully inviting.

We have Stanford beating Arizona State in the Pac-12 championship game, though we are given a long pause by the fact that Arizona State will host the Pac-12 title game if it beats Arizona on Saturday.

We continue to believe all nine will get bowl berths, even with two more teams than the Pac-12 has bowl contracts.

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio (Jan. 1, 2014): Stanford vs. Big Ten
Valero Alamo Bowl (Dec. 30): Oregon vs. Big 12
National University Holiday Bowl (Dec. 30): Arizona State vs. Big 12
Hyundai Sun Bowl (Dec. 31): UCLA vs. ACC
Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 21): USC vs. MWC
Fight Hunger Bowl (Dec. 27): Washington vs. BYU
Gildan New Mexico Bowl (Dec. 21): Washington State vs. MWC
Heart of Dallas Bowl (Jan. 1, 2014): Arizona vs. Conference USA
Little Caesars (Dec. 26): Oregon State vs. American

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ted Miller bowl projections after this weeks action.

*With Washington State’s victory over Utah, the Pac-12 bowl picture is coming into focus. The Cougars become the ninth Pac-12 team to become bowl eligible, and in the process assured that Utah will miss the postseason for the second straight year. USC’s victory over Colorado also knocked the Buffs out of postseason contention. Cal, which wrapped up the season with its loss to Stanford, was out of the picture a while ago. The next week will go a long way toward determining where those teams go. We can be pretty confident Washington, which rushed for 530 yards as it scorched Oregon State 69-27, will have a nicer bowl game than the Beavers. With only seven contracted bowl games, two teams will have to look for games where conferences didn’t meet their bowl obligations. They are out there. And Pac-12 teams (and their traveling fans) would be awfully inviting.

We have Stanford beating Arizona State in the Pac-12 championship game, though we are given a long pause by the fact that Arizona State will host the Pac-12 title game if it beats Arizona on Saturday.

We continue to believe all nine will get bowl berths, even with two more teams than the Pac-12 has bowl contracts.

Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio (Jan. 1, 2014): Stanford vs. Big Ten
Valero Alamo Bowl (Dec. 30): Oregon vs. Big 12
National University Holiday Bowl (Dec. 30): Arizona State vs. Big 12
Hyundai Sun Bowl (Dec. 31): UCLA vs. ACC
Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 21): USC vs. MWC
Fight Hunger Bowl (Dec. 27): Washington vs. BYU
Gildan New Mexico Bowl (Dec. 21): Washington State vs. MWC
Heart of Dallas Bowl (Jan. 1, 2014): Arizona vs. Conference USA
Little Caesars (Dec. 26): Oregon State vs. American

So I wonder if the Devils beat Stanford for the title, then Stanford to the Alamo, and Oregon to the holiday bowl since ASU would get the Rose???

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like shit. And it isnt a hangover.

Major chest cold or some shit. Cant even chew a copenhagen. Great time to quit I suppose.

In great spirits though. I love the PAC12 this year. What deep assed conference we have here.

RIVALRY WEEKEND! GO DUCKS! Oregon State is getting a good old fashioned butt kickin this Friday.

Sounds like we are doing a left over Thanksgiving Pot Luck for the tailgater. Going to drink plenty, eat like a king, be loud and participate in a whole lotta carryin on.

Wallace.
You still going to the Civil War? Got my number still? You have to come by and at least have a beer man.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mora needs to find a way to win as the underdog. This year, his team won every game they were favored in and lost all three games they were the underdogs.

College coaches too have learning curves and I think he's in the middle of his. If he continues to learn, he'll be around awhile, if not he'll find the door sooner than later like all the others, not doubt!

Please Vegas, list the Trojans as favorites!! :hope:

Status
Not open for further replies.