• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TF12 ,you left out the part where his posts are full of" facts and assumptions". 10% fact and 90% assumption is about right.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I read and heard, they were pretty much dead even all through spring ball and training camp. They decided to go with the more experienced guy. Especially with 'Bama, Stanford and Utah in the first 4 games.

Unfortunately, there's no way to predict how a player will react to playing in actual games vs. practice.

To be fair to Browne, he didn't play bad, but there are plays that Darnold makes that Browne just physically can't because he doesn't have Darnold's speed or athleticism. Imo, the difference shows up most in USC's improvement on 3rd down conversions with Darnold at qb. Drives that were ending in punts with Browne are now ending with points and giving the defense a chance to rest.
I read the same thing. I remember reading somewhere the competition was so close.The only thing that helped Browne slightly edge out Darnold. Was the possibility Browne may transfer if not starting.I agree there was no real way of knowing. And the team does look a lot different with Darnolds athleticism.Definitely noticeable on 3rd. Where Darnold has converted a lot of third downs with his mobility. Either running for a first or converting while in motion. What are your thoughts on Smith and Gustin? I like what they have both done in the LB corps.Gustin reminds me a little bit of Mathews III in a lot of ways

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't, it's true blue dammit!

TRUE BLUE!!! :gaah:
I miss the powder blue unis the Bruins used to wear.

CMzlFI8WsAAIsZ6.jpg

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the one you responded to, "genious."
genious is internet slang not sure if it was intended that way tho
2016 Mid-season Pac-12 awards and All-Pac-Teams: Washington cleans up
2016 Mid-season PAC-12 awards and All-PAC-Teams

Pac-12 Player of the Year - Jake Browning So. QB Washington

Browning has had a major star turn so far in 2016 and it’s a big part of why the Huskies are now a legit Playoff contender and the clear Pac-12 favorite. He is on pace for more than 50 touchdowns this season.

Defensive Player of the Year - Azeem Victor Jr. LB Washington

Victor has nearly 50 tackles thus far this season, but stats don’t really gauge the impact of the conference’s best intimidator and the leader of the conference’s best defense.

Coach of the Year - Chris Petersen Washington

Mike MacIntyre would be a fine choice as well, but I will give Petersen the edge because he is taking him to the highest level of college football right now.

Biggest surprise - Colorado

I thought there was a very good chance the Buffs would turn the corner and get to a bowl this year, but I didn’t think they could win five out of their first seven, especially without Sefo Liufau in some of them. Well done Coach MacIntyre.

Biggest disappointment - Oregon

Tough call between Oregon and Stanford here, but I will go with the Ducks because of how spectacularly bad they have been. The Ducks are injured, winless in the Pac-12 and fresh off back-to-back blowouts at the hands of Washington and Washington State. Dark days in Eugene indeed.

Special Teams Player of the Year - Mitch Wishnowsky So. P Utah

Tom Hackett’s heir apparent has been killing it. He leads the nation is average yards per-punt and has twice been named the Ray Guy Punter of the Week.

Freshman of the Year - Steven Montez QB Colorado

He stepped in when Sefo Liufau went down and led the Buffs to huge wins at Oregon (passing for 300 plus with 3 TDs while rushing for 130 plus and a TD) and at home in a blowout over Oregon State. He also almost led the Buffs over USC on the road.

Newcomer of the Year - Davis Webb Sr. QB Cal

Webb has stepped in for Jared Goff and kept the Bears in about the same place they were last year with the top pick of the 2016 NFL Draft.

Most-Improved Player - Jake Browning So. QB Washington

Browning went from solid, young quarterback to leading Heisman candidate.

First Team

Offense

QB Jake Browning So. Washington - 26 touchdowns in six games while leading Washington to a 6-0 ranking as the leader of the team, Petersen may have found his Kellen Moore and more.

RB Royce Freeman Jr. Oregon - He has been overshadowed by Oregon’s overall struggles and missed time to injury, but he has 513 yards and seven touchdowns on just 67 carries.

RB Christian McCaffrey Jr. Stanford - The other Pac-12 star running back who has been overshadowed by his team’s struggles and slowed by injuries. Still, he has nearly 700 yards combined rushing/receiving with every team gunning on him and four scores.

WR Chad Hansen Jr. Cal - Exploded as the conference’s best receiver. Hansen already has 59 receptions for 770 yards and eight touchdowns.

WR John Ross Jr. Washington - Ross’ return from injuries which made him miss all of 2015 has been huge for the Huskies. He already has nearly 400 yards receiving and nine receiving scores and another rushing.

TE Nate Iese Sr. UCLA - The senior has taken a major step forward. He already has 15 receptions for 225 yards and two scores.

OL Coleman Shelton Jr. Washington - The man in the center of Washington’s revolutionized offensive line which is fresh off bulldozing Stanford and Oregon.

OL Johnny Caspers Sr. Stanford - Turning into the next great Cardinal guard.

OL Trey Adams So. Washington - The 6’8 left tackle is turning into a monster and has the look of a future All-American and first round pick.

OL Isaac Asiata Sr. Utah - Has stepped up with J.J. Dielman going down.

OL Zach Banner Sr. USC - Hasn’t had his best season, but is still a first teamer in a bad start for offensive linemen in the Pac-12.

Defense

DL Solomon Thomas Jr. Stanford - He has emerged as Stanford’s next great defensive player up front. He leads the team in tackles and has six for-loss with four sacks and a touchdown.

DL Greg Gaines So. Washington - The Huskies are beyond stacked on the defensive line and Gaines has performed the most. He has 7.5 tackles for-loss and 3.5 sacks.

DL Hercules Mata’afa So. Washington State - One of the best defenders in the nation you haven’t heard of. He has more than 20 tackles, 9.5 tackles for-loss, 3 sacks and a safety.

DL Elijah Qualls Jr. Washington - He has great stats (19 tackles, four for-loss, two sacks), but they still don’t tell the story of how big of an impact he has had holding the point of attack and penetrating the backfield.

LB Azeem Victor Jr. Washington - The backbone of the conference’s best defense.

LB Jayon Brown Sr. UCLA - Leads the conference with tackles at 63 and is the leader of a very, very good UCLA defense.

LB Cameron Smith So. USC - The budding star already has 50 tackles this season.

DB Sidney Jones Jr. Washington - He doesn’t have huge stats, but that is because no one is throwing against him.

DB Kevin King Sr. Washington - Same thing with King as Jones. One of the best Pac-12 corner combos in the long, long time.

DB Adoree’ Jackson Jr. USC - Having his best coverage season this year. Already has six pass break ups.

DB Marcus Williams Jr. Utah - Having another All-American level season and already has three interceptions.

Special Teams

K Zane Gonzalez Sr. Arizona State - Leads the conference in field goal percentage while kicking a lot of them.

P Mitch Wishnowsky So. Utah - Leads the nation in yardage per-punt.

R Adoree’ Jackson Jr. USC - Has already taken a punt and kick back and leads the conference in kick return yardage.

Second Team

Offense

QB Luke Falk Jr. Washington State

RB Phillip Lindsay Jr. Colorado

RB Myles Gaskin So. Washington

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster Jr. USC

WR Shay Fields Jr. Colorado

TE Tyler Petite So. USC

OL Kaleb McGary So. Washington

OL Jake Eldrenkamp Sr. Washington

OL Jacob Alsadek Jr. ARizona

OL Alex Kelley Sr. Colorado

OL Riley Sorenson Sr. Washington State

Defense

DL Lowell Lotulelei Jr. Utah

DL Takkarist McKinley Sr. UCLA

DL Jimmie Gilbert Sr. Colorado

DL Pasoni Tasini Sr. Utah

LB Joe Mathis Sr. Washington

LB Koron Crump Jr. Arizona State

LB Kenny Young Jr. UCLA

DB Shalom Luani Sr. Washington State

DB Budda Baker Jr. Washington

DB Ahkello Witherspoon Sr. Colorado

DB Randall Goforth Sr. UCLA

Special Teams

K Matt Anderson Jr. Cal

P Matt Haack Sr. Arizona State

R Victor Bolden Sr. Oregon State
Its good to see Colorado playing quality football again. They gave Michigan a run for their money. If not for a second half collapse,the injury to Liufau and some bad special teams play and turnovers. They may have pulled the upset. Its good for PAC football to see them finally turn that corner.

I also like seeing Cameron smith on that list. He's been a little bit of an unsung cog in the USC defense. Along with Gustin he's been solid in attacking the line,stopping the run and containing the corner. Getting to the QB or pressure on the QB. And putting up a very productive season

Adoree and Marshalll have been a great tandem in the secondary. I know Jackson gets a lot of the attention. Sometimes we forget Marshall is on the other side. And aside from a few lapses. Has been a solid compliment to Adoree

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll probably win the south by default
Im not so sure. I believe Utah has the tie breaker in the event of a 3 way tie.As per the PAC tie breaker format. Due to the best over all record.Which is a real possibility.And there is still a lot of football to be played. The South is still wide open. But I have the Utes in the driver seat as of this moment

Long Duk Dong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your thoughts on the UCLA/Utah game? Are there any updates on Rosen?
A lot depends on whether or not Rosen will be playing. Utah is winning but the injuries are piling up, and the tougher part of their schedule is now starting. UCLA has looked very good at times and really bad other times. Who knows which team will show up this week. I see the game as a toss up. Utah needs this one badly to stay in contention for the Pac south title.

Long Duk Dong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not so sure. I believe Utah has the tie breaker in the event of a 3 way tie.As per the PAC tie breaker format. Due to the best over all record.Which is a real possibility.And there is still a lot of football to be played. The South is still wide open. But I have the Utes in the driver seat as of this moment
It could easily come down to the last game in Boulder. The division is still completely up for grabs. Hopefully Utah can go into the Colorado game with no more than 2 losses.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could easily come down to the last game in Boulder. The division is still completely up for grabs. Hopefully Utah can go into the Colorado game with no more than 2 losses.
That late win against SC may be bigger than we think come the final week. Not just because Utah holds the tie breaker on USC. But with USC's win over the Buffs. Its still quite possible for the Utes to lose that game. And win the South due to the three way tie breaker system. The have the better OOC record of the 3. All three teams have difficult games left on the schedule. The Utes do have leverage right now. As much as I don't want to say it. I think they have the best odds to win the south

Long Duk Dong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That late win against SC may be bigger than we think come the final week. Not just because Utah holds the tie breaker on USC. But with USC's win over the Buffs. Its still quite possible for the Utes to lose that game. And win the South due to the three way tie breaker system. The have the better OOC record of the 3. All three teams have difficult games left on the schedule. The Utes do have leverage right now. As much as I don't want to say it. I think they have the best odds to win the south
We caught USC at a good time. They're a different team now and would be much tougher to beat. Right now I see the division as a 4 team race, and it's very tough to predict because most of the teams in the division are bi-polar. There's really no way to predict any game this year with most of the south teams. The winner could easily have 3 conference losses.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We caught USC at a good time. They're a different team now and would be much tougher to beat. Right now I see the division as a 4 team race, and it's very tough to predict because most of the teams in the division are bi-polar. There's really no way to predict any game this year with most of the south teams. The winner could easily have 3 conference losses.
Bi Polar is a great comparison for the South in general the past few years. Right time or not the Utes played a hell of a game. They never quit and earned a big win. That may hold high implications on the south. I have to give the utes respect. Congrats on the win and good luck. We're in for another chaotic finish in the south :suds:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW how is Larsson looking in Edmonton. I know some people claimed that was a one sided trade. But Larsson is an elite defenseman. He should be a great addition to your oilers

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SC has to hope that Utah trips up two times before the season ends while SC wins out the rest of this season.
There are a few teams that can benefit from a trip up or two, the Bruins included.

I don't think it's a long shot either because of the way the rest of the schedule lays out for the South leaders. The only aspect of it being a long shot is the fact that UCLA must win out for any hope already hanging saddled with 3 conference losses.