• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're the one that is coming across as a whiny bitch. You can't/couldn't find anything anywhere about his relatives getting a job at USC. I just called you a whiny bitch, so now let's just move on.
And I did not say his relative got a job. So you seem like the idiot here. Calling out people for starting rumors when the very first discussion about it was saying they hear it, and found nothing to back it up and do not get into those things without mainstream media.

So why are you going on and on and on about it then? :L

There really are some salty USC fans on this site tonight. Not much to do back home on a Saturday night but make one stupid claim after another to try and rile up UW fans?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what you said...

And I said he clearly has all sorts of stuff out there to read where he seriously pushes kids not to commit until they speak to as many other teams/coaches/advisers as they wish. THAT is a fact, and it CLEARLY flies in the face of your assumptions.

Care to try again? Or tired of being shown up yet?

You haven't shown up anything. All you've done is make a bad attempt at denying that what Peterson does is hypocritical. These kids dont sign till this next week. They shouldbe able to change their minds anytime before they sign . Not only before they commit to UW. And he doesnt want them talking or taking visits after they commit. BUt he will go talk to other schools commited kids.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I did not say his relative got a job. So you seem like the idiot here. Calling out people for starting rumors when the very first discussion about it was saying they hear it, and found nothing to back it up and do not get into those things without mainstream media.

So why are you going on and on and on about it then? :L

There really are some salty USC fans on this site tonight. Not much to do back home on a Saturday night but make one stupid claim after another to try and rile up UW fans?
Okay fair enough, let's move on. If you do find out that his relatives didn't or did get a job at USC, would you please come back onto Sportshoopla and tells us the facts?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5
That destroyed anything you had Jim and I'm entirely fine with just everyone else not a USC fan seeing it and understanding it. Kind of adds to the fun really.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5
That destroyed anything you had Jim and I'm entirely fine with just everyone else not a USC fan seeing it and understanding it. Kind of adds to the fun really.

Wiz, you can talk all you want about how ethical you think Peterson does his recruiting. You can try and make it sound like he's Santa Claus. He want’s kids to shop around all they want but if they commit to UW he wants them to shut down their recruiting. But he’s still out shopping. So if he gets some 3* RB to commit during the season who might be good and who he sold on playing time because in a year your starter will be leaving (just an example). And that kid shuts down his recruiting and Carr the 4-5 star RB USC has commited decides he wants to go to school out of state and while commited to USC talks to Peterson and flips to UW. Now that 3* RB realizes he’s been commited to UW but now things have changed. They got a sure fire top RB and he doesn’t think he will get playing time. Well most kids still have visits and offers to entertain in case situations change just for that reason , just like Carr is visiting UCLA this weekend. He’s commited to USC but there’s always a chance he could elsewhere. What if he does flip to UCLA? Shouldn’t any RB now commited to UCLA reassess his situation? And if he still has offers and visits he should be able to take them in case down the line things change on his end or if the team he commited to changes (gets another player, his position coach moves on to another school ). And unlike Peterson there are coaches that know they don’t own them , that they aren’t theirs yet because there’s a date when they sign and it hasn’t passed. USC has had some players all ready commited decide that because of how the season ended ( on an upswing) is now picking up better players and they never shutdown their talks with other teams so they have options. USC just got two highly rated DBs . Wouldn't it suck for a DB allready commited that Helton told him to shut down your recruitment three months ago? Now this kid sees USC get these two players and has little options. So, In reality what Peterson does is just self serving and wrong.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it hypocritical to ask for people to respect the same boundaries he does? He won't talk to a recruit at any school that asks for their players not to take visits after committing. Now we can talk all day about how silly it might be in this era to think just asking kids not to talk to people will actually work, but that's a different topic from actually being a hypocrite.

It's hypocritical because he accepts players that flip and he still talks to kids who commit "if that school asks that players no longer be contacted after a player commits." I haven't heard of any schools besides Washington that does that.

If he truly believes that kids shouldn't be contacted after they commit, then he shouldn't be contacting them whether the school makes that request or not.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hypocritical because he accepts players that flip and he still talks to kids who commit "if that school asks that players no longer be contacted after a player commits." I haven't heard of any schools besides Washington that does that.

If he truly believes that kids shouldn't be contacted after they commit, then he shouldn't be contacting them whether the school makes that request or not.

I think Notre dame has some of that. The old if you're looking were looking ,which is just a strong arm way of forcing a kid to not look at other options. We sometimes forget that for some kids this offer is one of only a few big time offers. Not all kids have a bunch of big time offers or options. So it's just wrong for a coach strong arm a kid and his family by telling them if you look around we might get someone else and then the kid is fucked.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just stupid. :L

From what I've read there are others who ask for their recruits to shut down visits and Petersen will not allow any of his staff to talk to kids committed to those institutions.

There is no hypocrisy in that at all.

Not even a 'tad'.

Actually, it is hypocritical, or at the very least, it shows that he really isn't all that committed to his "a deals, a deal" rule.

If your rule for your commits is that they should shut down their recruiting, then you shouldn't be talking to other kids who have already committed whether the school asks them to shut down their recruiting or not. After all " a deals, a deal." What it shows is that he selectively follows his own belief/rule.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Notre dame has some of that. The old if you're looking were looking ,which is just a strong arm way of forcing a kid to not look at other options. We sometimes forget that for some kids this offer is one of only a few big time offers. Not all kids have a bunch of big time offers or options. So it's just wrong for a coach strong arm a kid and his family by telling them if you look around we might get someone else and then the kid is fucked.

Agree. I would also add that these are kids trying to make the biggest decision of their lives and trying to do so with pressure from all over the place. They have the schools recruiting them pressuring them, they have friends and family pressuring them and nowadays, they have fans of those schools pressuring them via social media.

Sometimes these kids commit too early, realize their mistake and try to correct it, or they get a little jealous of all of the attention being given guys who haven't committed. Sometimes, an offer from a school they really wanted to play for comes in late, etc., etc.

Point is, these are kids and as kids they are often inconsistent and unpredictable. That's why I never get too excited about recruits, especially the one's that commit early in the process. There are de-commits every single year. I don't get excited about USC's recruiting classes until they have all signed on the dotted line. There are way too many things that can change from the time the kid commits until national signing day.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I would also add that these are kids trying to make the biggest decision of their lives and trying to do so with pressure from all over the place. They have the schools recruiting them pressuring them, they have friends and family pressuring them and nowadays, they have fans of those schools pressuring them via social media.

Sometimes these kids commit too early, realize their mistake and try to correct it, or they get a little jealous of all of the attention being given guys who haven't committed. Sometimes, an offer from a school they really wanted to play for comes in late, etc., etc.

Point is, these are kids and as kids they are often inconsistent and unpredictable. That's why I never get too excited about recruits, especially the one's that commit early in the process. There are de-commits every single year. I don't get excited about USC's recruiting classes until they have all signed on the dotted line. There are way too many things that can change from the time the kid commits until national signing day.

There's a reason they have a LOI day and you can't sign till then. You should have till then to make that decision. If you pick your school early and are happy then thats great, nothing wrong with that. But if you blow up in camps in your senior year then you should be able to see whats out there. This is the only time you have the power. Once you sign you're there. If the coach leaves the next year you can't go.
Now of course as any fan I hope kids who commited stay commited and get bummed thinking we had that position taken care of but it would be hypocritical of me to welcome this player who flipped from UW and put down a player who decides to leave.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L Yes it is close. You are starting rumors, without showing any facts.

To be fair, Wiz didn't start any rumor. He responded to me saying that there was a rumor about it up there and that he tried to find a credible source reporting the same and couldn't.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it is hypocritical, or at the very least, it shows that he really isn't all that committed to his "a deals, a deal" rule.

If your rule for your commits is that they should shut down their recruiting, then you shouldn't be talking to other kids who have already committed whether the school asks them to shut down their recruiting or not. After all " a deals, a deal." What it shows is that he selectively follows his own belief/rule.

A deal is a deal for his recruits , while he goes on the hunt for others commits. Lots of honor there.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing how it's only a select few USC fans banging this drum. Not one person who is a fan of any other team is outraged over this perceived hypocrisy. Not one fan coming to your defense. Not one.

It isn't hypocrisy by any measure of that word. Period. And ONLY those trying to make this about defense of a recent flip are making this into something.

It was clearly debunked and not ONE word uttered here has changed that.

Sorry, but you all seem like bitter biased fans looking to create drama. I'd love to hear oly, or vita, or frankly anyone not from USC bring up the same assertions. They won't because this is just an obvious bias.

There is lots of room to ask whether or not his recruiting rules are viable at the level he wants to take this program. It's fair game to question merits of any part of it. However it is entirely baseless to bring up hypocrisy when you look at the details of what he actually says and does with his recruits. Period.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firstly, it's Petersen, not Peterson. Secondly, Jesus fucking christ...

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me where Petersen has ripped a coach from another team for talking to his commits or flipping them. Show us where he has ripped any kid for flipping. Show us where he is unfair to any commit. If those cases exist then they are fair game for criticism. I'm unaware of them existing.

It never ceases to amaze me the just flat out stupid shit people make into major uproars over on this site.
:lol:

Must be the off season.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had there been anything to that rumor of his brother, or cousin (heard both which added to the unlikelihood of it) being offered a job I would understand people hating on it, but it's just business as usual and I would say as much. That shit happens all the time in the SEC (queue angry indignant response by 4D20 here in 3...2...1...).

Porter's dad works for the team, his coach in high school was a former UW player in his first stint as a HC, and Romar ONLY still has a job because he is this kids Godfather (true story). Any shots at any of that are fair game. BUT again, his dad was at Romar's wedding and they have been friends for a long time. He would have had a job at that school anyway and the kid going to play for his Godfather was likely still a thing without his dad getting it. It looks bad and I would never defend it, but there is more to that story than you cited.

Explain the hypocrisy.

There are quite a few of you that love to toss that around that I'm convinced have no idea of the meaning behind it. And I mean that in all seriousness.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. I think there is one hell of a difference between having a friend in a wedding and hiring when he isn't qualified to be anything that a bra washer for women's basketball. The Brandon Roy angle would be shaddy but not really since Porter wouldn't be playing for Roy had the shit at Garfield not gone down plus not everyone on Roy's team is heading to UW, I believe a couple are going Zona and Duke.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing how it's only a select few USC fans banging this drum. Not one person who is a fan of any other team is outraged over this perceived hypocrisy. Not one fan coming to your defense. Not one.

Actually, Wazzou has been in on it as well. Exactly how many have come to Washington's defense?