• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting that Helfrich is the most hot seated of the hot seated coaches. Saying it's very likely he's gone, although it raises a lot of questions due to the complexity of the Oregon program when it comes to the established coaching tree.
Oregon firing a HC like this would be new ground for them. Many of that coaching staff have been there a long time.
I can't see anyone on the current roster besides Hoke that is really HC capable and I don't think he has the cred after Mich to take the reigns.

And if not, then we're talking blowing up the coaching tree with an entirely new HC and his own staff.

So the question is: Does Phil Knight and his advisors make the decision to give Helfrich some time to turn this around or does he decide to totally clean house.

The fans seem to think the Kelly magic can be recreated, but I don't think it can. USC is done with sanctions and Petersen is now rolling at UW. The landscape is way different now.

They could bring in a coach to run a Thug U. again to cut corners, but how long would that last before another investigation by the NCAA.

Oregon is in a very complicated spot right now. There is no easy fix.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KEZI.com | Another Duck Football Player In Trouble
Another Duck Football Player In Trouble

EUGENE, Ore. - Another University of Oregon football player is under investigation after being accused of breaking a man's arm.

The Oregonian reports that star wide receiver Darren Carrington II shoved a man on October 30.

The alleged victim told the newspaper that Carrington mistook him for another man then pushed him off a curb.

The alleged incident was reported to the Eugene Police Department.

Coach Mark Helfrich said they are aware of the alleged incident and are handling the discipline internally.

Oregon Ducks receiver Darren Carrington accused of pushing, injuring man; UO 'aware' of incident
Oregon Ducks receiver Darren Carrington accused of pushing, injuring man; UO 'aware' of incident

Star player gets in trouble and coach says "we are handling the discipline internally". Thats SEC talk for he wont miss a game.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d36c364315.jpg

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question. Is the PAC down this year? I said at the beginning that i thought overall to me it looked like more teams are better but the top teams arnt as good. Wiz said that because so many teams were breaking in new QBs he thought as whole the conference will be down. He's right that usually the PAC has a bunch of seasoned QBs and this year it's not the case. All season fans of other conferences have been putting the PAC down but now near the end of the season half the conference is ranked. The PAC has more ranked teams than the SEC . As bad as that first game was for USC , it looks like thats Alabamas highest win over a ranked opponent. USC would be the second highest ranked SEC team and it's the fourth in the PAC.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall the perception is the conference is down. It's not just record against ourselves people look at. What signature wins does any team in the Pac have against other P5 teams? That's what people look at. And we really don't have any. No one has gone out and done it against another team out of our league.

Six ranked teams is good. Half the conference is competent. We have been used to seeing both Stanford and Oregon ranked in the top 10 and a few others in the teens. Now we have UW and Colorado in the top 10 and several others in the mid teens. That is similar, but it's the lack of OOC wins that has everyone putting the conference down.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put it another way, half your teams are ranked because those are the half beating up on the other half. That doesn't tell you how good they are against any other conferences.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting that Helfrich is the most hot seated of the hot seated coaches. Saying it's very likely he's gone, although it raises a lot of questions due to the complexity of the Oregon program when it comes to the established coaching tree.
Oregon firing a HC like this would be new ground for them. Many of that coaching staff have been there a long time.
I can't see anyone on the current roster besides Hoke that is really HC capable and I don't think he has the cred after Mich to take the reigns.

And if not, then we're talking blowing up the coaching tree with an entirely new HC and his own staff.

So the question is: Does Phil Knight and his advisors make the decision to give Helfrich some time to turn this around or does he decide to totally clean house.

The fans seem to think the Kelly magic can be recreated, but I don't think it can. USC is done with sanctions and Petersen is now rolling at UW. The landscape is way different now.

They could bring in a coach to run a Thug U. again to cut corners, but how long would that last before another investigation by the NCAA.

Honestly, I'm not certain he should be on the hot seat. To me, it depends on why they are having the season they are having. Have there been a lot of injuries? Is this a very young team going through growing pains?

I think Oly or Lonestar Duck posted that their recruiting classes have really changed. Are they a more veteran team that hasn't been developed properly and therefore just suck?

He had them in the NC game in 2014 and they went 9-4 last year, which is respectable.

Also to be taken into consideration is, who will be available? Imo, unless there are major off the field issues going on, you don't fire a coach just to get rid of him.

I'd say give him one more year and if there is no improvement...can him.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I'm not certain he should be on the hot seat. To me, it depends on why they are having the season they are having. Have there been a lot of injuries? Is this a very young team going through growing pains?

I think Oly or Lonestar Duck posted that their recruiting classes have really changed. Are they a more veteran team that hasn't been developed properly and therefore just suck?

He had them in the NC game in 2014 and they went 9-4 last year, which is respectable.

Also to be taken into consideration is, who will be available? Imo, unless there are major off the field issues going on, you don't fire a coach just to get rid of him.

It really boils down to who you blame for their defensive problems. Who made the call to bring in Hoke?

They haven't had a defense since Aliotti retired. They have now had two failed coordinators running it. Sure, it's too early to entirely write off Hoke, but is it? They aren't showing signs of improving. You expect growth. They aren't buying in and they aren't getting it done.

The offense hasn't been that bad considering their defense gives them ZERO support and they are breaking in a young QB that only started getting reps like 5 games into the season.

If their AD feels they have a real game plan for getting that defense back up to at least average then Helfrich stays. If not I really don't know if you can keep him.

Not really sure either way what they are going to do, but it should be an interesting off season for that program.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they're gonna move on, they need to start over. Continuing to try to recreate past success from within never seems to work, USC is a good recent example.

If it's time to move on, and the rumors of uncle Phil being willing to drop ridiculous money on a coach are real, buy the best coach you can and let him build his own thing.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that's their best move, especially if they take my advise about moving on completely. No one wants to go through rebuilding, if you think he might have something there and just needs one more year to show it, that's definitely the best way to go.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really boils down to who you blame for their defensive problems. Who made the call to bring in Hoke?

They haven't had a defense since Aliotti retired. They have now had two failed coordinators running it. Sure, it's too early to entirely write off Hoke, but is it? They aren't showing signs of improving. You expect growth. They aren't buying in and they aren't getting it done.

The offense hasn't been that bad considering their defense gives them ZERO support and they are breaking in a young QB that only started getting reps like 5 games into the season.

If their AD feels they have a real game plan for getting that defense back up to at least average then Helfrich stays. If not I really don't know if you can keep him.

Not really sure either way what they are going to do, but it should be an interesting off season for that program.

True. Oregon hasn't exactly been known for defense and this year has been horrific, even by Oregon defensive standards. Under Kelly, they were at least serviceable on defense.

If I'm Helfrich, I'm sitting down with Hoke (soon) and having him to lay out his plan to improve. If I like it, he stays and I try to sell the AD on it. If I don't, then he gone and I hope that it appeases the AD and fanbase enough to buy me another season.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they're gonna move on, they need to start over. Continuing to try to recreate past success from within never seems to work, USC is a good recent example.

If it's time to move on, and the rumors of uncle Phil being willing to drop ridiculous money on a coach are real, buy the best coach you can and let him build his own thing.

Heltons been there for seven seasons.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question. Is the PAC down this year? I said at the beginning that i thought overall to me it looked like more teams are better but the top teams arnt as good. Wiz said that because so many teams were breaking in new QBs he thought as whole the conference will be down. He's right that usually the PAC has a bunch of seasoned QBs and this year it's not the case. All season fans of other conferences have been putting the PAC down but now near the end of the season half the conference is ranked. The PAC has more ranked teams than the SEC . As bad as that first game was for USC , it looks like thats Alabamas highest win over a ranked opponent. USC would be the second highest ranked SEC team and it's the fourth in the PAC.
Its because people want what they know. they see WSU, Washington, Utah and Colorado on top and it makes them think the conference is down. it was the same when USC was winning the conference over and over because no 1 team contended yearly. but there was always at least 1 other team right there with them.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Oregon hasn't exactly been known for defense and this year has been horrific, even by Oregon defensive standards. Under Kelly, they were at least serviceable on defense.

If I'm Helfrich, I'm sitting down with Hoke (soon) and having him to lay out his plan to improve. If I like it, he stays and I try to sell the AD on it. If I don't, then he gone and I hope that it appeases the AD and fanbase enough to buy me another season.
He gave Pellum 2 seasons to ruin the defense why not give Hoke 2 to try and fix it?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.lol. How many coaches did you go through to get to Peterson?
yeah but drunk sark was the right coach at the right time for UW to do what he did and get them back to where he did. but I think it was obvious he topped out.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its because people want what they know. they see WSU, Washington, Utah and Colorado on top and it makes them think the conference is down. it was the same when USC was winning the conference over and over because no 1 team contended yearly. but there was always at least 1 other team right there with them.

I see what Wiz is saying about PAC teams just beating PAC teams. With WSUs early loss and USCs game against Alabama it's hard to lose the perception that its a down year. Washington did us no favors with that OCC schedule and UCLA could have helped by beating A&M early in the year.
But in the PACs defense the reason they do have those ranked teams is because they have played well not just won. Heck the SEC mostly only plays itself and then its three Chattanoogas and Towsends.