• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really like the fact both teams wear home unis - props to whomever allowed that.
I think that was an agreement that Rick Neuheisel proposed to Lane Kiffin.

I believe SC will draw a flag on the initial Kickoff since they are away, and UCLA will promptly decline the penalty.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no NCAA issues with Kelly returning to Oregon, or anywhere else. His show cause expired a couple of years ago. That won't directly factor in to his ability to return to college. Now the school might have some different views over those events and putting them under the microscope or might have other feelings about him, but the NCAA stuff itself wouldn't stop his return.

We know OD is over the top with his expectations and vision for what would happen if Kelly returned, but not everyone is that delusional. I'm sure most fans would rather Kelly come back than stay with the status quo right now, but a lot also believe if Knight is really going to throw money at going for a title there are far better options out there.

Either way, no one is stepping into that program and going 11-1 or better next season. Getting back to that level is going to take time and time is not on their side for a speedy turnaround given the recruiting cycle for this year is entering the final phase and the uncertainty around this program is no doubt hurting that effort. Even naming a top guy today would still not leave much time to turn kids as a whole lot of them have already committed and are largely off the market.

The Ducks aren't going to stay this bad for long, or at least shouldn't, but Kelly or not they have their hands full getting all of their ducks back in a row to get where they were in the recent past.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Kelly had a Head Coaching gig?

Would San Fan really pull the plug after just one bad season?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the cougs are going to get their starting nose tackle back.... For now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Kelly had a Head Coaching gig?

Would San Fan really pull the plug after just one bad season?
Have you seen the 9'ers in action this year? :L

I don't know if SF would actually fire him after one year, but if Kelly wanted out and just said fuck it he wants to go back to the college game I don't think they would stand in his way.

Personally I don't think Kelly is leaving the NFL after this season. He has said as much to those close to him and he's just stubborn enough to stick with his current gig until there's no hope in staying longer. He didn't strike me as the kind that really got off on the whole recruiting and kissing ass of the boosters and that's 60% of a HC at that level.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blount has turned it around too. He's doing well with the Patriots.

Hey if Chip gets pushed out in San Fran. Do you really think he's back in Oregon? I know coaches go to the pros and fail and go back but Ive never seen one go back to the team they left . There's also some NCAA stuff still lingering with him no? I also don't see Phil having to pay him 10 mil.
Petrino did albeit a long road back. Louisville and did well there. Flacons, Arkansas, Western Kentucky now Louisville.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no NCAA issues with Kelly returning to Oregon, or anywhere else. His show cause expired a couple of years ago. That won't directly factor in to his ability to return to college. Now the school might have some different views over those events and putting them under the microscope or might have other feelings about him, but the NCAA stuff itself wouldn't stop his return.

We know OD is over the top with his expectations and vision for what would happen if Kelly returned, but not everyone is that delusional. I'm sure most fans would rather Kelly come back than stay with the status quo right now, but a lot also believe if Knight is really going to throw money at going for a title there are far better options out there.

Either way, no one is stepping into that program and going 11-1 or better next season. Getting back to that level is going to take time and time is not on their side for a speedy turnaround given the recruiting cycle for this year is entering the final phase and the uncertainty around this program is no doubt hurting that effort. Even naming a top guy today would still not leave much time to turn kids as a whole lot of them have already committed and are largely off the market.

The Ducks aren't going to stay this bad for long, or at least shouldn't, but Kelly or not they have their hands full getting all of their ducks back in a row to get where they were in the recent past.
recruiting isn't exactly in dire straits. 15 commits and 26th by rivlas, 24th by scout, 21 by 247sports

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
recruiting isn't exactly in dire straits. 15 commits and 26th by rivlas, 24th by scout, 21 by 247sports
There's a difference between 24th and 10th. It only takes a few kids here and there. Oregon isn't landing the top NW recruits like they were. UW even took the top kid in oregon state depending on which service you look at.

But with a flip at HC sometime between the last game and LOI day all bets are off aren't they? We see that every time there is a HC change at the end of a college season.

If Helfrich stays and there are no sweeping changes maybe the ducks end in the upper teens? I would bet it won't be higher than 4th best in the Pac. Isn't that a drop off from where they were under Kelly?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

20s isnt NC type of talent. I know what you're going to say. We never had more than that before and were top 3 and went to two NCs. That was before. You're offense was something unknown and took teams by surprise. Coaches have adjusted and many teams run something similar so defenses know how to play it. If you keep not getting defensive talent it doesn't matter how good your offense. If you look at your recruiting class you have two 4 star defensive players and thats it. The rest are all offense. You have a couple of athletes listed but at Oregon they tend to end up on the offense.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the cougs are going to get their starting nose tackle back.... For now.

And that's how it should be. This whole thing has made Washington State and the PPD look like a bunch of inept jock haters.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between 24th and 10th. It only takes a few kids here and there. Oregon isn't landing the top NW recruits like they were. UW even took the top kid in oregon state depending on which service you look at.

But with a flip at HC sometime between the last game and LOI day all bets are off aren't they? We see that every time there is a HC change at the end of a college season.

If Helfrich stays and there are no sweeping changes maybe the ducks end in the upper teens? I would bet it won't be higher than 4th best in the Pac. Isn't that a drop off from where they were under Kelly?
they never really were. maybe getting top kid every few years but not every. even under Kelly and Bellotti

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bellotti
2005 28th 5th in pac
2006 52nd 9th in pac
2007 12th 2nd in pac
2008 19th 3rd in pac

Kelly
2009 34th 5th in the pac (first year only a little over a month from taking over for Bellotti)
2010 13th 4th in the pac
2011 9th 2nd in pac
2012 16th 4th in pac

Helf
2013 22nd 4th in pac
2014 23rd 5th in pac
2015 17 3rd in pac
2016 28th 4th in pac

currently
2017 26th 5th in pac

so kind of par for the course really.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if Helf stays it will be similar, but if he leaves it could look at lot more like that 09 class. Kids commit to a staff probably far more than they should, but they aren't typically committing to a school as much as the feel and comfort with that staff. Take the staff away and some flip. No chance they keep every kid and land those ones out there on the fence.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that was an agreement that Rick Neuheisel proposed to Lane Kiffin.

I believe SC will draw a flag on the initial Kickoff since they are away, and UCLA will promptly decline the penalty.

Actually, it started (at least in discussion) with Pete Carroll and Karl Dorrell in 2006. It started up again in 2008 with Carroll and Neuheisel.

"The rule was eventually challenged by former USC head coach Pete Carroll. Rather, Carroll spat in the face of the rule. It was in 2006 when the former Trojan head coach began to open the discussion about reviving the home jersey tradition with UCLA. Karl Dorrell, UCLA’s coach at the time, was intrigued by the idea, but it was Rick Neuheisel in 2008 who helped Carroll follow through on rekindling the tradition. With UCLA hosting the 2008 game in the Rose Bowl, Carroll brought his Trojans in their home uniforms knowing he would have to forfeit a timeout as a penalty according to NCAA rules. Neuheisel, in a show of good sportsmanship to help keep the tradition going, agreed to spend one timeout of his following the USC penalty. Thus, the tradition was revived."

Uniform(s) of the Week: USC and UCLA continue a colorful tradition - The Student Section

I'm just glad it's back.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it started (at least in discussion) with Pete Carroll and Karl Dorrell in 2006. It started up again in 2008 with Carroll and Neuheisel.

"The rule was eventually challenged by former USC head coach Pete Carroll. Rather, Carroll spat in the face of the rule. It was in 2006 when the former Trojan head coach began to open the discussion about reviving the home jersey tradition with UCLA. Karl Dorrell, UCLA’s coach at the time, was intrigued by the idea, but it was Rick Neuheisel in 2008 who helped Carroll follow through on rekindling the tradition. With UCLA hosting the 2008 game in the Rose Bowl, Carroll brought his Trojans in their home uniforms knowing he would have to forfeit a timeout as a penalty according to NCAA rules. Neuheisel, in a show of good sportsmanship to help keep the tradition going, agreed to spend one timeout of his following the USC penalty. Thus, the tradition was revived."

Uniform(s) of the Week: USC and UCLA continue a colorful tradition - The Student Section

I'm just glad it's back.
Oh well, if it were horseshoe pitching.....

horseshoes-tournament.jpg

I would have scored!

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KEZI.com | Another Duck Football Player In Trouble
Another Duck Football Player In Trouble

EUGENE, Ore. - Another University of Oregon football player is under investigation after being accused of breaking a man's arm.

The Oregonian reports that star wide receiver Darren Carrington II shoved a man on October 30.

The alleged victim told the newspaper that Carrington mistook him for another man then pushed him off a curb.

The alleged incident was reported to the Eugene Police Department.

Coach Mark Helfrich said they are aware of the alleged incident and are handling the discipline internally.

Oregon Ducks receiver Darren Carrington accused of pushing, injuring man; UO 'aware' of incident
Oregon Ducks receiver Darren Carrington accused of pushing, injuring man; UO 'aware' of incident