• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.5

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Utah will be playing on emotion at home. If they can keep it close at half time they will be pumped for the rest of the game and could pull it off. If it was on a neutral field the Huskys would roll IMO. After watching USC the past four games, they can beat the Huskys if they weren't playing so sloppy sometimes. So if they self destruct ( penalties/turnovers) in the first quarter look for the Huskys to get a lead and hold it. I think USC can score with Darnold running the offense it's a just a matter if USCs DBs can hold the Husky passing game in check. Right now I'd give USC a decent shot but the Huskys should be favored by about a TD.
Washington is going to pump Utah like a cheap $20 SLC crack h0 at a Motel 6.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rock Bottom: Oregon’s defense is now the worst in college football

Kenny JacobyOctober 27, 2016 at 12:35 pm

The same year Nintendo released the N64 and Mark Helfrich earned his bachelor’s degree, the Ducks had their worst-ever defensive season under head coach Mike Bellotti. They allowed an average of 32.4 points per game, which ranked 89th out of 111 teams.

That was the last year the Ducks lost five-straight games — until now.

Oregon’s current season is on a similar trajectory as that of the 1996 Ducks, who won their first three games then lost their next five. They won their final three games to finish 6-5, providing some hope that the 2016 Ducks can turn their season around after a current five-game losing streak.

But that’s wishful thinking. None of Oregon’s remaining five games — at home against Arizona State and Stanford and on the road at USC, Utah and Oregon State — feel as winnable as they once did. The only two teams Oregon has managed to beat this year, UC Davis and Virginia, it paid a combined $900,000 to play; in college football, those paid victories are known as “guarantees.”

Even 20 years ago in Bellotti’s worst defensive season, the Ducks didn’t struggle defensively as much as they do now. As of Friday’s 52-49 double-overtime loss to Cal, Oregon (2-5, 0-4) now owns the worst defense in college football. The Bears racked up 636 yards of offense, which means the Ducks now yield an average of 538.6 yards per game to opponents; that’s dead last out of 128 FBS Division I teams. Only three teams since 2003 have fared worse.

“We’ve got to keep working on the simple things,” defensive coordinator Brady Hoke said after the Cal loss. “Technique, tackling — all those things.”

Hoke was one of several Ducks who took positives away from the second half of Friday’s game, in which Oregon held Cal to 11 points to force overtime. But freshman linebacker Troy Dye was less optimistic.

“Any loss sucks; it doesn’t matter. Five straight is horrible. We need to come out better as a defense and play four straight quarters instead of two,” Dye said. “I love the way we finished, but at the end of the day, we can’t expect to win when we gave up 52 points. It’s just that simple.”

The Ducks are as close to rock bottom as they’ve been in decades. What’s more is that fans have been saying that for a month since Oregon fell to Colorado at home, and things have only gotten worse.

That loss on Sept. 24 also marked the last game Oregon forced a turnover other than on downs. A defense that led the FBS in turnover margin (+1.5) just two seasons ago now has gone 196 minutes and 15 seconds since without forcing a fumble or interception, not including overtime. The Ducks have gained only six turnovers all season; only six other teams have gained fewer.

Defensive backs coach John Neal pointed to a lack of playmakers on the defense to explain the turnover drought, which has perplexed him as much as anyone else.

“I have thought about it, and if I have an answer, it’s that playmakers make plays,” Neal said. “Playmakers on defense are guys who strip balls, who see things. You know, why does Jairus Byrd get 17 interceptions here in his career and becomes an all-pro in the NFL? Because he’s an all-pro-type guy.”

“Don’t think that we haven’t been thinking about it. We try to work on it all the time. We spent two weeks doing strip drills and things like that, and we’re still going to keep doing it.”

Neal has coached defensive secondaries for 34 years, including the last 13 seasons at Oregon. He’s developed seven draft picks over the past eight seasons, including Byrd, who led the NFL with nine interceptions as a rookie in 2009. He knows playmakers, and right now Oregon doesn’t have them.

Head coach Mark Helfrich said applying more pressure on the quarterback will help induce turnovers. Oregon has forced just 10 quarterback hurries on the season, and no single player has accounted for more than two. It could also help explain why opposing quarterbacks have a 142.48 passing efficiency against the Ducks.

Hoke said after the Cal loss that he wanted to get more pressure on quarterback Davis Webb. His goal was to take the inside lanes away and force Webb to bounce to the outside but on several plays Webb eluded the pressure.

“We had a couple opportunities that we let him out of the pocket,” Hoke said. “We can’t do that when we’ve got him lined up.”

The Ducks have surrendered the most touchdowns of any team in the country (41) and the third-most points per game (43.3), largely because opposing offenses have had nearly no trouble scoring against them from inside the red zone. Opponents have come away with points on 37 of 41 trips inside the Ducks’ 20-yard line; Cal scored touchdowns all seven times it got to the red zone on Friday.

Coaches and players generally felt after the Cal loss that the team’s second-half effort was a step in the right direction, but it’s difficult to evaluate the progress of the defense when it has failed in so many areas.

Oregon this season has allowed opposing teams to convert on 48 percent of third-down and 53.8 percent of fourth-down opportunities. The Ducks have also conceded 212 first downs, the most in the country.

Given the huge number of snaps his defensive players were on the field, Neal said it was “remarkable” they improved as the game went on. They defended more than 60 plays in the first half alone, not counting special teams. Cornerback Tyree Robinson was on the field for 115 snaps over the course of the game.

“I knew it was over 100, but I didn’t know it was 115,” Robinson said, laughing. “We know it’s always going to be over 100 because we play the most; we’re going to be on the field the longest. Like I said, we’re doing the most.”

Neal felt encouraged by several of his players “because they don’t quit and they play at a high level,” citing Robinson and fellow defensive backs Brenden Schooler, Khalil Oliver and Ugo Amadi as the four standouts against Cal. Each of them wore GPS systems during the game, and Neal said those players’ readings were “off the charts.”

In all team sports, however, players’ individual efforts are only as good as the team’s results, and the Ducks have not gotten the results they desired.

Bellotti’s Ducks missed a bowl game in 1996, but went on to improve their record by one game in each of the next five seasons, leading up to an 11-1 season in 2001, capped by a Fiesta Bowl victory. The Ducks likely won’t make a bowl game this season, but when you’re at the bottom, the only direction you can go is up.

Crazy how far they have fallen. They couldn't stop Cal? Teams are licking their chops to face that defense.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope Hiliniski gets some PT, preferably the entire second half. You're run game should get a big boost by Barber being out (even though I think Leach should give the finger to the school and play him)

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope Hiliniski gets some PT, preferably the entire second half. You're run game should get a big boost by Barber being out (even though I think Leach should give the finger to the school and play him)
If the guy was found innocent why is he banned from playing?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The same year Nintendo released the N64 and Mark Helfrich earned his bachelor’s degree, the Ducks had their worst-ever defensive season under head coach Mike Bellotti. They allowed an average of 32.4 points per game, which ranked 89th out of 111 teams.

Oregon’s current season is on a similar trajectory as that of the 1996 Ducks, who won their first three games then lost their next five. They won their final three games to finish 6-5, providing some hope that the 2016 Ducks can turn their season around after a current five-game losing streak.

But that’s wishful thinking. None of Oregon’s remaining five games — at home against Arizona State and Stanford and on the road at USC, Utah and Oregon State — feel as winnable as they once did. The only two teams Oregon has managed to beat this year, UC Davis and Virginia, it paid a combined $900,000 to play; in college football, those paid victories are known as “guarantees.”

Even 20 years ago in Bellotti’s worst defensive season, the Ducks didn’t struggle defensively as much as they do now. As of Friday’s 52-49 double-overtime loss to Cal, Oregon (2-5, 0-4) now owns the worst defense in college football. The Bears racked up 636 yards of offense, which means the Ducks now yield an average of 538.6 yards per game to opponents; that’s dead last out of 128 FBS Division I teams. Only three teams since 2003 have fared worse.

“We’ve got to keep working on the simple things,” defensive coordinator Brady Hoke said after the Cal loss. “Technique, tackling — all those things.”

Hoke was one of several Ducks who took positives away from the second half of Friday’s game, in which Oregon held Cal to 11 points to force overtime. But freshman linebacker Troy Dye was less optimistic.

“Any loss sucks; it doesn’t matter. Five straight is horrible. We need to come out better as a defense and play four straight quarters instead of two,” Dye said. “I love the way we finished, but at the end of the day, we can’t expect to win when we gave up 52 points. It’s just that simple.”

The Ducks are as close to rock bottom as they’ve been in decades. What’s more is that fans have been saying that for a month since Oregon fell to Colorado at home, and things have only gotten worse.

That loss on Sept. 24 also marked the last game Oregon forced a turnover other than on downs. A defense that led the FBS in turnover margin (+1.5) just two seasons ago now has gone 196 minutes and 15 seconds since without forcing a fumble or interception, not including overtime. The Ducks have gained only six turnovers all season; only six other teams have gained fewer.

Defensive backs coach John Neal pointed to a lack of playmakers on the defense to explain the turnover drought, which has perplexed him as much as anyone else.

“I have thought about it, and if I have an answer, it’s that playmakers make plays,” Neal said. “Playmakers on defense are guys who strip balls, who see things. You know, why does Jairus Byrd get 17 interceptions here in his career and becomes an all-pro in the NFL? Because he’s an all-pro-type guy.”

“Don’t think that we haven’t been thinking about it. We try to work on it all the time. We spent two weeks doing strip drills and things like that, and we’re still going to keep doing it.”

Neal has coached defensive secondaries for 34 years, including the last 13 seasons at Oregon. He’s developed seven draft picks over the past eight seasons, including Byrd, who led the NFL with nine interceptions as a rookie in 2009. He knows playmakers, and right now Oregon doesn’t have them.

Head coach Mark Helfrich said applying more pressure on the quarterback will help induce turnovers. Oregon has forced just 10 quarterback hurries on the season, and no single player has accounted for more than two. It could also help explain why opposing quarterbacks have a 142.48 passing efficiency against the Ducks.

Hoke said after the Cal loss that he wanted to get more pressure on quarterback Davis Webb. His goal was to take the inside lanes away and force Webb to bounce to the outside but on several plays Webb eluded the pressure.

“We had a couple opportunities that we let him out of the pocket,” Hoke said. “We can’t do that when we’ve got him lined up.”

The Ducks have surrendered the most touchdowns of any team in the country (41) and the third-most points per game (43.3), largely because opposing offenses have had nearly no trouble scoring against them from inside the red zone. Opponents have come away with points on 37 of 41 trips inside the Ducks’ 20-yard line; Cal scored touchdowns all seven times it got to the red zone on Friday.

Coaches and players generally felt after the Cal loss that the team’s second-half effort was a step in the right direction, but it’s difficult to evaluate the progress of the defense when it has failed in so many areas.

Oregon this season has allowed opposing teams to convert on 48 percent of third-down and 53.8 percent of fourth-down opportunities. The Ducks have also conceded 212 first downs, the most in the country.

Given the huge number of snaps his defensive players were on the field, Neal said it was “remarkable” they improved as the game went on. They defended more than 60 plays in the first half alone, not counting special teams. Cornerback Tyree Robinson was on the field for 115 snaps over the course of the game.

“I knew it was over 100, but I didn’t know it was 115,” Robinson said, laughing. “We know it’s always going to be over 100 because we play the most; we’re going to be on the field the longest. Like I said, we’re doing the most.”

Neal felt encouraged by several of his players “because they don’t quit and they play at a high level,” citing Robinson and fellow defensive backs Brenden Schooler, Khalil Oliver and Ugo Amadi as the four standouts against Cal. Each of them wore GPS systems during the game, and Neal said those players’ readings were “off the charts.”

In all team sports, however, players’ individual efforts are only as good as the team’s results, and the Ducks have not gotten the results they desired.

Bellotti’s Ducks missed a bowl game in 1996, but went on to improve their record by one game in each of the next five seasons, leading up to an 11-1 season in 2001, capped by a Fiesta Bowl victory. The Ducks likely won’t make a bowl game this season, but when you’re at the bottom, the only direction you can go is up.

Crazy how far they have fallen. They couldn't stop Cal? Teams are licking their chops to face that defense.

More!!!! More!!!! That's the football equivalent of Literary Erotica to me.

So the question is begging to be made.

Whose defense is worse?
Cougs Wulff era
Ducks 2016?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Line must of jumped this week as money poured in on the Dawgs again. SportsHoopla Bookie has it at -10.5. Gawd......

Sorry dayman, it's only lines this week. That spread is seems big all things considered, but maybe that's kind of saying, "This game won't be as tight as many were being led to believe. The books think the Dawgs got this one."

Oh well, my vCash is going on the Dawgs.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all well and good, but they've been twice to the NC. Can't expect that every year unless you are Alabama, but wait until you do it before you start laughing.

Long Duk Dong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hoke will be coaching a Pop Warner team next year

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the guy was found innocent why is he banned from playing?

He'll wasn't found innocent, he wasn't found guilty. He wasn't found anything since no charges have been filed. The douchey frat boy got to stand in front of the student council and make accusations and Barber had to stand there and not say anything. The frat boy tried showing off to the wrong and it turned out horrible. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say if it's assault or not but it's been on the DA's desk for nearly 4 months and he's not pressing charges, so he should not be suspended unless he is found guilty or hell even charged.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We’ve got to keep working on the simple things,” defensive coordinator Brady Hoke said after the Cal loss. “Technique, tackling — all those things.”

I don't know. It sounds like he's figured out what they need to work on.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll wasn't found innocent, he wasn't found guilty. He wasn't found anything since no charges have been filed. The douchey frat boy got to stand in front of the student council and make accusations and Barber had to stand there and not say anything. The frat boy tried showing off to the wrong and it turned out horrible. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say if it's assault or not but it's been on the DA's desk for nearly 4 months and he's not pressing charges, so he should not be suspended unless he is found guilty or hell even charged.
If no charges were filed they should let him play imo. They're taking this sh1t too far.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The huskys should be favored ,USC is unranked but they have been playing better and have a decent shot because they have the NFL bodies, just not the discipline and the same coaching.
If our game against USC was on the road this year I'd be a lot more worried about it. USC is always dangerous and your young QB is really making strides. I don't know that your defense is strong enough to beat UW on the road, but of course I'll be concerned about it. I won't dare to even think about a spread or score until that week when we know the injury status for both teams. I do expect a full fight.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone with a pulse or not wearing green and yellow tinted glasses saw what was coming with the Ducks D this year. They were already putting up horrible numbers last year, especially on pass D. The only thing that masked it was Buckner played out of his mind and the numbers Vernon Adams put up.

Then to add gasoline to the brush fire, the Ducks lost 6 out of 7 starters from the front and 4 out their top 5 tacklers to grad and draft.

Honestly. Hoke inherited this disaster in the making and there was no way to instantly fix it. It's why few wanted the job. They looked at the roster of talent and made a face like they just got a whif of a UofO coed on a summer day.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If our game against USC was on the road this year I'd be a lot more worried about it. USC is always dangerous and your young QB is really making strides. I don't know that your defense is strong enough to beat UW on the road, but of course I'll be concerned about it. I won't dare to even think about a spread or score until that week when we know the injury status for both teams. I do expect a full fight.
You make a good point Wiz, USC has one road win this year (Arizona) and is undefeated at home.

With only two roadies left to play, and a little luck Dawg fans, it stays at one. :suds:

Last edited:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a good point Wiz, USC has one road win this year (Arizona) and is undefeated at home.

With only two roadies left to play, and a little luck Dawg fans, it stays at one. :suds:

When I looked at the schedule and saw that USC had to come up here in the middle of Nov., I grinned from ear to ear. Especially against our pass D? Love it. While I would rank it as one of the better opponents we'll face this year and you knew USC was going to get better as the season went on, I still think we got a massive advantage here, team strength and home field conditions right smack there in a mid Nov in Jimmy Johnson's beloved South Alaska.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I looked at the schedule and saw that USC had to come up here in the middle of Nov., I grinned from ear to ear. Especially against our pass D? Love it. While I would rank it as one of the better opponents we'll face this year and you knew USC was going to get better as the season went on, I still think we got a massive advantage here, team strength and home field conditions right smack there in a mid Nov in Jimmy Johnson's beloved South Alaska.
That's another great point. The weather will for sure be another factor to consider. Will it be windy, raining, clear?