• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright
North
Oregon 11-1 lose to UCLA in regular season. Wins North
Stanford 9-3 losses to Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA
Washington 8-5 losses to Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, UCLA, Arizona
Oregon State 6-6 losses to USC, Utah, Stanford, Arizona State, Washington, Oregon
Washington State 6-6 losses to Oregon, Stanford, USC, Oregon State, Arizona State, UW
Cal 3-9 losses to Northwestern, Colorado, WSU, UW, UCLA, Oregon, Oregon State, USC, Stanford

South
UCLA 11-1 loss to USC Wins South
USC 10-2 losses to Stanford, Arizona State
Arizona State 8-4 losses to UCLA, Stanford, Notre Dame, Arizona
Arizona 7-5 losses to Cal, Oregon, USC, WSU, UCLA
Utah 4-8 losses to Michigan, WSU, UCLA, USC, Arizona State, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona
Colorado 4-8 losses to Arizona State, Oregon State, USC, UCLA, UW, Arizona, Oregon, Utah

Oregon wins Championship rematch with UCLA.
Oregon playoff
UCLA Fiesta Bowl
USC Alamo Bowl
Stanford Holiday Bowl
Arizona State Fight Hunger Bowl
UW Sun Bowl
Arizona Las Vegas Bowl
Oregon State Cactus Bowl
WSU at large replacement for CUSA. Hawaii Bowl??

Pretty solid. Here's my take:

North:

1. Oregon 12-0: I think the Ducks are beyond pissed about how their season turned out last year and will be on a mission. Stanford doesn't look to be as tough and they avoid USC and ASU in the South. Close calls will be Stanford and UCLA.
2. Stanford 10-2: losses to Oregon and UCLA.
3. Washington: 9-4: Losses to Oregon, Stanford, UCLA and ASU.
4. Oregon St. 7-5: losses to Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Utah and USC.
5. Washington St. 5-7: losses to Oregon, Stanford, Washington, USC, ASU, Oregon St. and Arizona.
6. Cal 3-9: losses to everyone in the PAC except Colorado. They also lose to BYU.

South:

1. UCLA 10-2: losses to Oregon and ASU.
2. USC 10-2: losses to Stanford and UCLA
3. ASU 9-3: losses to USC, Stanford and Oregon St.
4. Arizona 8-4: losses to USC, UCLA, ASU and Oregon.
5. Utah 5-7: losses to Michigan, USC, UCLA, ASU, Arizona, Oregon, Stanford.
6. Colorado 3-9: They go 0-9 vs. PAC 12.

PAC CCG: Oregon over UCLA in an extremely close game.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you are telling me the dawgs can make it to 9 wins without beating Stanford at home I'll take that all week. Not sure that can happen, but I like your thinking there. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if you are telling me the dawgs can make it to 9 wins without beating Stanford at home I'll take that all week. Not sure that can happen, but I like your thinking there. lol

Not that difficult, I have you splitting with the Arizona schools. Oly has you losing to both.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my question. Thanks.

Yeah, I got what you were asking. I think mamba hasn't quite woken up yet or something. Didn't understand your question and his jimmy radar is way out of calibration.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I got what you were asking. I think mamba hasn't quite woken up yet or something. Didn't understand your question and his jimmy radar is way out of calibration.

:lol: I can never remember which tiebreakers happen in which order.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that difficult, I have you splitting with the Arizona schools. Oly has you losing to both.

I understand what you are saying, but UW hasn't been a great road team for some time. Losing to Stanford, UCLA, and ASU at home and still reaching 9 wins just seems a bit unlikely to me, but anything can happen.

They SHOULD beat cal and colorado on the road. The history of the Apple cup says don't count that chicken before it's hatched. And I don't have a solid read on zona yet, but on the road and their uptempo style spells danger to me.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying, but UW hasn't been a great road team for some time. Losing to Stanford, UCLA, and ASU at home and still reaching 9 wins just seems a bit unlikely to me, but anything can happen.

They SHOULD beat cal and colorado on the road. The history of the Apple cup says don't count that chicken before it's hatched. And I don't have a solid read on zona yet, but on the road and their uptempo style spells danger to me.

True and maybe I'm giving the Huskies too much credit, too soon. From what I have seen though, your Huskies improved in some facet of the game every season under Sark. Whether it was just getting more wins, improvements on offense or defense or just bringing in better talent. There was always improvement.

I think that continues under Petersen and that performance on the road might be the next logical step in the Huskies continued improvement. One of the issues that you have mentioned with Sark was discipline/dumb penalties. Those are huge on the road. If Coach Petersen simply improves on that, it will go a long way towards improving your road game performance.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make them each 4-1 in the PAC South.

The Pac 12 doesnt do division record first. its just conference record. after conference record it is head to head. so even if you went 5-0 in division but lost 4 vs the North your teams conference record of 5-4 would still be behind a division rival that was 4-1 in division but 8-1 in conference.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True and maybe I'm giving the Huskies too much credit, too soon. From what I have seen though, your Huskies improved in some facet of the game every season under Sark. Whether it was just getting more wins, improvements on offense or defense or just bringing in better talent. There was always improvement.

I think that continues under Petersen and that performance on the road might be the next logical step in the Huskies continued improvement. One of the issues that you have mentioned with Sark was discipline/dumb penalties. Those are huge on the road. If Coach Petersen simply improves on that, it will go a long way towards improving your road game performance.

I do think at some point Petersen will have them better prepared to play on the road, but in his first season with a first year QB that still has substantial question marks I'm not sure this year will be that point.

I think there is a good chance they take a step back to take two steps forward. How long that step back lasts is unknown. That's why I put a lot more on the Stanford game than most others probably do. Win or lose they have to play well in it to build confidence or they could lose that team and hit a tailspin.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Washington 8-5 losses to Stanford, Oregon, Arizona State, UCLA, Arizona
I have no problem explaining my reasoning.
4-0 heading into conference play. sorry but this is probably UW weakest nonconference schedule in a long time. but they kind of need it this season with the turn over.
Stanford was a flip flop decision for me. beat them 2 years ago at "home" which was not even Husky stadium. barely lost last year. First real test even at home I just think Stanford, while they will have questions of their own, will be more ready, especially after playing USC early and coming off a bye.
Cal should be no problem.
@ Oregon With Mariota back not to mention a few others like Marshall who ran for over 100 last season. though Oregon will have to find their WR by this one, the Ducks passed pretty well last season on UW. UW doesnt appear yet to have a back that can run over the Ducks the way Sankey did. even with his 160 and 2 TD 1 player cant do it himself against the Ducks. Price and the WR didnt have much.
but Mamba and I are in agreement, right now, next season is the year I fear the Huskies.
People all know about the 10-0 vs the Ducks, mostly because we dont shut up about it, but dont realise the Huskies are also 8-0 against Arizona State by 16 ppg.
No prob Colorado
UCLA I said earlier in the off season I wasnt buying into UCLA eveyone was hyping them, now after more time and research they do seem better than my initial thoughts.
Arizona has a penchant for winning games at home late in the season that they dont seem like they should. Oregon last season, USC in 10 Arizona State in 11, USC in 09
Oregone State and WSU late in the season could be dangerous Oregon State will likely be looking ahead a week to oregon just like Wallace is looking 3 months ahead at it. WSU of course will give it everything since it is the Apple Cup. But I think UW will hold on to win both.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think at some point Petersen will have them better prepared to play on the road, but in his first season with a first year QB that still has substantial question marks I'm not sure this year will be that point.

I think there is a good chance they take a step back to take two steps forward. How long that step back lasts is unknown. That's why I put a lot more on the Stanford game than most others probably do. Win or lose they have to play well in it to build confidence or they could lose that team and hit a tailspin.

I could see a step back but I think more a side stem, plateau for a year or so.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oly, I don't fear the Fuskies next year. I just recognize that the game @ Husky Stadium is their best chance since Chip/Helf era to defeat Oregon. As it stands now anyways.

Oregon will replace Mariota in 2015. But will have the best stable of RBs in the nation next season, if not this season.

Pete with one year of pac12 experience at Husky Stadium is an entirely different entity than Fusky teams of recent past.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a step back but I think more a side stem, plateau for a year or so.

8-5 is a step back vs 8-4 last year. Just saying. Ok, maybe not a huge step back, but still with a totally weak OOC pretty much handing them 4 of those 8 gift wrapped with a bow and having both colorado and cal on the schedule, 8 wins isn't that impressive. It's kind of middle of the road.

The x-factor for UW is their defense. They will have some inexperience in the secondary, but they will have very solid play at LB and line with tons of experience and rotational depth. If that defense can keep them in the Stanford game enough to find some kind of win, even ugly, it might spark something in them. Lose that game big and this team might take a big step back. A close loss probably has no major impact.

I'm not being dismissive when I say Stanford is the game all dawgs should be focused on and not Oregon.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW's defense will keep us in the hunt this year. Lots of solid starters with experience all over it. The transition between the previous and new coaching staffs on D is pretty seamless since Wilcox installed exactly the same system he learned as a Boise St. assistant.

It's the offense that will have a sign that says "Work in progress" slapped across it in 2014. CP is going to be spreading it out a lot more than Sark did, but will still play up to the strengths of the players he inherited. We don't have Sankey this year, but we have a nice group of RBs who will still put up some nice ground yds by committee.

If we take any step back in 2014, it will be minimal ones due to the transitional work on the offense. I still think baring some injury apocalypse, 8-9 wins is very doable for CP's first year on the job here. He's one of the best football coaches on the planet. He seeks perfection and also has that vault of trick plays he loves to throw out at times that many times works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason i say to be careful with singing high praise on Petersen just yet (and I do think he is a good coach and good hire) is because of Dan hawkins and Dirk Koetter. Both did pretty well at Boise and moved on to programs that were sitting in the middle, making bowls but not winning the conference and neither transitioned well. of the three I think Petersen will do the best but just the same Pac is a different animal than WAC and MW as Utah has seen.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That conf prediction looked solid. 8-5 for the Huskies is a realistic projection, but I think CP will find a way to go 9-4. I see them winning the ASU game at Husky stadium or the Zona game. We beat at least one of the Arizona schools this year.

IMO you'll need to beat both to get to 9-4 because you won't get by USC.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do find it curious when duck fans question (appropriately to some degree BTW) if Petersen can transition to this level, but all of their fans find no chance each of their OC's that have taken over can do any wrong.

Why is it more of a wait and see for Petersen than it was for Helfrich when one at least has been a HC in a high profile program?

Mamba, this isn't an angry question, just idle curiosity. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.