• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. But given a choice of Pasadena or Eugene at the age of 18......

Normally I would say Westwood (where the campus is) would win but football wise I think Oregon is a place kids want to go because of the winning. It's like boise or Gonzaga in basketball. You're not really selling the campus you're selling the sold out games and the national pub. UCLA doesn't have that or at least as much as Oregon does.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I would say Westwood (where the campus is) would win but football wise I think Oregon is a place kids want to go because of the winning. It's like boise or Gonzaga in basketball. You're not really selling the campus you're selling the sold out games and the national pub. UCLA doesn't have that or at least as much as Oregon does.
All true. Just depends where the kids head is I suppose.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-star DT Micheal Williams (Fort Worth, TX) has committed to Stanford. His offers included Ohio State, Mich, Texas, Tex A&M, Oklahoma, and UCLA.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC, Oregon maybe UCLA should be the only schools ahead of Washington in recruiting.
Stanford has out done them more often than not lately and Cal has either been right ahead or right behind.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington is tough to figure out for me right now. Will Peterson try and run the same offense as he did at Boise so he will want to bring in lower star but guys he can coach up and use the original trickeration plays that made it hard for bigger schools to play with Boise in Bowls .
I feel like the Boise and Trick plays thing is over exaggerated. I know they have done it a couple times but a couple times over 8 years hardly makes it a trend

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has out done them more often than not lately and Cal has either been right ahead or right behind.

Stanford has built a model that works for them given the challenges of recruiting at a school with Ivy League level of academics. If you can make the grades, few will not commit to them when offered. They continue to recruit exceptionally well in the trenches and proven they'll get lineman into the NFL each year.

Petersen has recruited well, but they could do better, and will need to as the completion in the PAC is crazy these days. With the PAC broadcast deals, every school is able to write big checks for new and upgraded facilities and the line between the haves and have nots of the conf have blurred a lot. PAC is in total arms race mode right now. Schools like WSU and Oregon St. are sporting facilities they could of only dreamed about 10 years ago.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford has recruited top five O lines and LBs mostly.
Yeah, ignore the top 5 QB's (Chryst and Costello) top 5 TE's (Shultz and Smith) and all the 4 star DL, DB's and WR's in the last 3 years and you are almost right.

Don't do drugs Jim, or at least look at their recruiting. Top 25 classes in 3 of the last 5 years, and another top 25 class shaping up (assuming all these commits for 16 can actually get in).

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the Boise and Trick plays thing is over exaggerated. I know they have done it a couple times but a couple times over 8 years hardly makes it a trend

Agree. I think that's more about how big the stage was when they pulled them off.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, ignore the top 5 QB's (Chryst and Costello) top 5 TE's (Shultz and Smith) and all the 4 star DL, DB's and WR's in the last 3 years and you are almost right.

Don't do drugs Jim, or at least look at their recruiting. Top 25 classes in 3 of the last 5 years, and another top 25 class shaping up (assuming all these commits for 16 can actually get in).

Top 25 classes? You just made my point. You O line recruiting is top five maybe top three. You have some great LBs and a DB here n there and a single WR , TE here n there but if you're talking highly rated classes being top 25 isn't really that great if you want to win the whole thing. This year you're off to a great start for sure so if you guys keep it up you might be closer to top 15. With Shaw that might be all you need. I think he's a great coach.

Last edited:

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 25 classes? You just made my point. You O line recruiting is top five maybe top three. You have some great LBs and a DB here n there and a single WR , TE here n there but if you're talking highly rated classes being top 25 isn't really that great if you want to win the whole thing. This year you're off to a great start for sure so if you guys keep it up you might be closer to top 15. With Shaw that might be all you need. I think he's a great coach.

What does that mean? It seems to me, anyway you look at it, academic standards work against Stanford overall. If, for example, if someone like MM was a great QB, smart but paid more attention to girls and sports than his academic studies, happens frequently, he wouldn't quality for Stanford (so they say, I don't believe it), Stanford would be limited to those who meet the entrance requirements and have the skills, and that might well rule out most top ranked QBs, again so they say. So to build a class, Stanford selects from a much smaller population, right? Seems like over time, that will work against them. Now if the game were chess, Stanford would have the edge, but not on a football field, IMO.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that mean? It seems to me, anyway you look at it, academic standards work against Stanford overall. If, for example, if someone like MM was a great QB, smart but paid more attention to girls and sports than his academic studies, happens frequently, he wouldn't quality for Stanford (so they say, I don't believe it), Stanford would be limited to those who meet the entrance requirements and have the skills, and that might well rule out most top ranked QBs, again so they say. So to build a class, Stanford selects from a much smaller population, right? Seems like over time, that will work against them. Now if the game were chess, Stanford would have the edge, but not on a football field, IMO.

Well , I think Stanford gets high rated players where it counts most .The O line. Qbs and LBs. having a kid whos not only realy good but smart at those positions is bonus. TE is also a position they recruit well. It's gonna be tough to find highly rated D line and D backs with grades enough to get in. Usually those guys aren';t the most grounded.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford does have the advantage that if you do have the grades to get an offer, odds are extremely high they will commit quickly. Doesn't matter what the other P5 programs offer. Stanford is an offer you don't refuse. But it's a challenge at times because even if the offer is made, you still have to prove through part of your senior HS season that your going to qualify before you get the clearance from Stanford.

Canton Kaumatule is a perfect example. One of the top prospects on the west coast last year. Attended Punahou on Oahu which is one of the most expensive private schools in the state. But they've become one of those programs where if you got athletic skill, but your family can't afford the tuition, they find a way to get you on campus.

Stanford made an offer, but in the end, the kid was not going to qualify academically, and they had to reject him. And they made the right call because instead of picking a PAC school that still takes academics serious like Washington, Cal, USC, or UCLA, he quickly proceeds to commit to Oregon. Goes to show he doesn't give a rip about academics and was obviously getting lots of help behind the scenes to survive Punahou classes.

Got to respect Stanford for making that call, but I'm sure it makes for some stressful days being the Stanford coaches when they're trying to bring in classes that can compete against the rest of the PAC.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford does have the advantage that if you do have the grades to get an offer, odds are extremely high they will commit quickly. Doesn't matter what the other P5 programs offer. Stanford is an offer you don't refuse. But it's a challenge at times because even if the offer is made, you still have to prove through part of your senior HS season that your going to qualify before you get the clearance from Stanford.

Canton Kaumatule is a perfect example. One of the top prospects on the west coast last year. Attended Punahou on Oahu which is one of the most expensive private schools in the state. But they've become one of those programs where if you got athletic skill, but your family can't afford the tuition, they find a way to get you on campus.

Stanford made an offer, but in the end, the kid was not going to qualify academically, and they had to reject him. And they made the right call because instead of picking a PAC school that still takes academics serious like Washington, Cal, USC, or UCLA, he quickly proceeds to commit to Oregon. Goes to show he doesn't give a rip about academics and was obviously getting lots of help behind the scenes to survive Punahou classes.

Got to respect Stanford for making that call, but I'm sure it makes for some stressful days being the Stanford coaches when they're trying to bring in classes that can compete against the rest of the PAC.

It is what it is. Stanford is a school where you need to have decent grades and want that education to get in. Now don't think that every Stanford [player could get into Stanford if he wasn't a top athlete. I've read that maybe 10% could but the rest are just good kids with good grades. Same goes for Notre dame. Now if Canton isnt a thug or trouble maker I don't really mind that a school takes him. He's wanting to be a football player not an engineer. So if academics aren't your thing then you have schools that place football and winning higher on the totem pole and they will take players like him. I really liked Manti Teo as a recruit and hoped he picked USC but he picked and he was accepted into ND and had a scholly at Stanford but he was a football player not a student athlete. He probably wasn't far off from Canton. I would just laugh at the ND fans who acted like because he was at ND he was some sort of valedictorian.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4-star WR Michael Pittman (Thousand Oaks, CA) has committed to USC.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'instead of picking a PAC school that still takes academics serious like Washington, Cal, USC, or UCLA," --
I call that comment pretty snooty. You mean to say all those X*s that are committing every day are to a school that takes academics seriously make no allowances for players? I say BS. USC doesn't rank as a top football school in the country by placing academic standards for admission on football players the same as they do for the regular student body. I know Stanford is forced to turn a few back but I don't think other schools turn many down who are at least marginally qualified, I don't believe it. I believe its closer to the truth to say about a 5*, send him here, we'll teach him to read!

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'instead of picking a PAC school that still takes academics serious like Washington, Cal, USC, or UCLA," --
I call that comment pretty snooty. You mean to say all those X*s that are committing every day are to a school that takes academics seriously make no allowances for players? I say BS. USC doesn't rank as a top football school in the country by placing academic standards for admission on football players the same as they do for the regular student body. I know Stanford is forced to turn a few back but I don't think other schools turn many down who are at least marginally qualified, I don't believe it. I believe its closer to the truth to say about a 5*, send him here, we'll teach him to read!

No one has the same standards for football players as they do the regular student body (except maybe the Ivy League). There are players who can't get into Stanford who can get in to USC and players who can't get into USC but can get into ......( you know the schools). But for the most part all the schools have offered the same kids. I just think the majority who pick Stanford care about education more than the ones who pick other schools. I can admit that and it makes me pull for Stanford when not playing USC.

Status
Not open for further replies.