• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the problem with adding Boise State is their academic standards are below what the PAC-12 requires.

Correct. BSU isn't a research center and 60% of students accepted have less than a 3.5 high school GPA. Their endowment is 95 million. By comparison, Stanfords endowment is 21 billion. USC 5 billion. Cal 3.9 billion. etc, etc.....

Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA, and UW would never allow it till BSU becomes a serious research center and gets that endowment way up. It's the same reason the PAC16 would of never happened when the PAC commish was floating the idea of Texas and Oklahoma joining the PAC, but Okla St. and Texas Tech were part of the sell as well. Texas Tech and Okla St. are JUCO at academics. Stanford especially said no fucking way in hell.

BYU has been begging the PAC for years to join, but keeps getting rejected for other reasons. They got the academics and endowment, but the California schools would never allow a member to have that "religious honor code" gaga. Especially Stanford and Cal who both would say no way.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 teams with recognized football national championships from various services that awarded them
Cal 1920 , 21, 22, 23, 37
Stanford 1926, 40
USC 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 39, 62, 67, 72, 74, 76, 78, 79, 02, 03, 04, 07
UCLA 54,
Washington 1960, 84, 90, 91
Arizona State 1970, 75
Colorado 90
Utah 08

:lol: I can't speak for anyone else, but USC only claims 11.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is what would Boise (or any other school) provide to justify sharing the PAC 12 income with them? As far as in appearance and success in major bowls , they would no longer get that as a member of a major conference, a gift to soothe the anti-trust advocates. It is unlikely any income from the Boise area would justify an x-million dollar share of the PAC's income. Any expansion would have to include a Texas or Oklahoma type candidate. Even their plea of "come to Boise" has gone largely ignored; simply a matter of economics, not a knock on their program.

No offense to the Beavs or Wazzou, but what makes Boise any less attractive than them? They just happened to be in the area when the PAC was formed. Boise has been more prominent on a national level than either of those 2 for about a good 10 years now.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-star CB Jalen Thompson (Downey, CA) has committed to Washington State.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah a lot of these are by some random agency that awarded a title sometimes just for a couple years.

True. I bet if we were in the SEC we'd claim them though. :lol:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,305.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense to the Beavs or Wazzou, but what makes Boise any less attractive than them? They just happened to be in the area when the PAC was formed. Boise has been more prominent on a national level than either of those 2 for about a good 10 years now.
Once again, being in the Pac has far more to do with academic standards than athletic performance. This isn't European soccer where you throw out the bums and promote the top people on the next tier every year.

Boise State lacks the depth of types of athletics of the rest of the member schools and they are well behind in overall academics. If you are going to compare academics then add Oregon along side OSU and WSU. They are all in the same neighborhood. And all 3 are well ahead of BSU.

Athletics come and go in cycles. If you take BSU and they go on a down cycle then you have a school that can't compete in all/most of the major Pac12 athletics and is well behind the rest of the conference in academic standards.

No offense to our lil bronco buddies.

:suds:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"We" let your lazy azz used condom Trojan club into to the PAC Conference (Beavs equal an ORGINAL)...make no mistake about that one dear sir.

You need a history spanking. I'll let your wife carry out the "Hail Marys" on your rear end.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...

JUCO QB Tony Rodriguez from the City College of San Francisco has signed a scholarship offer to play for the Washington Huskies beginning this fall, according CCSF’s Twitter account.

Rodriguez broke his left collarbone as a senior at Brookside Christian High School in Stockton, Calif. He was a backup as a freshman at CCSF, then starred as the sophomore starter last fall, earning NorCal offensive player of the year honors while completing 58.8 percent of his passes for nearly 2,400 yards with 18 touchdowns and three interceptions.

He has two years of eligibility left.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As wiz pointed out there is the level of athletics they offer. Additionally, both WSU and OSU are R1 Land Grant universities (as is U of A). This gives them a research and academic status, as well as a diversity of MA, MS and PhD programs that fit with the purported academic mission of the conference.

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know. I'm just dreaming and thinking as a sports fan.

Right, AZ-D.

How many times has Boise played USC?

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it when people bring up academics. I am positive this is the reason why you are fans of a particular school. I know I am. I picked up the US News magazine and told myself, what middle of the road institution should I pledge my allegiance to? How about the 108th ranked school in the US? Yep, Oregon.

A large percentage of you dont even have your degree! I love it when you trash another school's academics ( i.e Boise State)

Then the rest of you, the ones who brag about your school's academics, didnt graduate in the field that makes your school stand out. So next time you brag about how great your school is, make sure you cover up that part of your degree that says "General Studies Major". News flash- the reason your school is so great academically, is because international students flood your campus, get straight A's, graduate, then take your jobs.

If you want to talk about sports, lets leave academics out. If you want to talk about great schools for your kids to go to, then Stanford is the champ. Harvard a close second.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it when people bring up academics. I am positive this is the reason why you are fans of a particular school. I know I am. I picked up the US News magazine and told myself, what middle of the road institution should I pledge my allegiance to? How about the 108th ranked school in the US? Yep, Oregon.

A large percentage of you dont even have your degree! I love it when you trash another school's academics ( i.e Boise State)

Then the rest of you, the ones who brag about your school's academics, didnt graduate in the field that makes your school stand out. So next time you brag about how great your school is, make sure you cover up that part of your degree that says "General Studies Major". News flash- the reason your school is so great academically, is because international students flood your campus, get straight A's, graduate, then take your jobs.

If you want to talk about sports, lets leave academics out. If you want to talk about great schools for your kids to go to, then Stanford is the champ. Harvard a close second.
It's relevant when the topic of conference expansion and why a school wouldn't be considered is discussed...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's relevant when the topic of conference expansion and why a school wouldn't be considered is discussed...

Yeah, I get what Shaver is saying and my post didn't consider the academic side of the equation. I was looking at it purely from an athletic, population size and stadium size point of view.

From that perspective, Wazzou and OSU bring no more to the table than Boise would. It might rustle the jimmies of some Wazzou and OSU fans, but at least from a football perspective (which I tend to weigh most heavily since that's most schools highest revenue sport) there's really no comparison over about the last decade or decade and a half.

After Wiz and Buddha's explanations, I understand better why Boise hasn't been invited in.

Last edited:

Not Neutral

Cross Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What else would a football fan think about if not the academics of the institution they are playing? What I think of when I hear that is how a top ranked religion-affiliated school reinstated a QB who was caught cheating academically. GPA for admittance? How about bankroll required to afford some schools. If low rated schools are taboo, how do they turn out graduates like Uncle Phil and Boone. I would want to know what they learned there. And if Stanford and Cal are so picky, why did they ever let ASU and U of A in? I'm sure neither of those schools ranked/rank them much if any above Boise, so that argument is hollow. Schools exist for the academics of course, their reason for being, but football is a business. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, regardless of what is talked about before or after the fact, is that $ value may not be discussed, but will be the number one factor in expansion if and when it occurs IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.