• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've missed my point. Many Oregon fans think the past ten years is when modern football started and that Oregon is on some higher level just because of these past ten years and the shiny uniforms. Yes, you've won a lot of games , you've beaten your rivals on a consistent basis and you've been the team to beat in the Pac. But it's only ten years and when it's all said and done you've won two Rose Bowl games and have no NC. I think USC has just as many if not more Rose Bowls and BCS game victories in the past ten years. In my opinion The bragging is way out of line for what you've actually won. Maybe you don't agree and that's your right. Like I said it's my opinion.
As far as the game looking different. I look at the recent champions Ohio State, Florida State, Auburn, Alabama. They didn't look that different to me. More pro style than what Oregon runs. Has the college game picked up some of the Oregon offense ? Yes I can't deny that. But what new England and what Seattle and what Ohio State ran are versions of spread with some run option but it's not the whole offense. Kapernick and RG3 are having to learn more pocket passing than passing QBs learning more option. QBs are more athletic that's for sure but even chip isn;t running his college offense yet .

Many Oregon fans think modern football was invented in last ten years????? LMAO - I know hundreds of Oregon fans and not one think that.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many Oregon fans think modern football was invented in last ten years????? LMAO - I know hundreds of Oregon fans and not one think that.

Sure you do.lol. Like the one here who says they were good prior to ten years ago?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(No, Beaver, not Nike; that was only second IMO).

You still mad bro at that licking your club took last year in CornValley?

BTW....

Beavers are looking good for a 7th straight run @ Omaha this year...we don't re-build our baseball team, we just "re-load" is all. Killer series versus Cal coming soon!

GO BEAVZ!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to Oregon, Oregon's rise began about 20 years ago in 1995, when they brought in Mike Bellotti. He started them on a streak of winning seasons and only had 1 losing season (2004) in his 14 years and found themselves ranked as high as #7 in the country. Then Chip Kelly took over, threw a turbo charger on what was already a team with a lot of offensive fire power and the program has really taken off.

The biggest "problem" with the Ducks fans is social media and 24/7 access and information. The constant attention can cause some (not all) Ducks fans to believe that they have been successful for longer than they have. At the same time, because their rise started prior to the explosion of social media, it gives non-Ducks fans the impression that have "burst onto the scene a short time ago."

Every traditional power, at one time in their history, was where Oregon is right now, just without the constant hype. They became traditional powers because they sustained it over several decades. If Oregon can continue with their success, they will become accepted as a traditional power (but probably not as quickly as many of their fans think they should). If they can't continue the success, they will become a footnote in cfb history.

Time will tell.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to Oregon, Oregon's rise began about 20 years ago in 1995, when they brought in Mike Bellotti. He started them on a streak of winning seasons and only had 1 losing season (2004) in his 14 years and found themselves ranked as high as #7 in the country. Then Chip Kelly took over, threw a turbo charger on what was already a team with a lot of offensive fire power and the program has really taken off.

The biggest "problem" with the Ducks fans is social media and 24/7 access and information. The constant attention can cause some (not all) Ducks fans to believe that they have been successful for longer than they have. At the same time, because their rise started prior to the explosion of social media, it gives non-Ducks fans the impression that have "burst onto the scene a short time ago."

Every traditional power, at one time in their history, was where Oregon is right now, just without the constant hype. They became traditional powers because they sustained it over several decades. If Oregon can continue with their success, they will become accepted as a traditional power (but probably not as quickly as many of their fans think they should). If they can't continue the success, they will become a footnote in cfb history.

Time will tell.

#2 under Bellotti

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Time will tell.

Overall this is my thinking as well as the fact that even the traditional powers have had their hiccup runs as well. look at Michigan and ND under charlie

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to go back to the leather helmet days (you don't want me to believe me). So since the formation of the Pac 10 (1978) till ten years ago Oregon had one 11 win season (2001) and one 10 win season (2000) only three 9 win seasons and five bowl wins . In 26 years thats it. A bunch of 5-6 and 6-5 seasons no Rose Bowl wins. So you've been good since 2000 and before then nada.
The team you guys like to crack on Washington if you go back to the formation of the Pac 10 they have four 9 win seasons, four 10 win seasons, two 11 win seasons one perfect 12-0 season (and a share of NC) four Rose Bowl wins and seven other bowl wins. So in other words the Huskies even with the past ten years have won more and been more relevant for many more years.

Washington has also been more irrelevant in that same time so what? no one was ever denying their history

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Time will tell.

You're only talking about 2000 to 2004 that Ducks were very good( before the last ten). Prior to that ( going back to the Pac 8)three 9 win seasons no Rose Bowl wins a few bowl wins and a bunch of 5-6 win seasons is all they have in those ten years . Thats about the same as what Duck fans laugh at Washington for. So no. It's just till 2000 that they even show up on the map. But they are on here like they are world beaters.

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you at all worried about Cal this year? I think they are a sleeper team. I know they have a BRUTAL schedule, but I see them winning some games that people think they wont.
I would not say worried, but a bit tentative in predicting another ass whooping. Their O should be pretty good this year, and Staford will have some very young DB's this year. I just don't think that Cal's D can stop anyone. So it will be interesting to see what Sorry Yikes does with the team.

Oh and you say Nerd like it is a bad thing.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice use of Wikipedia. solid research.
I would not say worried, but a bit tentative in predicting another ass whooping. Their O should be pretty good this year, and Staford will have some very young DB's this year. I just don't think that Cal's D can stop anyone. So it will be interesting to see what Sorry Yikes does with the team.

Oh and you say Nerd like it is a bad thing.

Not at all.....Nerds are cool these days....

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nice use of Wikipedia. solid research.

Not at all.....Nerds are cool these days....
Makes it sound like I am a hipster, I was a nerd before nerds were cool.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Time will tell.
I would credit Brooks as starting the upswing at Oregon. He made it so they started being a semi-respectable team and was the one that found and groomed Belotti. I also feel much of the Ducks' success stems from the continuity of the coaching staff. Having the next HC/OC/DC in house a few years before he takes the position is a huge boon.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a total shock but still sucks. Projected starting TE Bryce Dixon is no longer enrolled at USC.. He was suspended a few games last year and didn't attend spring ball so what ever his issue is he obviously didn't fix it. That is a position that was already thin.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to worry Mr Wallace I remember that year the Beavers were good, smacked up Notre Dame in a BCS bowl. That was a good year.
Like many years for Notre Dame, it was good right up to that damned bowl game.

Status
Not open for further replies.