• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE PAC 12 THREAD v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth as you mention (offhand) that last year the PAC had more teams than the Big XII in the top 25, your most recent "history". Most "experts" (I'm excluding you) feel that the PAC 12 is still up and coming while the Big XII is fighting a losing battle for its existence. When comparisons are made its usually the PAC 12 v. the SEC. Slanting "facts" to cover your arguments is indeed the worst kind of trolling, no doubt brought on by your lucky win at the SB. Most fans feel, and you know it too, the PAC 12 > Big XII by a wide margin.

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/5267811-post534.html

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boxedlunch,

I spoke to your 'stat' at least 3 times. You either didn't understand it, or ignored it.

Saying the overall win percentage after a bye is somewhere around 48% and change in no way, shape, or form speaks to the standard deviation within the data set. You sir clearly have no idea about statistical probability analysis. Within any set of data lies standard deviations and that is the case here.

I didn't just present the article that has been your personal crusade to refute (still with no evidence), but also grabbed just the first two pages I found doing a quick search. You? Nothing.

The odds makers at the sports books very much track and use performance after a bye when setting their odds. This is pure fact. If you would like more links supporting that then speak up because that's easy to present. If you agree they do track it and use it in their spread odds then you MUST also agree that some teams then do better with that time off than others.

All your 48% says is there are slightly more teams that get thrown off in their rhythm than those who take great use of that time. That's it. Nothing more. And that is exactly what that first article was speaking to. The list of coaches you least want to face after they are coming off a bye. That there are less that actually can use that time to teach and implement a more refined game plan than those that are thrown out of rhythm and are hurt by it is not surprising in the least. It does speak to the case for coaching actually mattering.

Now, I'm going to say this for the last time in a nice way, either present something of substance or go troll a different thread. We will not tolerate outsiders going off on tangents on our thread. We do a fine job of derailing our thread without the need for help.

Consider yourself warned.

You said at least twice, that I offered no stats. You can claim you addressed it at the same time, but you saying I offered nothing makes me wonder if you want a conversation.

Who are you to stick up your nose at a stat that actually addressed the issue, then you're offering "against the spread" and NFL numbers. Really, while that touches on the issue, it sure doesn't come close to measuring the actual advantage or disadvantage of the set. Since you've offered nothing more to make your point of view, what's the pious attitude about. Because you can dig up some loosely related info from dubious sources, am I supposed to be impressed with you? Come on.

I'm ready to give you all sorts of information actually related to the topic, but frankly, I don't want to waste my time if you're going to have an attitude about it. First of all, tell me why I should take the original link seriously in any way, given the lack of any measure of opponents. I find it hilarious that people will rank the only undefeated team at #7 because "they haven't played anyone", and yet will look at this list of selective information and think that it actually tells the measure of how the coaches do. Explain this:

Bob Stoops is 19-6 after a bye week. He is 8-7 in bowls, so according to the guys from the original link, he'd be 27-13 after a bye week. All 13 of those losses came against ranked teams, 8 came against top 10 teams. Mark Hudspeth makes the list without having to play a single ranked team "after a bye week". Now, am I supposed to believe that Hudspeth is just that better after a bye, or is the quality of opponent he played just weaker? The whole list is nonsense without context. Why don't you address this and prove you can think instead of puffing out your chest and thinking you've proved something.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mamba's concert goes OFF in t-minus 15 mins or so...wonder how hammered this poor sap is now?

Midnight can't cum quick enuff for this young pup.
:laugh3:

You better get off that phone and start the drinking fast. It's a magical date night of Sam with the ol ball and chain. :drink: :whip:

Sam Smith - Lay Me Down (Acoustic) - YouTube

The wifeys little evening isn't for another month meat heads.

:suds:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were red hot on the ocean this weekend.

SAT: 8 coho (silver salmon), 1 26 LB chinook

SUN: 35 seabass, 6 coho, 1 monster lingcod

And 48 dungenness crab from a 2 day pot drop.

My 11 year old went in the ocean for the first time. Between catching seabass he would puke off the side then say " gimme the poll back, catch a double, then puke again. :laugh:

Posting a pic of the bounty in face thread of the boy with the Sunday catch.

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christ, what a seafood haul. That's amazing and lots of great cooking. PACNW was incredible this weekend. I'm seeing UW and Seahawks gear everywhere. Football feaver is already in full effect up here.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God help us. I was reading in the Seatimes this morning that WSU wants to open a medical school. The OR or ICU is not the place to be having "Coug'd it" moments.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christ, what a seafood haul. That's amazing and lots of great cooking. PACNW was incredible this weekend. I'm seeing UW and Seahawks gear everywhere. Football feaver is already in full effect up here.

Nice. My uncle who passed before getting to see his beloved Seahawks win the SB would be proud of my boy. He converted to a Seahawks fan after fishing on the boat (named after my uncle Swede Bad).

He got to see his grave and the SB tribute we made for him there.

I am taking my son to get a Wilson jersey this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said at least twice, that I offered no stats. You can claim you addressed it at the same time, but you saying I offered nothing makes me wonder if you want a conversation.

Who are you to stick up your nose at a stat that actually addressed the issue, then you're offering "against the spread" and NFL numbers. Really, while that touches on the issue, it sure doesn't come close to measuring the actual advantage or disadvantage of the set. Since you've offered nothing more to make your point of view, what's the pious attitude about. Because you can dig up some loosely related info from dubious sources, am I supposed to be impressed with you? Come on.

I'm ready to give you all sorts of information actually related to the topic, but frankly, I don't want to waste my time if you're going to have an attitude about it. First of all, tell me why I should take the original link seriously in any way, given the lack of any measure of opponents. I find it hilarious that people will rank the only undefeated team at #7 because "they haven't played anyone", and yet will look at this list of selective information and think that it actually tells the measure of how the coaches do. Explain this:

Bob Stoops is 19-6 after a bye week. He is 8-7 in bowls, so according to the guys from the original link, he'd be 27-13 after a bye week. All 13 of those losses came against ranked teams, 8 came against top 10 teams. Mark Hudspeth makes the list without having to play a single ranked team "after a bye week". Now, am I supposed to believe that Hudspeth is just that better after a bye, or is the quality of opponent he played just weaker? The whole list is nonsense without context. Why don't you address this and prove you can think instead of puffing out your chest and thinking you've proved something.

So you question my attitude with the garbage you've been spewing? Go back and read the vitriol you've dumped on this thread.

I've got a response for you right here.

:finger2:

You have offered nothing to back up your claim that individual coaches are no better/worse after a bye than they would be playing the same game in back to back weeks. You are only interested in creating drama of what was just a small article on the PAC12 THREAD that wasn't a big deal anyway. No one created a new thread and thumped their chest over it, just passed it along as two Pac coaches were in this article and we pass that along to our readers.

Don't agree with it? Fine. You haven't offered any reason to continue this discussion. It's time for you to find the door and leave the Pac12 thread alone. If you can't find it on your own either I, or one of the other CFB mods will help you to it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. My uncle who passed before getting to see his beloved Seahawks win the SB would be proud of my boy. He converted to a Seahawks fan after fishing on the boat (named after my uncle Swede Bad).

He got to see his grave and the SB tribute we made for him there.

I am taking him to get a Wilson jersey this week.

Damn man, that's so sad.

On another note, I wish Portland would get an NFL team. That rivalry would be epic. Funny now how both Seattle and Portland have professional sports teams, but the only league they are both in together is soccer. :L

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn man, that's so sad.

On another note, I wish Portland would get an NFL team. That rivalry would be epic. Funny now how both Seattle and Portland have professional sports teams, but the only league they are both in together is soccer. :L

Can't say the Sonics and Blazers were not fun to watch go at each other either...I remember Sikma, DJ and that lil' guy going at us in the past...

ALL good stuff whiz.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz, don't even bother with that half cork, I've gone round & round with him. I don't think he's playing with a full deck

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiz, don't even bother with that half cork, I've gone round & round with him. I don't think he's playing with a full deck
:agree: Half a lunch or whatever his name, just doesn't get this thread at all.

Probably jelly TBT.

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you question my attitude with the garbage you've been spewing? Go back and read the vitriol you've dumped on this thread.

I've got a response for you right here.

:finger2:

You have offered nothing to back up your claim that individual coaches are no better/worse after a bye than they would be playing the same game in back to back weeks. You are only interested in creating drama of what was just a small article on the PAC12 THREAD that wasn't a big deal anyway. No one created a new thread and thumped their chest over it, just passed it along as two Pac coaches were in this article and we pass that along to our readers.

Don't agree with it? Fine. You haven't offered any reason to continue this discussion. It's time for you to find the door and leave the Pac12 thread alone. If you can't find it on your own either I, or one of the other CFB mods will help you to it.

Well, aren't you polite.

Again, coaches may be better or worse after a bye, but I really doubt there's a way of testing it. You claim that the original stats somehow made that point, but you failed to back that up. You ignored my example of Stoops and Hudspeth. If I'm to believe what you're saying, you must therefore accept the fact that Hudspeth is better coming off byes than Stoop. Why don't you back that up with facts? We know that Stoops is 9-0 against unranked teams coming off a bye and 2-1 in bowls against unranked teams. Hudspeth is 3-3 and 3-0 in bowls. So against unranked teams, Stoops is 11-1, Hudspeth is 6-3. It's only when you add in the superior opponents that Hudspeth had a better record. If I'm to believe what you say, Hudspeth is better after byes, because he has a better record. I contend that his record is only better because of the last of ranked teams. How to prove either though? You really can't, which is my point. Nonsense stats are nonsense.

Now, can you back up with something tangible that Hudspeth's better record that Stoops is attributable to coming off a bye? Go ahead and give me something other than hot air.

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah, but you're a loon, Rich. Thanks for stopping your incessant emailing to me.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: Half a lunch or whatever his name, just doesn't get this thread at all.

Probably jelly TBT.

I don't care what the subject is, I still can't believe that Wiz, Trojan, and Vitamike all agree on anything.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care what the subject is, I still can't believe that Wiz, Trojan, and Vitamike all agree on anything.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ZOKDmorj0]Biblical Proportions - YouTube[/ame]

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wallace- The Seattle v. Portland WHL games used to be epic in my youth as well.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wallace- The Seattle v. Portland WHL games used to be epic in my youth as well.

Yes they were. Lots of actual fist fights in the crowd during those games. I was pretty young the first time I went to one and it was something pretty incredible in the stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.