• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the ohio state SUCKeyes

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for your claim that the talent difference showed up in the 2nd half, I don't know that I agree with that assessment. Like the game changed so drastically with one big play in the first half in favor of the Gophers, that forced fumble was a good defensive play, sure, but the lucky bounce that put the ball right into a defensive players hands who happened to be facing towards the endzone with almost no one in his path to stop him from running it in for a TD had little to do with OSU's superior talent level. That was just a lucky bounce that went OSU's way. Had a Gopher been able to fall on the ball, I believe we would have had another shot to get a first down or we'd have at least gotten a chance to punt it away. Not saying the Gophers would have then won, but they may have been able to keep the final scoring margin closer. Not saying there isn't a talent difference, but I think that is more of a raw talent thing, as UMn, at least on offense, had pretty comparable offense.

That is part of the talent difference showing up. To win, Minnesota had to play a mistake free game. They pretty well did just that in the first half. In the 2nd half, they still didn't make a lot of mistakes, but the ones they did...cost them.

Basically, because of the difference in talent, tOSU had more of a margin for error than Minnesota did.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure, but cannot recall any in the last class or in upcoming.

Just Carrico who is a top 100 guy..

Next class has two top 50 guys though...both from Ohio.

I think Larry Johnson and Coombs are both beasts from a recruiting standpoint but they are on the DL and secondary respectively moreso. I wish they'd developed Marcus Freeman in house for the LB's

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just Carrico who is a top 100 guy..

Next class has two top 50 guys though...both from Ohio.

I think Larry Johnson and Coombs are both beasts from a recruiting standpoint but they are on the DL and secondary respectively moreso. I wish they'd developed Marcus Freeman in house for the LB's
Yep...seems like Hartline has the WRs locked down, Guessing Day the QBs. Who does RBs and OL or is it a combo of the others?

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is part of the talent difference showing up.

To win, Minnesota had to play a mistake free game. They pretty well did just that in the first half. In the 2nd half, they still didn't make a lot of mistakes, but the ones they did...cost them.
Yeah, the turnovers killed MN, especially the strip sack for a score. And they needed to score on that possession at the end of half 1.

I figured OSU would get their run game going in the 2nd half, and they fed #28, to set up the pass. Then the buckeye receivers were coming open, and getting big plays.

MN will probably prove to be a good team, but OSU is loaded for bear with athletes again.

That being said, it did look like OSU DB's were just grabbing any WR targeted more than 15 yards downfield. Some PI's got called, but probably a couple more should have.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is part of the talent difference showing up. To win, Minnesota had to play a mistake free game. They pretty well did just that in the first half. In the 2nd half, they still didn't make a lot of mistakes, but the ones they did...cost them.

Basically, because of the difference in talent, tOSU had more of a margin for error than Minnesota did.
Well, that and a lucky bounce. How often do fumbles bounce up right into a defender's arms? lol

I mean, come on, even good teams get lucky sometimes. The talent helped put OSU into the position to get lucky, I'll grant that but not every fumble results in easy defensive tds, far more often they are recovered by the team that fumbled or jumped on by the defender near the spot of the fumble.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like Chase really blew him up...Chase was a solid get but he wasn't the Bosa's coming in. For him to get to THAT level at OSU...

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But no one on par with Johnson... that dude is a damn magician.
I can't remember who it was, but there was an NFL lineman (multiple years in) who said Larry would call him every week during the NFL season, and evaluate him/give advice after each game. When you have that type of dedication to the person post college, recruiting has to come easy.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean by "not a big caliber team"? Are you judging the 2021 Gophers against 2020? I ask because even the commentators pointed out that this 2021 Gophers team should be compared to the 2019 team more, and that team went 11-2 beating PSU and Auburn. Or were PSU and Auburn not big caliber teams?

And it was the first game of the season for a lot of 1st year Buckeyes going up against a pretty experienced Gopher squad.
Minnesota is not a big caliber team. They had a great year in 2019, best year they have had since 2003. If you look at this realistically, Minnesota has a very experienced squad, and still got dropped by OSU which is a very young team this year. If Minnesota was a big caliber team, they would have won. If you cant beat a very young team with all of that experience, it says a lot.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I am not very concerned...coming into the season I knew this would be a very young team with very few experienced starters other than the WR's. We saw a young team, freshman QB and 11 players out struggle bigtime in the 1st half but bounce back strong in the 2nd half. I knew the defense would struggle considering they have basically all new starters and they weren't very good last year. Minny was the experienced team and they pretty much dominated the 2nd half. Minny, if they get their RB back, can be a top 3 B1G team without a doubt. With all things considered and the outlook coming into the season I can't be disappointed considering what we saw in the 2H from the offense. Possibly their best OL (the center) was out and a starting CB is huge for a young team. We will see what they have against Oregon
Yes, OSU is young and will have a decent year. But no, there wasn't 11 starters out for the team ( I know you didn't say starters but you guys are acting like the 11 guys were the play makers on the team ). There was nothing disappointing about the game for OSU, they are young and inexperienced, the next few years will be very good for them. But realistically, they didn't show enough to be #4.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, OSU is young and will have a decent year. But no, there wasn't 11 starters out for the team ( I know you didn't say starters but you guys are acting like the 11 guys were the play makers on the team ). There was nothing disappointing about the game for OSU, they are young and inexperienced, the next few years will be very good for them. But realistically, they didn't show enough to be #4.
Spread was 14. won by 14. Tough environment in bad weather. I mean, if someone behind them beats a tougher opponent though I can agree they could pass them. No one should own their spot in the polls just because they won.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is not a big caliber team. They had a great year in 2019, best year they have had since 2003. If you look at this realistically, Minnesota has a very experienced squad, and still got dropped by OSU which is a very young team this year. If Minnesota was a big caliber team, they would have won. If you cant beat a very young team with all of that experience, it says a lot.
One lucky bounce that went OSU's way, had it gone UMn's way, we are not sure how it would have ended up. Yes UMn was very experienced, on offense, not so much on defense as could be seen with how open some of OSU's receivers ended up. They did not speed away from defenders, the Gopher defenders just screwed up and let them get open.

And no one is claiming OSU isn't a big caliber team, you were saying UMn wasn't, so I was trying to figure out what you meant by that. UMn went 11-2 in 2019, finished #10 in the nation and many think this year's Gopher team could be just as good, and you are saying they are not a big caliber team, so I'm guessing when you mean big caliber team you are talking strictly playoff quality teams, like Bama, Clemson and OU? Ok, that's fine, now I understand and I can agree with that.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One lucky bounce that went OSU's way, had it gone UMn's way, we are not sure how it would have ended up. Yes UMn was very experienced, on offense, not so much on defense as could be seen with how open some of OSU's receivers ended up. They did not speed away from defenders, the Gopher defenders just screwed up and let them get open.

And no one is claiming OSU isn't a big caliber team, you were saying UMn wasn't, so I was trying to figure out what you meant by that. UMn went 11-2 in 2019, finished #10 in the nation and many think this year's Gopher team could be just as good, and you are saying they are not a big caliber team, so I'm guessing when you mean big caliber team you are talking strictly playoff quality teams, like Bama, Clemson and OU? Ok, that's fine, now I understand and I can agree with that.

How'd they do in 2020?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tOSU might have best the WR group in the nation, if not top 3, so yeah Minny just screwed up lol. Minny easily had the more experienced group, half the team for tOSU was either a freshman or starting their first collegiate game.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depth matters but depth matters a hell of a lot more when you have one of the youngest teams in the nation. They actually had two key CB’s out, I thought it was one. Cam Brown and Banks was out.
Who cares if they didn’t show enough to be #4? I dont know why you are focusing on that, preseason rankings reflect the previous years ranks for the most part. They lost a ton of starters, all they have to do is win. This is a very young team, every win is confidence. This isn’t an experienced group with a Heisman winner looking to beatdown every opponent by 28 points. I dont think you are comprehending any of that