• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="RevSader, post: 7413252, member: 4500"]Leonys was putting one of the better defensive seasons you can have in CF with the limited number of innings he played last year. He's beyond gold glove in the field. I am willing to bet Leonys is close to the all time leader in defensive runs saved for Texas CF since that has been tracked. (Hey he was with Gentry right behind him. Gentry was more efficient though)

All he has to do is get on base 33% of the time and he would be a great asset. I wish it were for him to do than it was to say it though.[/QUOTE]

Disagree with ya on Martin. He still takes bad angles but makes up for it with his speed. He still has a very, very difficult time with balls hit over his head. And good CF take charge in the outfield and he's God awful at this. Numerous near collisions with him out there, and constant confusion on "who's ball is this really?"

I think you're letting that rocket-launcher arm sway ya here some.

And as far as him getting on base, you're also forgetting how many brain dead decisions he makes on the base paths. He gets picked off, and over slides often (seems to be a Ranger disease actually).

But for me, the bottom line and last line was when he refused to be ready for the PS b/c he was upset about not being on the team. Inexcusable, and unforgivable.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonys was putting one of the better defensive seasons you can have in CF with the limited number of innings he played last year. He's beyond gold glove in the field. I am willing to bet Leonys is close to the all time leader in defensive runs saved for Texas CF since that has been tracked. (Hey he was with Gentry right behind him. Gentry was more efficient though)

All he has to do is get on base 33% of the time and he would be a great asset. I wish it were for him to do than it was to say it though.

so are you a fan of Martin staying with the Rangers and getting better?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so are you a fan of Martin staying with the Rangers and getting better?

I won't shed a tear if they dump him after that hissy fit he threw. He's only under contract for 2016 anyways.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't shed a tear if they dump him after that hissy fit he threw. He's only under contract for 2016 anyways.
He isn't under contract for next year. He is arbitration eligible.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm bored, bro. We should be finishing off the Royals right about now but instead I'm trying to figure out how bad our team is going to be gutted.

What makes you think they'll be gutted?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the 40th anniversary of this great World Series moment.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok here is my take on Martin. Rangers will nontender him as they can not risk paying him that amount of money for a guy not likely to start on their team. If he could find his bat he would be a plus asset for a lot of teams. Has a cannon and his routes have improved over the years IMO. Not always the best judgement on throws but that can be coached. He is a talent but too risky. We can always get a defensive replacement like Stubbs or maybe even Gentry back who BTW both climb the wall better than Martin. Funny remember Romeo and I going back and forth on routes of Martin on old ESPN board. Interesting takes

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take that bet.
Why was Martin omitted from playoff roster? Not be wise of injury IMO. They had a guy just as good overall and cheaper and yes a better base runner. The lack of getting o. See has damaged severely his future with the Rangers. He won't make they money he feels like he deserves. I really felt like he was a poor mans Cespedes when we got him. A's spent much more than us if I remember correctly. Martin never developed his bit tool.

Short version. I don't think he makes the club next season. We will bridge until Brinson is ready

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw I would rather have a speedy guy with less efficient routes and a cannon in CF than someone less speedy and a squirt gun. Have no high optimism on DDJ creating arm strength in offseason. He is better suited for LF. I hope I am surprised and improves because other teams ran on his arm and were successful. They did not on Martin

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw I would rather have a speedy guy with less efficient routes and a cannon in CF than someone less speedy and a squirt gun. Have no high optimism on DDJ creating arm strength in offseason. He is better suited for LF. I hope I am surprised and improves because other teams ran on his arm and were successful. They did not on Martin
He has very little power for a corner OF though. I think eventually his best position is bench player. For 2016 though I think he starts in CF.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has very little power for a corner OF though. I think eventually his best position is bench player. For 2016 though I think he starts in CF.

I think eventually his best value to the team will be in a trade. There will be multiple major league teams that will be happy to have him lead off for them.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think eventually his best value to the team will be in a trade. There will be multiple major league teams that will be happy to have him lead off for them.
That is a definite possibility, but it sure would be nice having him on the bench if you didn't get any good offers. He might get you a good return for someone wanting a good OF who is cheap.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that gets the 40 man roster down to 38 with 4 guys from the 60 day DL who still have to be returned to the roster before either the GM meetings or the owners' meetings. The 4 guys on the 60 day DL are Darvish, Tepesch, Claudio, and Profar.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Joey Gallo preparing for 2016

The early surgery didn't help. Gallo said he spent the rest of the year trying to regain the strength in his legs and never did catch up. That is why he plans to spend this winter in Las Vegas on a rigorous conditioning program rather than play winter ball.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that gets the 40 man roster down to 38 with 4 guys from the 60 day DL who still have to be returned to the roster before either the GM meetings or the owners' meetings. The 4 guys on the 60 day DL are Darvish, Tepesch, Claudio, and Profar.

Yes your numbers look right. Some of those guys are guys not yet in a contract and a few like Martin and Wilson may not get w contract. That makes either trades and non tenders likely as we have rule 5 guys we don't want to expose and make want to get under one so we can add a player in the draft as well---maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.