• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooks is climbing higher than I thought he would. He lacks elite size, but he's got the production and looks to be showing well at the combine so far...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needless to say I was intrigued. His highlight tapes (of course they make him look good... they're fucking highlight tapes, I know. But alas-) don't dissapoint. He has real knack for making the over-the-shoulder grab with a huge catch radius, and is adept on the back-shoulder fades as well.

I was watching ALA players like Mosely and Clinton-Dix. Both times I watched them against A & M, I couldn't stop watching Evans. Dude is a beast. Wouldn't take him over Watkins but him and CJ would be a lot of fun to watch. We would be like the Bears but with a better QB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the local kid from SVSU?

yep. He should still be there in the 4th round if not after. He was at the senior bowl and didn't do horribly nor did he impress. The reason for him being there in the 4th or later.... HE"S from GVSU

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many threads are you gonna create that say all the same thing?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooks is climbing higher than I thought he would. He lacks elite size, but he's got the production and looks to be showing well at the combine so far...

Doesn't COOKS remind you of Mayhew's past draft in WR's, minus the mentally insane or coming off injury? Titus, Broyles like stature...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martavias Bryant must be a terrible route runner with terrible hands. When you are 6'4" 211 lbs and run a 4.34 -- Something is up, when you aren't talk about being a 1st round talent.

He was projected to be a 3rd-4th rounder before turning in that kind of time. I'd say that's probably enough to bump him into 2nd-3rd territory now...

With this bumper crop of WRs coming through this year, and our total lack of depth there, we should grab two WRs in the first 4 rounds, imo...

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've had my eye on him for awhile. Looks like a Tavon Austin clone but with much better production. Sure fire first rounder. His floor is #28, Carolina Panthers.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't COOKS remind you of Mayhew's past draft in WR's, minus the mentally insane or coming off injury? Titus, Broyles like stature...

Yep- and I loved both of those WR's skill-sets. They would have both been dynamite slot WRs if not for their injuries.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Way better than either of those two. Broyles might have better hands but Cooks is faster than either without the head aches.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've had my eye on him for awhile. Looks like a Tavon Austin clone but with much better production. Sure fire first rounder. His floor is #28, Carolina Panthers.

I like Cooks too, and think he's the much more polished pure receiver, but Austin's production at West Virginia was out of this world if I remember correctly.

I get what you're saying, though- Cooks produced in bunches for those Beavers. lol... sorry. But his 1,700+ yards last season is outstanding for a college WR. He's going to have a long, productive career. I'd be perfectly happy with trading down 10 spots and taking him at #20 and using the extra 2nd or 3rd round pick on another WR or a safety or CB...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was projected to be a 3rd-4th rounder before turning in that kind of time. I'd say that's probably enough to bump him into 2nd-3rd territory now...

With this bumper crop of WRs coming through this year, and our total lack of depth there, we should grab two WRs in the first 4 rounds, imo...

Exactly what Mayhew should do especially if Watkins and Evans are gone at #10, Trade down into that 18-21 range. I don't care if its 2 slots at a time dropping, picking up 4th rounders' at a minimum (plus a 2015 5th rounder. Once you get to pick 15 each slot drop is 50 points so roughly a 4th round max. Which means there will still be players like Moncreif, Abbrederis, Huff, Davis, Janis and others available.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way better than either of those two. Broyles might have better hands but Cooks is faster than either without the head aches.

I should have highlighted stature... That the point I was making "Stature" 5' 10" 180-185 LBS.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying, though- Cooks produced in bunches for those Beavers. lol... sorry. But his 1,700+ yards last season is outstanding for a college WR. He's going to have a long, productive career. I'd be perfectly happy with trading down 10 spots and taking him at #20 and using the extra 2nd or 3rd round pick on another WR or a safety or CB...

That definitely sounds good but I am enamored with Mike Evans. 4.47 is plenty fast enough for me at 6'5 230lbs. Poor man's Calvin Johnson.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, so we're going to have the #1 WR in all of the NFL playing 12 games a year, whose cap hits for 2015 = 20.558 mil and 2016 = 24.008... Oh wait Lewand and Mayhew will extend Calvin after next year, playing 12 games and rarely practicing all while having more drop issues but the extension saves cap space and guarantees keeping someone who very well be in a deeper decline than anticipated or acknowledged by the dumb and dumber duo..... makes sense...

Tough crowd in here. Calvin Johnson has missed 6 games in 7 years and has almost 10,000 yards over that time period. In the last 3 years, he is averaging 1700 yards and 11 touchdowns and people are still complaining about him.

Over the last 3 years, as I stated, he has set the NFL record for most receiving yards over any 3 year span in the history of the NFL -- yet people are talking about him as if he is the walking dead already.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think for one moment people are complaining about Calvin. He has had 7 years in the league and is now beginning to show some wear and tear. When you cannot practice but maybe once a week, that is a sign to be prepared for the inevitable... He won't be around for ever and you've seen what happens when he is out of the line-up. Do you really think he's worth 20-24 mil a year in cap hits ?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the perfect example of a guy who should be on the board in the 2nd round when the Lions draft. They have Cooks being a 2nd round pick. Would anyone be upset if Detroit took someone like Mack or Barr with their 1st pick or even traded down and took Dix, Pryor, Gilbert or whoever and then got a player like Cooks in the 2nd round?

I think that would be a tremendous 1st two rounds of the draft.

All I know is -- the WRs in this draft can flat out FLY. They have 17 guys who have run a 4.40 and under. 10 guys who have run 4.35 and under. WOW.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough crowd in here. Calvin Johnson has missed 6 games in 7 years and has almost 10,000 yards over that time period. In the last 3 years, he is averaging 1700 yards and 11 touchdowns and people are still complaining about him.

Over the last 3 years, as I stated, he has set the NFL record for most receiving yards over any 3 year span in the history of the NFL -- yet people are talking about him as if he is the walking dead already.

LOL, I know right? Best non QB player in the NFL. Like he isn't supposed to get nicked up here and there with his workload. Hell even AP blew a knee out and made a sick comeback. CJ had a minor cleanup procedure.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the perfect example of a guy who should be on the board in the 2nd round when the Lions draft. They have Cooks being a 2nd round pick. Would anyone be upset if Detroit took someone like Mack or Barr with their 1st pick or even traded down and took Dix, Pryor, Gilbert or whoever and then got a player like Cooks in the 2nd round?

I'll bet you anything Cooks isn't available for the Lions in round 2 if they hold their pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think he's worth 20-24 mil a year in cap hits ?

When he has averaged 1700 yards and 11 touchdowns while drawing double and triple teams all game long -- He is absolutely worth every penny.

Johnson opens up the offense for everyone else. Teams drop their safeties 20 yards off the line of scrimmage because of CJ, which opens up the running game and gives the RB room to catch the ball in open space out of the backfield.

He demands a double team basically every play, meaning the other WRs are facing single coverage all game long.

He makes it easier on the OL, because teams are only putting 7 in the box, so they aren't facing a ton of blitzes or teams stacking the line of scrimmage.

If there is any player on the Lions who has earned every penny he was signed for -- it is Calvin Johnson. Until his production drops, which by the way, the last 3 years were his 3 best seasons, he has earned every last cent.