• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Warford makes us all feel a little giddy. When was the last time the Lions took someone that good, that late in the draft?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans just ran a 4.47 which is pretty damn good

WOW -- I wasn't expecting that from him. I would have no problem if Detroit wants to draft WR at #10 if they took him now.

Detroit can move Durham to the slot and give the Lions two 6'5" and a 6'6" WRs. LOL. They'd look like a basketball team. HAHA.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans route running isnt terrible considering his size. Whoever gets him wont be taking him for his route running at all. His natural ability and presence is what is special about him. Calvin needed help with his route running coming in too.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

I get your point, I just see it a bit different. I think CJ's compliment needs to be a top guy. Waiting until the second is risky to me. Evans has blown away his combine so far and Mayock said he's top 15. Lee and Watkins are still waiting.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't vote. Hell, I'm not even that crazy about pizza.

Last edited by a moderator:

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin needed help with his route running coming in too.
This. Calvin worked hard every offseason to better his route running skills. Evans can learn tremendously from him as they have similar body types.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that value drops in the 2nd round. The point I was trying to make is -- if you have big holes at WR and OLB, and there is 12 WRs considered 1 or 2nd round talents, and only 5 or 6 guys considered 1st or 2nd round talents at OLB. If Detroit goes WR 1st, their may not even be an OLB on the board in 2nd round they want.

Detroit doesn't need just one WR. They actually need one to play outside opposite Calvin Johnson, as well as one to play in the slot. So the idea that they wouldn't like any of the WRs on the board in the 2nd round doesn't really hold water with me. They already have the most dominate WR in the game, they just need someone to complement him now and be reliable.

I completely agree with your assessment on 5-6 OLB's. I'm specifically looking for 3-down LB's, of course we will still be in nickel and dime packages at times. The only LB's that my eyes have shown the ability to stay on the field in 3rd down would be Mack, Shazier, VanNoy and possibly Dee Ford (he doesn't have the experience in coverage but showed he could at the Senior Bowl).

WR's possibly still available in the 2nd round at our pick, #45, could be Cooks, Landry, Robinson, Matthews. Anyone of those appears to be an improvement over Patrick Edwards or Corey Fuller.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Marqise Lee, Kelvin Benjamin, Odell Beckham, Allen Robinson, Brandin Cooks, Jordan Matthews, Jarvis Landry, Davante Adams, Paul Richardson, Martavis Bryant, and Robert Herron.

That is 13 WR's that CBS projects to be worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick. Add to that a flooded WR free agent market and you really believe that the Lions need a #2 WR so desparately they use the #10 overall pick to get one? Mind you, we do have the best #1 WR on the planet.
If I were an oddsmaker, I would put the odds of the Lions picking a WR with the #10 pick at around 15% and that is only if Watkins is still on the board. Absent that, I would drop the odds sown to around 5-7%.
The good thing is you will have something to talk about all the way to September because the Lions didn't listen to you.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions dont need a small guy like Cooks to be a #2.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. Calvin worked hard every offseason to better his route running skills. Evans can learn tremendously from him as they have similar body types.

Hell, if you want to get down to basics then every single college wr coming into the NFL needs to improve their route running.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I do Jalopy. Odds are far greater than that. Those other guys you listed dont have what Watkins and Evans have. The Lions actually need a couple WRs.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions dont need a small guy like Cooks to be a #2.

Exactly. Mayhew has stated that they need another WR that can make plays by himself if CJ isn't in the game. Watkins and Evans seem to be those guys. Of course, there will be some bumps for Evans, but I think if CJ takes him under his wings, he will shine sooner than later.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell, if you want to get down to basics then every single college wr coming into the NFL needs to improve their route running.
That wasn't my point. Even the stud that is CJ had to work on things. People wanna tear Evans apart by saying his route running isn't the greatest, I simply stated that CJ had to work to get where he's at as well. It didn't just happen overnight.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think CJ's compliment needs to be a top guy.

Why would the best WR in the game need to have a top guy playing across the field from him? Would it make the offense better? Absolutely. But as I said -- the offense has ranked 5th, 3rd and 6th in the last 3 years, so not sure they need an elite talent as their #2 WR.

What Detroit needs is a WR that can create separation and has reliable hands -- Does that mean they have to spend a top 10 pick on one? I'm not so sure, unless the player is just too good to pass up.

If the other needs they have are at Safety, OLB, CB or whatever on defense and you have the choice of an elite talent at one of those positions or an elite WR. Personally, I'd rather see them go defense 1st, as they will be able to get a high quality WR in the 2nd round, because of the depth in this draft.

The way I see it -- Whoever Detroit drafts at WR just has to be a player who can beat single coverage, as everyone knows they will not be doubled with Calvin on the field.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Big Blue. Route running is far more important in the NFL. In college, these guys are unpolished athletes. Even the "freaks" such as Calvin, AP, Peepers, etc had things to learn.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin is aging and getting beat up. He wont be elite forever.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish somebody did a study to see how athletes that skyrocket up the charts due to a strong combine correlates to the odds of success/bust.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was the xase, why would the Lions draft guys like Ansah if they already have an elite player on the dline?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin is aging and getting beat up. He wont be elite forever.
So you want to draft CJ's replacement 3 years early and neglect the fact that our corners can't cover their shadow own shadow at high noon.