• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was the xase, why would the Lions draft guys like Ansah if they already have an elite player on the dline?
I'm hardly a defensive expert but I suspect there is at least minor differences in the positions of DT and DE.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those other guys you listed dont have what Watkins and Evans have.

He is stating the same thing I said. Unless half the teams in the NFL draft a WR before the Lions draft in the 2nd round. Detroit would get a high quality pick for the position.

Our other positions of need are very thin if you are looking to draft a stud. OLB -- it is basically Mack and Barr as elite talents, then it drops off from there. Safety is Pryor and Dix, then it drops off from there. CB it is Dennard, Gilbert, Verrett and it drops off from there. WR is, without question, the deepest position in the draft.

Say Detroit takes Mack in round 1. They could get someone like Benjamin, Allen Robinson, Cooks or Beckham in round 2. If they want to find someone to run routes underneath, they could get a guy like Abbrederis in round 4.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that was the xase, why would the Lions draft guys like Ansah if they already have an elite player on the dline?

Going out on a limb and saying DE and DT are two separate positions. At least if you are going to make the comparison -- use Nick Fairley as the example.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin is aging and getting beat up. He wont be elite forever.

Calvin is coming off 3 seasons, where he set the NFL record for most yards in the history of the game, for a 3 year span.

I think he will be alright for 3 or 4 more seasons.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Warford makes us all feel a little giddy. When was the last time the Lions took someone that good, that late in the draft?

Let's see, that would be nineteen-ninety...never.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Big Blue. Route running is far more important in the NFL. In college, these guys are unpolished athletes. Even the "freaks" such as Calvin, AP, Peepers, etc had things to learn.

I should have gone more in depth as the reality of it is; Every single position player whether coming into the NFL from college or even those who have been in the Pro's NEED to continue to develop/hone their specific skill set. People want to talk about Watkins and his 60% screen catch rate forget that he had Hopkins as a wr for 2 yrs., plus you have to consider team scheme/system OCoordinator, QB throwing to the wr. etc.

Believe it or not, Julio Jones was a horrible route runner in college. His speed alone benefitted him more than anything. It was working with Roddy White during camp and 1st regular season that he improved because his athleticism in college wasn't as much of a benefit to him in the pro's versus college.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like this gentelmen; This team is very thin at the position and its a must they get a really good player there for obvious reasons. With the 10th pick, the Lions are set up to get one of the top two guys at the position. There's even an outside chance to land Sammy due to the need of QBs and LTs early. An article on Mlive.com calls the Lion's pick a "hot spot" for a WR. It's true.

The Lions will continue to be linked to the WR throughout the process. My prediction is that Evans can only lose this opportunity by having terrible combine numbers and interviews. Lee is still someone to watch. One of these young guys makes more sense than getting someone out of FA for several reasons.

Looking at FA, there's not much to really like, as it is filled with questionable players with injury histories, bad attitudes or a few that will command big money. Lions wont have to dig too deep to pay a drafted WR. Lions will finally put an end to not having a legit #2.

As far as the second round, it should be some options but 11 or more are said to go in the first. I think the second round is a grest place for the Lions to start looking at defense. There should be CBs, LBs and solid DEs and OTs available.

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but it looks like a hot one. I wanted to respond to the original post before I threw myself in the fruckus.

I agree that WR is a very good possibility based on the combination of our need and available talent. If Sammy Watkins slips to us, he's the guy, period. If he's gone then Mike Evans will be hard to pass on. Two 6'5" 235+ lbs WRs lined up on each side? 5 wide in the red zone with Megaton, Evans, Fauria, Pettigrew, and Durham? All 6'5" or bigger? It'd be fun to watch, that's for sure.

I'll also make a strong case, though, for Mack if he's there. Maybe Barr, as well. I think one of those four guys (Watkins, Evans, Mack, and Barr) will be our pick.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also make a strong case, though, for Mack if he's there. Maybe Barr, as well. I think one of those four guys (Watkins, Evans, Mack, and Barr) will be our pick.
I could live with three of those but not Evans. If the other three are gone there is a good chance someone will want our spot to draft a QB and we could move down. If forced to pick I might go with CJ Mosely.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want to draft CJ's replacement 3 years early and neglect the fact that our corners can't cover their shadow own shadow at high noon.

Two consecutive years of knee issues for Calvin. Two consecutive years Calvin has had drop issues. Does ANYONE in here recall that in October of 2012 Calvin injured his wrist/hand and stated after the season was over that he couldn't even feel the ball in his hand. Do you think maybe that might be a lingering issue ? He rarely practiced this year and the last 6 weeks of the 2012 season. It can take incoming college WR's 2 years just to get acclimated to the pro's before seeing projected production.

I still want Mack at #10 but should Watkins or Evans be there, the I would completely understand either of them being drafted prior to Mack or a CB or a FS....

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelvin Benjamin looks stiff in his running. 2nd round guy.
Mike Evans posted a 4.5. Not fast and not slow and looks fluid out of his stance. 1st round guy.
Odell Beckham posted a 4.30. That's fast. 1st round guy-Giants, Philly, Carolina, Packers
Imo, he just put himself into top-ten consideration if 4.30 stands as his official time.

A lot of what I've read about him mentions the phrase "play-maker" and they talk about his shiftyness and his separation underneath. If he's got that kind of pure deep speed as well he's gotta be a top-15 prospect at the very least, I would think. I've read comparisons to DeSean Jackson, which would suit our offense to a tee, and he's got a fair amount more size then DeSean does, too.

I'm not campaining that we take him at #10 now, just saying he's worked into the fringe of the conversation. If the guy or two or three that we were targeting at #10 is gone we could trade back 5 or 6 spots, draft Beckham, and have an exra 3rd rounder to boot.

He has to be firmly locked in as the #3 WR in the draft if that 40 time stands. Speed, fair size, quicks, SEC, hands... lots to like there...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions dont need a small guy like Cooks to be a #2.

Cooks is an elite player. He would probably do better with a more accurate QB than Staff though.

Right now it's all about Evans at #10. Wouldn't be shocked if he went above Watkins at this point.

Also a guy names Jeff Janis ran a 4.30 at 6'3 220lbs. Wouldn't be upset with him in the third round either.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the drops with Calvin but you can't argue with his production. I think it is Stafford's responsibility to get on his ass about the drops, no one else. As for the knee injuries, it is a concern but there is no reason to think he won't play 12 games/yr for the next 3 years. That is good enough for me. People need to count Bush as a WR also. If he can get his head in the game, he could still be a huge contributor to the passing game. He is our slot WR.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need a sub 4.5 guy as our #2. We need someone who can consistently get off the line, run good routes, and catch the ball.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, he just put himself into top-ten consideration if 4.30 stands as his official time.

A lot of what I've read about him mentions the phrase "play-maker" and they talk about his shiftyness and his separation underneath. If he's got that kind of pure deep speed as well he's gotta be a top-15 prospect at the very least, I would think. I've read comparisons to DeSean Jackson, which would suit our offense to a tee, and he's got a fair amount more size then DeSean does, too.

I'm not campaining that we take him at #10 now, just saying he's worked into the fringe of the conversation. If the guy or two or three that we were targeting at #10 is gone we could trade back 5 or 6 spots, draft Beckham, and have an exra 3rd rounder to boot.

He has to be firmly locked in as the #3 WR in the draft if that 40 time stands. Speed, fair size, quicks, SEC, hands... lots to like there...

If Mack is gone at #10 and the FS's or CB's aren't worthy of top 20 picks in Mayhew's eyes (remember his stance on DB's, he's very tough and critical in choosing them as he played nfl cb) then I'm all for Beckham in the 18-21 range trying to beat out Philly as who knows if Riley Cooper or Maclin come back, Philly could be in need of someone like him (Beckham)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need a sub 4.5 guy as our #2. We need someone who can consistently get off the line, run good routes, and catch the ball.[/QUOTE]

= Beckham, Cooks and they both have sub 4.4 speed to boot... hhhmmmmm

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very torn. I want them to build defense but I would have to pull the trigger on Evans or Watkins. Evans and CJ on the outside would be SICK! Even if they aren't open Stafford could just "throw it up".

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beckham, Cooks and they both have sub 4.4 speed to boot... hhhmmmmm

Rather trade down if they were to grab either one of those guys. Somewhere around #20.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could live with three of those but not Evans. If the other three are gone there is a good chance someone will want our spot to draft a QB and we could move down. If forced to pick I might go with CJ Mosely.

I wasn't too high on Evans up until about a week ago... long story short is that I saw a quote from a personnel man that Evans is considered to have the best ball skills in a decade. Another one compared called him a "poor man's Calvin Johnson with Moss-esque ball tracking ability."

Needless to say I was intrigued. His highlight tapes (of course they make him look good... they're fucking highlight tapes, I know. But alas-) don't dissapoint. He has real knack for making the over-the-shoulder grab with a huge catch radius, and is adept on the back-shoulder fades as well.

Basically, I thought he was just a size freak, till I started to dig deeper. He's a size freak with fair speed, good overall athleticism, and supreme body control. He's got good hands, a long frame, and a great catching radius. His ability to high-point the ball comes up in almost all the pre-draft stuff I've read as well.

One other comparison I keep seeing is Vincet Jackson. I'd give up the #10 pick for Vincent Jackson.

Out of the 4 I mentioned, he'd be 4th, but I'd be very excited for our offense if we landed him. Keep an open mind on him and see if your opinion changes in coming weeks...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooks is an elite player. He would probably do better with a more accurate QB than Staff though.

Right now it's all about Evans at #10. Wouldn't be shocked if he went above Watkins at this point.

Also a guy names Jeff Janis ran a 4.30 at 6'3 220lbs. Wouldn't be upset with him in the third round either.

Isn't that the local kid from SVSU?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the drops with Calvin but you can't argue with his production. I think it is Stafford's responsibility to get on his ass about the drops, no one else. As for the knee injuries, it is a concern but there is no reason to think he won't play 12 games/yr for the next 3 years. That is good enough for me. People need to count Bush as a WR also. If he can get his head in the game, he could still be a huge contributor to the passing game. He is our slot WR.

Yep, so we're going to have the #1 WR in all of the NFL playing 12 games a year, whose cap hits for 2015 = 20.558 mil and 2016 = 24.008... Oh wait Lewand and Mayhew will extend Calvin after next year, playing 12 games and rarely practicing all while having more drop issues but the extension saves cap space and guarantees keeping someone who very well be in a deeper decline than anticipated or acknowledged by the dumb and dumber duo..... makes sense....:doh: