• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was tpaulus_2 on the CBS board...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most everyone is here now except GNP and Rolling Thunder and The_Pride.

Even Shoktard made his way here. He is not even that annoying anymore. I think CBS being so bad made everyone much more irritable when posting.

There is another thread or 2 in the list that everyone logged into to introduce themselves again, but I think one got deleted because someone (LOL) kept reposting pictures of scantily clad young ladies.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GNP said he'll be making an account here when he gets around to it...

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Pride and thundr? They were two CBS staples...

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sportsline's Lions page still allows posts in the main page. Maybe somebody should post there to tell them to come here. I've already tried it seems that they haven't seen it.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still happy about the draft, but something tells me we will be complaining about our 2nd round pick.....i just think if carradine or te'o or even the honey badger end up being pretty good, we will wonder why we picked slay....i hope im wrong and slay ends up being a solid CB that we have needed over the years.....but something tells me te'o might be real good and we could of used a face at LB to make plays for years....and im not a ND fan....just think te'o can play and he was hurt by the hoax, one bad game against a great team, and a bad pro day...but IMO he can play football.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tweet from Twentyman,

"Martin Mayhew told 97.1 that Ziggy was the 3rd-rated player on their board. Didn't say who was 1 or 2. I'm guessing it was the two tackles."

If Fisher/Joeckel had fallen to the Mayhew would have taken them over Ansah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were not fooling anyone. OT was a high priority, but only if they could get an elite player. They passed on some decnt OT in round 2 because they must have figured it did not make sense if they might not be better than Reiff

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slay was considered a 1st round talent. He slid due to the meniscus injury.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GNP said he'll be making an account here when he gets around to it...

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Pride and thundr? They were two CBS staples...

I left a message at CBS as well too.

Not sure if Meow came back either

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meow is Dr. Evil-er

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banks was the higher rated CB. But Slay was highly thought of and if he projects as a better press cover then it's hard to argue.

I am not sure Joeckel or Fisher were ever in Mayhew's plans. I think it was Ziggy from the end of the senior bowl. Only Mayhew knows for sure.

Warford please keep the weight under control and you may be the best o-lineman in the draft. Where Chance Womack had DJ Fluker and Barrett Jones, Micheal Williams, and Lacy Warford had well a bollow average Kentucky team and he held his own vs Jesse Williams, Logan, Johnson, act.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Ask my friends. I got no pride. lol I was Grail Knight.

Though you better hope Pride doesnt see that post. Might be fighting words there. lol

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Still happy about the draft, but something tells me we will be complaining about our 2nd round pick.....i just think if carradine or te'o or even the honey badger end up being pretty good, we will wonder why we picked slay....i hope im wrong and slay ends up being a solid CB that we have needed over the years.....but something tells me te'o might be real good and we could of used a face at LB to make plays for years....and im not a ND fan....just think te'o can play and he was hurt by the hoax, one bad game against a great team, and a bad pro day...but IMO he can play football.

Good post. And not because I currently don't like the Slay pick or wish we had drated Te'o. I'm actually very satisfied with our draft.

Would I have preferred a LB with our 2nd round pick? Yes. I really wanted Arthur Brown or Sio Moore.

But if Slay becomes a staple of our secondary and possibly also contributes in the return game I will quickly forget about any disappointments I had about him being the pick. Watching his highlights I can certainly see why the Lions drafted him. But just like Ziggy, he's a raw talent and will take some development.

This really was a risky draft. Even Warford has risk associated with him due to his weight. But I like that Schwartz & Mayhew didn't go safe with a self preservation type of draft. They went big. They wanted to add a future stud pass rasher, future stud CB and future stud interior OL. You can't blame them for trying. Although if this draft busts they will certainly both be fired.

However, the ironic thing is that we won't know if this draft busts for 2-3 years. So by drafting projects they kind of did go the self preservation route in a way. They bought themselves at least an extra year before this draft can be judged. Of course if our free agent signings bust and we go 5-11 again they'll probably be fired regardless of this draft. But there is no way we will know if Ziggy & Slay were good draft picks based on just their rookie seasons.

Regarding Te'o, I like him. I think he will have a very nice career with the Chargers. I wouldn't have minded the Lions picking him. I just personally preferred Brown & Moore better as LB prospects. Both have higher ceilings and fit better with the Lions immediate OLB needs.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post shok...

I agree, the lions grew some balls this year and swung for the fences. I give them credit for trying. But thats why i think betting big on te'o would of took it to the next level. Might he be a bust? Maybe. I just like the reward if he happens to be the player he was before the alabama game. Maybe im just reaching. I live in chicagonand had to watch as urlacher was the face of their great defense for years. I miss having that type of player since we had speilman. I remember a few years back wanting laurenitus for that same reason.

But in no way am i dissing the slay pick. Just think te'o might be that face we needed. But its all a crap shoot so u never know. Just sick of the lions crapping out.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just sick of the lions crapping out.

Amen to that. I toss and turn at night sometimes just obsessing over different moves that we've made over the years or failed to make. I get really sick and tired of watching other teams find levels of success Lions fans can only dream about. I would love to live to see the day the Lions build a winner.

I don't think passing on Te'o will become one of the more haunting regrets in Lions history. But who knows? He might be the next Junior Seau. I know Charger fans hope that.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teo Probably ended up in the best situation he could have hoped for.....San Diego is a homestead for the Island boys......If he can't succeed there then it's a bust, But the situation is right for him.......The Chargers will clamor over him and buy jerseyes and support him.....It is California and even if he's gay (not saying he is) it's more acceptable out west....

If he can play he will be fine in San Diego, If he's slow and gets beat alot it won't last long.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the camp battle for the top 3 corners will be pretty good.

1. Houston
2. Slay
3. Bentley
4. Green

IMO

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i think SD was te'os dream team.....good fit all around.