• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100% with JDW. The Lions started out on fire in the draft, but fizzled out after the Warford pick. For some reason -- It seems like Mayhew was infatuated with potential instead of production in this draft.

Taylor from South Carolina is a guy with potential, but his numbers dropped each year as a starter for the Gamecocks.

Trading down almost 30 spots from 137 in the 5th round and getting pick 199 was confusing to me. Not as confusing as selecting a punter with one good year in college, who they could have drafted at 245 in the 7th or signed him as a UDFA. The analysts got a good chuckle out of that pick.

Not taking an OLB was the other thing I didn't like about the draft. Unless the players the Lions have for the other OLB spot have progressed tremendously, it is still going to be a really weak spot for the Lions and our run defense is going to struggle again.

All in all -- I give the Lions a B/B+ with the potential to be an A if Ansah pans out for the 1st 3 rounds, but a D for the last 4 rounds.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last thing -- I think we can put to bed the talk about the BPA approach, as the Lions most definitely didn't use that approach this year.

Holes at DE, CB, WR and OL -- 1st 4 picks -- DE, CB, OL, DE. Drafting a punter in the 5th round MOST DEFINITELY wasn't BPA. Then taking a WR. Drafting a blocking TE after losing your blocking TE.

About the only pick in the draft they may have went with BPA is the Theo Riddick pick. Though I guess the Ansah pick could have been BPA as well.

ShadowJ20

I'm Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe the Warford pick was the BPA. Sure OG was a need but Warford was considered a second round pick, possibly a first if rare guards like Cooper and Warmack weren't in the draft.

With the left overs I think Ansah could possibly be the BPA. If Fisher/Joeckel had fallen to them I'm confident Mayhew would have taken them instead of Ansah.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA= biggest potential availalbe right? LOL Mayhew used the BPA approach the last few years. It doesn't change that. But I think he went need in every round this year. We shall see with next year, if Mayhew is still here, what his approach is.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA= biggest potential availalbe right?

Maybe that is the BPA approach Mayhew took this -- the Biggest Potential Available. You may be on to something there Kreton.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year like no other he had to fill needs through the draft. They simply have ZERO money left to fill holes through free agency. That really scares me a little bit because of our tackle situation....I hope Reiff is ready, and I hope Fox or Hilliard is ready to play RT as well. Linehan may have to eliminate slow developing pass plays this year entirely.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Bray went undrafted. Signed with Chiefs.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterman is gone, I'm not concerned.

But Ravioli is not yet. Still reason for some concern.

There is no guarantee Nagy will be the same player he was before the injury and beat him for center. Gandy certainly would have done it by now if he was that good.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking an OLB was the other thing I didn't like about the draft. Unless the players the Lions have for the other OLB spot have progressed tremendously, it is still going to be a really weak spot for the Lions and our run defense is going to struggle again.

The Lions only take guys on defense that can run fast. Whether or not they can actually play the position is completely inconsequential.

I completely agree with your entire assessment.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devin Taylor - Kenny Stills WR / Jessie Williams DT

Sam Martin - Ryan Swope WR / David Quisenberry OT

Corey Fuller - Cornelius Washington DE / DeVonte Hollman OLB / Andre Ellington RB

Theo Riddick - Khalid Whooten CB / Jordan Poyer CB / Joe Kruger DE

Micheal Williams - Eric Herman OG / Zac Dysert QB / Reid Fragel OT

Those would be the way I would have liked to have seen the Lions go in the 4th and beyond. If Mayhew hits on a few studs then I will give him his due but track record indicates that his fishing for potential will not produce great results.

As for Ansah he was the 4-3 DE available and I think he was their pick since the North South game. They didn't go after Avril or any other big name rush ends. I think that was very telling. The OLB spot is a concern as I have doubt about Palmer being the answer.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to brag but...

* Ziggy is the pick at 5
* Riley Reiff is the new starting LT

Called it (again). :clap:

Congrats to the Lions for the best damn fan smoke-screen since the Aaron Curry/Jason Smith/Matthew Stafford debacle of the 2009 draft. Already can't wait until next year!

PS: Good to finally track down you bastards.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hell yeah nice to see you around swarm.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to finally track down you bastards.

What are you going to do with those bastards now that you have tracked them down?

And what about the rest of us?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be so sure about Reiff being the LT. Since the Branden Albert deal fell through with Miami, the Lions have entered the picture according to some reports. Personally I don't know where the money will come from though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting about Albert...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering when Micro was going to tell you. I am pretty sure I saw you guys at mudncleats when I was first looking at sites to join.

This one just seemed far better than the rest to me. It has everything too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering when Micro was going to tell you. I am pretty sure I saw you guys at mudncleats when I was first looking at sites to join.

This one just seemed far better than the rest to me. It has everything too.

Dude this place rocks!:rockon:
I was checking out Lions stories on cbssportsline and saw someone say to come here.

So who's who here now?