• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrw is the furthest thing from a pass catching TE the Lions have ever had. NO way does this guy have shittier hands than pettigrew.

let me repeat myself -- michael williams and larry warford ran almost identical 40 times. hands isn't michael williams problem -- getting open is. LOL.

if he has some catches -- it will be on short yardage or goal line on play action fakes when he is uncovered. he won't be running regular routes like Pettigrew and Scheffler.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really should have picked Chase Thomas. Smart and Aggressive LB. Our LBs are as dumb as dirt.:wacko:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit if Williams can catch? He is a blocker, I don't care if Sims or Warford can catch either.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree -- He has good size, but he is slower than molasses and lacks upper body strength (only 11 reps with 225). Williams would have been laughed out of the combine if he would have received an invite. He ran a 5.40 at his pro day, which means he really runs in the 5.5 to 5.6 range. What I don't get is -- the guy has a 36" vertical, yet can't run a lick.

He actually ran a 5.2 at his pro day, not good by a mile, but still not as slow as the numbers you're offering.

He was also coming off an elbow injury, so his bench numbers were way off normal...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, we took him in the 7th round. The 7th.

I know it is the 7th round -- I just said I didn't like the pick and gave you my reason why. I also felt the need to explain to you that he was never going to replace Scheffler or Pettigrew, as that isn't the type of TE he is.

I'm guessing you didn't know how slow he was when you originally made your comments. It is alright though to disagree with each other on a pick. That is why this is a discussion board.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrw is the furthest thing from a pass catching TE the Lions have ever had. NO way does this guy have shittier hands than pettigrew.

That's wierd, I could swear he holds our single season record for receptions by a TE.

Don't be reactionary and let his drops overshadow all the catches he makes...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Measurables

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 278 lbs.

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 5.4 seconds

This is what I found on him. That is why I said his 40 time was actually in the 5.5 to 5.6 range, as it is hand held at the pro days.

needless to say -- whether he runs a 5.2, 5.4 or 5.6 -- he isn't going to be running alot of vertical routes as a TE.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draftscout.com has his low at a 4.98, his high at a 5.28 and his pro day time at 5.20.

We can agree, though, that he's slower than 90% of TEs in the league.

He's basically a smallish OT with soft hands. An extra blocker who can slip into openings in the defensive zone. Will Heller part two.

He'll fill a specific need and looks like the right guy for the job...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15 more picks till were up for the last time...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams can't run fast, and Stafford can't tackle. Our team is doomed...DOOOOOOMED!!!!!

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't like our athletic young tackles? I think they each have more potential and higher ceilings then the guys who they are replacing.

Reiff makes me nervous, but I'm hopeful. The other side has the makings of a disaster, as I see it. I hope I'm proven wrong. If I am, it'll be by Fox, not Hilliard.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people forget what the 5th through 7th round is all about. They are not about finding players to replace who you have in the future. Its not about finding players that will play a role this year. Those rounds are more about simply taking chances on players, hoping beyond hope you find a gem that isnt expected. That and adding to the practice squad.

If the TE has pine tar feet but it turns out he can catch a little, and block very well, and he turns into the fullback lead blocker they used Reiff as last year? It is a good pick. Remember, the Lions best runs every week came when they used a lead blocker (usually Reiff) but they only used it once or twice a week. With Reiff playing LT now, they needed someone new who has a chance to clear the holes that our O-line opens. Maybe he is the guy.

Maybe the pass catching RB is not expected to be very good but what if he is one of those hidden gems? Maybe he isnt as good as Kevin Smith, but we dont know that for sure yet. He hasnt played in the NFL yet. The only thing we know for fact is that Kevin Smith is not that good! So there is never anything wrong with taking a RB in the late rounds and just seeing what he has hidden. Best wont be playing and if something was to happen to Bush? Though its a slim chance, maybe this rookie has something unexpected.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see the Lions either take Johnny Adams or bring him in as an undrafted FA. I thought he was a solid player for MSU.

Last pick of the draft. I'm going out on a limb and saying the same thing I've said for their last 3 picks. Take Da'Rick Rogers. Bigger WR, runs in the high 4.4 to low 4.5 and has a 39" vertical. Definitely worth the 245th pick. LOL.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Adams as a UDFA. Basically that whole list I have left would be great guys to bring in, imo.

I know we don't need another WR, but I'd roll the dice on Rogers for sure this late...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, Grail. Every round of the draft should be about trying to find someone to help your team now, if it's needed. If no one's there that can help now, or if you aren't hurting for help now, then you can look to the future and take chances.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's wierd, I could swear he holds our single season record for receptions by a TE.

Don't be reactionary and let his drops overshadow all the catches he makes...

His drops do overshadow his catches for me. There is no Lions past or present that I dislike more than Pettigrew.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed the draft today, but i did check to see when dennard robinson gat drafted since he was the tie breaker in our draft game........

Originally Posted by Kreton

"dennard robinson goes in the 5th round to jacksonville with the 135th pick......hopefully it comes out OK to read and not too jumbled...got a 3 and 5 yr old screaming in my ear as i do this lol........dont forget...this is CLEAVES2000.".........

That was the other day......,and people said i didnt know what i was talking about when it came to dennard....knew he wasnt a 3rd or 4th rounder.......figured a dumb franchise like the jags or lions would draft him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, he catches a helluva lot more than he drops.

I can live with the drops, but those two key fumbles he had last year are killer for me.

From what I can see, it's a simple coaching issue- he doesn't focus on the ball! So many of these NFL players have been special their whole careers that they don't get the basic coaching they need. In football the ball is key. Catch the ball and look it in. Tuck it high and tight. Always- always, always always think about the ball when it's in your hands. Worry about catching and securing the ball and then turn upfield.

Pettigrew gets ahead of himself by thinking about the play ahead of him as he's catching the ball... wrong order...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 more picks till we're up