• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 2014 Lions Draft Thread

Best Option for the Lions at #10

• Anthony Barr

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Sammy Watkins

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Best CB Available (Dennard or Gilbert)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Other

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a chance. I dont want him in the first two rounds and maybe not in the third. The whole spine thing scares me. We dont want a guy who will only last a year or two.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on guys. He was projected to the lions the past 2 months. He has tremendous upside. Plus, it was too early to take a guard. You can't critisize the lions for not doing what no one else would do either. DE was a more pressing need than CB anyway. 3/4 of our secondary is proven starters. That's a good enough start. Theres enough DB depth that we can get a Darius Slay or a Johnathon Banks in the 2nd round. You can't be dissapointed with what you see coming. Yea i would have rather have had milliner or cooper/warmack, But im not dissapointed, it was still a position of need. High Risk, high reward.

too early to take a guard?!?! guards were taken with the 7th and 10th pick. with the new rookie pay scale -- there is very few positions that you can consider 'too early' to draft. a couple years ago -- i would agree with that argument, but not in today's NFL.

i don't hate the pick, as ansah has a high ceiling, but i hate the fact that the lions track record in developing talent is non-existent. with the #5 pick, i would have much rather have seen them take a safe player, who you could pencil in for the next 10 years.

it really doesn't suprise me though that they took Ansah, as he was the one player I stated I hoped they wouldn't take. it honestly reminds me of the Pistons when they had the #2 pick and instead of taking players like Chris Bosh or Dwayne Wade -- they took Darko Milicic, the 7 footer with the huge upside.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your mantra is best available player, then you do that, but Best available, and best potential player are two different things. The proverb among coaches is: "that kid's potential is gonna get me fired."

Here's praying Ansah quickly develops and lives up to the potential.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be fine with Ansah IF they get a good CB still. But Slay doesnt work for me. Until less than a week ago, he wasnt listed as more than a third rounder to my knowledge. I am sick to death of the Lions hoping 3rd and 4th round CB will work out. We dont need that. We dont need a CB who just happen to get some hype in the last week. Trufant or Rhodes in my book!

I don't think there is a chance in hell the Lions draft Trufant or Rhodes. I think both will be long gone before the Lions draft.

I do get a chuckle out of the post earlier stating the Lions have drafted zero CBs in the 1st two rounds in the last decade. I just don't see why they refuse to spend top picks on that position? I honestly don't expect them to spend a 2nd rounder on CB either -- I would almost be willing to wager they spend another 2nd rounder on a WR again.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
grades from our fave site

talk about the kiss of death. having prisco give you an A+, all but guarantees that Ansah will suffer some sort of injury and miss the entire season.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ansah is the guy I wanted. He is a beast. He hadn't touched a weight in his life before football but you cant tell by looking at him. He is raw but he is physically gifted. Also he wont be getting in any trouble ever so thats a plus.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THey absolutely need to find a way to get one of the top three CBs still. If they cant stop the pass, the DE will never have enough time to get to the QB. As we saw happen over and over last year! Taking a DE in the first is no big help if you cant complete the secondary and give him a chance to succeed.

I'm assuming by most of your comments you don't think the 3 cb's we drafted last year will develop into anything. I personally like Houston on one side...and I think Bentley, Greenwood, and Green all have good potential. I love the Quinn signing. Delmas actually worries me more than the corners(because of his health issues). I think having an elite pass rusher in this defensive scheme is more important than corner. And I believe Ansah could be elite.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Phil Emery! Two years in a row now with these epic reach picks.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coach.... What about the three CBs we took last year makes you believe in any of them? Bentley is good if he can guess and take a chance but he will be beat on that a lot just like Alphonso Smith was. None of them played well and gave me no reason to believe they will be more than nickle backs. The fact that the Lions drafted 3 of them last year only says they didnt believe in any of them at the time either. Why take more guys if you really believe you got a good one to begin with? Drafting three says they were just hoping they would get lucky with one. Then this year they have been quoted saying they need to get bigger and faster at CB. THat does not say much for their faith in those three either.

I have no reason to believe any of them will ever be a good starting CB and I have reasons to believe they wont. It is time the Lions finally added a real talent at the spot. Something they have not done in a draft in my memory!

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greenwood was hurt. He has a rare combination of size and speed. He may not be a Dee Milliner, but im sure he can hold his own. Bentley showed some flashes, still not a dee milliner, but being in the system for a year, he'd be better suited than milliner to play right away. Green progressed real well. None may be as talented as milliner, but our secondary is definately not as bad as many people thing. Dont forget about Ron Bartell either.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming by most of your comments you don't think the 3 cb's we drafted last year will develop into anything. I personally like Houston on one side...and I think Bentley, Greenwood, and Green all have good potential. I love the Quinn signing. Delmas actually worries me more than the corners(because of his health issues). I think having an elite pass rusher in this defensive scheme is more important than corner. And I believe Ansah could be elite.

The issue many have with the 3 CBs drafted last year is -- Detroit drafted quantity over quality. They spent 3 picks on the position with the hopes one of them pan out to be a quality player. Bentley didn't look good in his short audition before getting injured. Greenwood played against D-3 competition, so no one knows what he will bring to the table playing against elite athletes. Jonte Green looked promising for a 6th round pick, but I'm not sure he will be more than a backup or nickel back.

The signing of Quin and re-signing of Delmas will definitely improve the secondary, but they still need to find a CB to pair with Houston. Personally, I would have much rather the Lions drafted Milliner than Ansah. Ansah is a boom or bust pick and has only played football for 3 years. He has the physical ability, but doesn't have the technique or football moves right now as a pass rusher. He relied solely on his strength and speed at BYU, but in the NFL, you need more than that. Obviously though -- he has the intangibles you can't teach (speed and strength) -- they have said he is a quick study, so maybe he will learn the moves and techniques needed to be an elite DE in the NFL.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of them develop into a good starter, I will be very surprised. Even if they do, it may be another two years before they do. I am just plain sick of the secondary allowing bad QBs to complete over 60% against us and the Lions refusing to draft the best CB in the draft when they are sitting there for them.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Phil Emery! Two years in a row now with these epic reach picks.

AMEN. i thought FOR SURE they would draft Tyler Eiffert. If the Bears had an elite TE, that offense would be really tough to stop. Definitely not complaining though. LOL.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGH -- Sharrif Floyd slips from the top 5 to the 23rd pick and goes to the Vikings. I would have rather he went to a team outside our division.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colts take bjoern werner. There goes back to back DE's for us. hahahahaha but really, if xavier rhodes is there at any point after 25, mayhew needs to trade up. 2nd and 5th should do it

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you know Werner is the pick for the Colts? they haven't announced anything and I thought they weren't putting anything on Twitter before announcing it?