• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 10000 posts for a Husker Conference Championship Thread

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations, graduates — this is a big moment. Not on graduating high school but on making the journey down the stairs from your bedroom to the living room and putting on something slightly more formal than sweatpants. Your grandparents are proud of you, we’re all proud of you, it took a lot of effort, we want to recognize your sacrifice.

Congratulations, parents, teachers, coaches — not that there is really any major distinction among those categories anymore at this point. If you’re a parent, you’re a teacher. Thanks a lot, China.

We’re all teachers now, and let’s be honest — at the start of this, most people thought we’d be visionary math teachers, changing the world. After about two weeks, we all decided to just default to gym teachers. I’m kidding. My dad was a gym teacher. I’m serious. He used to teach English and social studies, but he always aspired to get to gym so he didn’t have to put on formal clothes everyday and he could wear the same sort of sweats that most of you are wearing, from the bottom half down, anyway. But, anyway — I know, Dad, gym is important — if you’re watching, Dad — as if he’s watching! My children aren’t at his house and, like all grandparents, there’s no chance he can get Zoom to work without my children there.

Graduates: Adults don’t tell you this, but once or twice a week in real-world life someone’s going to ask you to climb a giant rope. No reason, just climb the rope. Sure, every now and then, the rope is a metaphor, but honestly most of the time it’s just a big rope, and you have to climb it. If you don’t get that joke, talk to your mom and dad. Back in the day, when we were a lot fitter than you people are, we used to have to climb a rope all the way up to the ceiling of the gym all the time.

So: gym teachers — those of you who chose to do it as a calling and those of you who have been forced into it as a calling, I salute you.

So here we are, in your living room, I’m on a laptop, you’re on a couch, because 2020 is a heck of a year.

I know I’m not supposed to say this but you’re not missing out on that much, because nobody — and honestly by nobody I mean nobody — remembers anything about their high school graduation. In fact, a lot of us spent a lot of our lives trying to forget as much about high school as we possibly can. You know what I mean, you remember sophomore year. You don’t want these memories to be defining for you.

In fact, there are a whole bunch of people who make a whole bunch of money by just trying to help other people forget high school. They’re called psychologists. In fact, 95% of all gainfully employed psychologists — and I’m serious, there are dozens of them who are gainfully employed — their job is really just to help people forget high school. And the other 5%, they just research hamsters who got lost in mazes. Which, come to think of it, is a lot like high school, and that’s why we want to forget it. The hamsters also need their own psychologists.

Here’s what I’m trying to say: There will always be money to be made in psychology. No, that’s a joke. Do not — if you’re heading to college — do not major in psychology. That part’s not a joke.

But like I was saying: Nobody remembers their high school graduation — except for you guys. You guys are going to be the first generation in human history to actually have your high school graduation seared into your memory. You’re going to be at your class reunion in 25 or 30 years, and people 30 years out of high school are really old — by the way, I graduated high school 30 years ago this month so thanks for rubbing it in — and you’re going to say stuff at your high school reunion service ceremonies like, “Remember that time that China started a big global pandemic that created the worst public health crisis in over a century and brought the economy to its knees and we had to stay at home and everybody was hoarding toilet paper and we all watched this documentary about some weird dude that raised tigers?” Uhhh, yeah, it’ll be pretty hard to forget that.

So you guys have this silver lining: You’re going to remember your high school graduation. Nobody else has ever remembered their high school graduation, you’re going to remember it. You’re graduating in your living room and you’re having a senator come talk to you about some dude named Joe Exotic? But that’s probably the least weird thing that happened this last month because we haven’t even started talking about murder hornets yet.

That’s right, murder hornets. Now I know what you’re thinking: It’s not the murder hornet’s fault, if an insect grows up being called a murder hornet, you can’t be surprised when they actually start ripping heads off honeybees. I get it, that’s a pretty good point, we all sort of do grow into our names, and by the way, that’s why everybody named Jeremy is the worst. Sorry, Jeremy, not my fault, blame your mom and dad.

Anyway, the murder hornets, they’re in Washington state and they’re really bad, but the murder hornets, they’re not as bad as the black hole. In case you haven’t noticed, if you haven’t been reading, and you should be, because you’ve got time on your hands: Scientists just discovered a black hole that’s four times the size of our sun and it’s apparently in a system that’s visible to the naked eye. Scientists are now going to classify it as a major major bummer.

Why am I giving you all this bad news? Well, between the pandemic and the murder hornets and the fact that the Tiger King lady definitely killed her husband and the black hole — that shouldn’t be between, it should be among, but among all those things, your being stuck at home for graduation is really not even a top 100 problem.

But I get it. This isn’t the way you wanted today to go down, and all joking aside you are graduating in the midst of two crises. We’ve got a public health crisis, which is real, and many of us know people who have been suffering for the health reasons, and we’ve got an economic crisis on our hands, and all of you are going to be navigating that. You’re entering the world, you’re moving from basically the end of childhood to the start of adulthood, at a time when the economy has some pretty ugly prognostication coming. It’s hit our state hard, it’s probably hit your family, it’s hit our whole country, and nobody knows exactly how we’re going to beat this thing. But, you know what, we’re Americans, we’re Nebraskans, we’ve got grit, and we’re going to beat this thing.

We’ll bring the economy back, we are going to beat the virus, we’ve got five different pharmaceutical companies doing amazing research to develop a vaccine. We’re going to a have to have a serious reckoning with the thugs in China who let this mess spiral out of control by lying about it.

Your generation is going to have a big calling. You’re going to have to deal with the consequences of all this, and you’re entering adulthood during an incredibly disruptive time.

But you know what that means? It means the fact that you’re going to need grit and determination and resilience isn’t just euphemism, it isn’t just rhetoric, it’s reality, and here’s the good news: You all have the potential to have grit and have resilience and have determination and to get through this. That’s actually what your late night study sessions and your early morning practices gave you. That’s what they were about. That’s what your parents and teachers tried to instill in you and that’s what makes our state great and that’s what’s going to pull us through this thing. You’re going to pull us through this thing.

Your commencement today … what does commencement mean? It’s the end of your high school but we call it commencement, which means beginning. Why? Because it’s the beginning of the set of callings you have from here. You’re going to do it, you’re going to get it done, we’re going to be proud of you again, and we are proud of you today. Your families and your communities are proud of you. I’m proud of you but you don’t really know me. The important thing is your families and your communities are proud of you. Git ‘er done.

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations, graduates — this is a big moment. Not on graduating high school but on making the journey down the stairs from your bedroom to the living room and putting on something slightly more formal than sweatpants. Your grandparents are proud of you, we’re all proud of you, it took a lot of effort, we want to recognize your sacrifice.

Congratulations, parents, teachers, coaches — not that there is really any major distinction among those categories anymore at this point. If you’re a parent, you’re a teacher. Thanks a lot, China.

We’re all teachers now, and let’s be honest — at the start of this, most people thought we’d be visionary math teachers, changing the world. After about two weeks, we all decided to just default to gym teachers. I’m kidding. My dad was a gym teacher. I’m serious. He used to teach English and social studies, but he always aspired to get to gym so he didn’t have to put on formal clothes everyday and he could wear the same sort of sweats that most of you are wearing, from the bottom half down, anyway. But, anyway — I know, Dad, gym is important — if you’re watching, Dad — as if he’s watching! My children aren’t at his house and, like all grandparents, there’s no chance he can get Zoom to work without my children there.

Graduates: Adults don’t tell you this, but once or twice a week in real-world life someone’s going to ask you to climb a giant rope. No reason, just climb the rope. Sure, every now and then, the rope is a metaphor, but honestly most of the time it’s just a big rope, and you have to climb it. If you don’t get that joke, talk to your mom and dad. Back in the day, when we were a lot fitter than you people are, we used to have to climb a rope all the way up to the ceiling of the gym all the time.

So: gym teachers — those of you who chose to do it as a calling and those of you who have been forced into it as a calling, I salute you.

So here we are, in your living room, I’m on a laptop, you’re on a couch, because 2020 is a heck of a year.

I know I’m not supposed to say this but you’re not missing out on that much, because nobody — and honestly by nobody I mean nobody — remembers anything about their high school graduation. In fact, a lot of us spent a lot of our lives trying to forget as much about high school as we possibly can. You know what I mean, you remember sophomore year. You don’t want these memories to be defining for you.

In fact, there are a whole bunch of people who make a whole bunch of money by just trying to help other people forget high school. They’re called psychologists. In fact, 95% of all gainfully employed psychologists — and I’m serious, there are dozens of them who are gainfully employed — their job is really just to help people forget high school. And the other 5%, they just research hamsters who got lost in mazes. Which, come to think of it, is a lot like high school, and that’s why we want to forget it. The hamsters also need their own psychologists.

Here’s what I’m trying to say: There will always be money to be made in psychology. No, that’s a joke. Do not — if you’re heading to college — do not major in psychology. That part’s not a joke.

But like I was saying: Nobody remembers their high school graduation — except for you guys. You guys are going to be the first generation in human history to actually have your high school graduation seared into your memory. You’re going to be at your class reunion in 25 or 30 years, and people 30 years out of high school are really old — by the way, I graduated high school 30 years ago this month so thanks for rubbing it in — and you’re going to say stuff at your high school reunion service ceremonies like, “Remember that time that China started a big global pandemic that created the worst public health crisis in over a century and brought the economy to its knees and we had to stay at home and everybody was hoarding toilet paper and we all watched this documentary about some weird dude that raised tigers?” Uhhh, yeah, it’ll be pretty hard to forget that.

So you guys have this silver lining: You’re going to remember your high school graduation. Nobody else has ever remembered their high school graduation, you’re going to remember it. You’re graduating in your living room and you’re having a senator come talk to you about some dude named Joe Exotic? But that’s probably the least weird thing that happened this last month because we haven’t even started talking about murder hornets yet.

That’s right, murder hornets. Now I know what you’re thinking: It’s not the murder hornet’s fault, if an insect grows up being called a murder hornet, you can’t be surprised when they actually start ripping heads off honeybees. I get it, that’s a pretty good point, we all sort of do grow into our names, and by the way, that’s why everybody named Jeremy is the worst. Sorry, Jeremy, not my fault, blame your mom and dad.

Anyway, the murder hornets, they’re in Washington state and they’re really bad, but the murder hornets, they’re not as bad as the black hole. In case you haven’t noticed, if you haven’t been reading, and you should be, because you’ve got time on your hands: Scientists just discovered a black hole that’s four times the size of our sun and it’s apparently in a system that’s visible to the naked eye. Scientists are now going to classify it as a major major bummer.

Why am I giving you all this bad news? Well, between the pandemic and the murder hornets and the fact that the Tiger King lady definitely killed her husband and the black hole — that shouldn’t be between, it should be among, but among all those things, your being stuck at home for graduation is really not even a top 100 problem.

But I get it. This isn’t the way you wanted today to go down, and all joking aside you are graduating in the midst of two crises. We’ve got a public health crisis, which is real, and many of us know people who have been suffering for the health reasons, and we’ve got an economic crisis on our hands, and all of you are going to be navigating that. You’re entering the world, you’re moving from basically the end of childhood to the start of adulthood, at a time when the economy has some pretty ugly prognostication coming. It’s hit our state hard, it’s probably hit your family, it’s hit our whole country, and nobody knows exactly how we’re going to beat this thing. But, you know what, we’re Americans, we’re Nebraskans, we’ve got grit, and we’re going to beat this thing.

We’ll bring the economy back, we are going to beat the virus, we’ve got five different pharmaceutical companies doing amazing research to develop a vaccine. We’re going to a have to have a serious reckoning with the thugs in China who let this mess spiral out of control by lying about it.

Your generation is going to have a big calling. You’re going to have to deal with the consequences of all this, and you’re entering adulthood during an incredibly disruptive time.

But you know what that means? It means the fact that you’re going to need grit and determination and resilience isn’t just euphemism, it isn’t just rhetoric, it’s reality, and here’s the good news: You all have the potential to have grit and have resilience and have determination and to get through this. That’s actually what your late night study sessions and your early morning practices gave you. That’s what they were about. That’s what your parents and teachers tried to instill in you and that’s what makes our state great and that’s what’s going to pull us through this thing. You’re going to pull us through this thing.

Your commencement today … what does commencement mean? It’s the end of your high school but we call it commencement, which means beginning. Why? Because it’s the beginning of the set of callings you have from here. You’re going to do it, you’re going to get it done, we’re going to be proud of you again, and we are proud of you today. Your families and your communities are proud of you. I’m proud of you but you don’t really know me. The important thing is your families and your communities are proud of you. Git ‘er done.
I just read all that in 1 second ---fer reals

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD Spielman's twitter account is about social injustice. At least it is not about PJ Fleck.

I enjoyed his toughness that he exhibited when he played. He did whatever the Nebraska coaching staff(both of them) asked of him and did not complain as far as I know.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD Spielman's twitter account is about social injustice. At least it is not about PJ Fleck.

I enjoyed his toughness that he exhibited when he played. He did whatever the Nebraska coaching staff(both of them) asked of him and did not complain as far as I know.

He gone