• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official 10000 posts for a Husker Conference Championship Thread

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m gonna decompress a bit from this season before I have any knee jerk reactions.

I’m not ready to throw in the towel on Martinez after this year based on what I saw his potential was his freshman year. Not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water based on one season.

He didn’t play well, but he also didn’t have much help around him, most notably open receivers to throw to. Not defending his play or giving him a pass but I’m gonna put some space between me and this season before I start to call for his job permanently.

I will say though that it should be an open quarterback competition this spring. AM needs to earn and win the job back
This.
Also, are we recruiting Centers? Cam got better through the season but it would be nice if a play could start without the timing being fucked up from bad snaps.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.
Also, are we recruiting Centers? Cam got better through the season but it would be nice if a play could start without the timing being fucked up from bad snaps.

It's more important to me that he block well in between bad snaps.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would also be helpful.

I haven't been as hard on him as others. He's just a redshirt freshman playing the position for the first time.
Other notable Huskers that moved from guard to center are Aaron Taylor (1994-1997) and Jake Young (1986-1989). Both became 2 time All-Americans.

Dave Remington (the gold standard for centers) had a QB's hands under his ass every snap. How would he or Jake Young have done primarily snapping into a shotgun as sophomores? Aaron Taylor snapped into the shotgun 'occasionally'. However, Tommie Frazier was under center the vast majority of the time.

I doubt it was Jurgens 'snap prowess into the shotgun' that Frost referred to when comparing his potential Dave Remington.

Jurgens has the next 276 days to get it right going into his sophomore season. Nobody will stop him from getting together with Martinez, McCaffery, Vedral, etc., going down to the Hawks Center (on their own time), and working on snapping into the shotgun. It's a regulation indoor football field so yard markers and hash marks are in place.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than snap issues I personally thought Jurgens played well for being undersized, his strength and athleticism showed on a lot of plays. Hixson, Wilson and Farniok seemed to be weak links. Farniok hopefully moves into Guard next year and then not sure if Wilson remains or whomever was Hixsons backup over takes him.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benhardt at RT and maybe Bando at guard or I guess whoever can win the job between him, Hixson, Wilson. Seems like that OL should have high expectations next year with everyone returning and good young talent coming in.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Remington (the gold standard for centers) had a QB's hands under his ass every snap. How would he or Jake Young have done primarily snapping into a shotgun as sophomores? Aaron Taylor snapped into the shotgun 'occasionally'. However, Tommie Frazier was under center the vast majority of the time.

I doubt it was Jurgens 'snap prowess into the shotgun' that Frost referred to when comparing his potential Dave Remington.

Don't want to piss on your point, but Rim also was the long snapper in high school.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want to piss on your point, but Rim also was the long snapper in high school.

Yes, I knew. Rimington was a pure center. That's why I didn't include him when I said this.....

"Other notable Huskers that moved from guard to center are Aaron Taylor (1994-1997) and Jake Young (1986-1989). Both became 2 time All-Americans."

There would be obvious distance difference in long snapping and snapping to a QB in the shotgun.
Not to mention a long snapper is on the field maybe 5 times per game. A play to play center is on the field 70+ snaps per game. Therefore a lot higher chance of an occasional errant snap.

We'll never know how good of a center Rimington would have been snapping into a shotgun 70+ times a game. My point was that is not likely what Frost was referring to when he compared Jurgens to Rimington.

I'm not so sure how Frost would know to compare anyway as Frost was just 6 and 7 years old when Remington was First Team All-American and winning Outland's and Lombardi's at Nebraska. I can only guess Osborne told him that. We can be sure it wasn't Milt Tenopir.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I knew. Rimington was a pure center. That's why I didn't include him when I said this.....

"Other notable Huskers that moved from guard to center are Aaron Taylor (1994-1997) and Jake Young (1986-1989). Both became 2 time All-Americans."

There would be obvious distance difference in long snapping and snapping to a QB in the shotgun.
Not to mention a long snapper is on the field maybe 5 times per game. A play to play center is on the field 70+ snaps per game. Therefore a lot higher chance of an occasional errant snap.

We'll never know how good of a center Rimington would have been snapping into a shotgun 70+ times a game. My point was that is not likely what Frost was referring to when he compared Jurgens to Rimington.

I'm not so sure how Frost would know to compare anyway as Frost was just 6 and 7 years old when Remington was First Team All-American and winning Outland's and Lombardi's at Nebraska. I can only guess Osborne told him that. We can be sure it wasn't Milt Tenopir.
I can't recall if Boomer Esiason ever took a shotgun snap, but I'm thinking strictly drop back passer.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are on twitter and want food ****, follow Block16. damn stuff looks so damn good. i used to work right next to it, the lines were always way too damn long.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't recall if Boomer Esiason ever took a shotgun snap, but I'm thinking strictly drop back passer.

Rimington was only there from '83 - '87, so highly doubtful.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another point to be made is that (to my knowledge) Rimington was not the long snapper at Nebraska or Cincinnati.

He was only a long snapper in high school.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benhardt at RT and maybe Bando at guard or I guess whoever can win the job between him, Hixson, Wilson. Seems like that OL should have high expectations next year with everyone returning and good young talent coming in.
I expect Piper to figure into the mix at guard.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks good, but how do you catch wild caught Gouda??

Yeah. I considered commenting too.

I can only figure they meant 'naturally' smoked gouda.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone said that in the comments, they responded that was meant to be funny.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks good, but how do you catch wild caught Gouda??

Someone said that in the comments, they responded that was meant to be funny.

giphy.gif

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...is there gonna be a new one of these? Not sure if you noticed but 10k came and went.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo change it to 20k, we'll be there next week.