• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Thread The NFL Draft.............

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the Cowboys pick last night. Thought Mazi was the best 1st and 2nd down (think run) DT in this draft. He’s going to demand a double. I think down the line he his pass rush will evolve as well. Great spot for him to do so because of the Cowboys edge rush attracting attention. I had this guy pegged. When others were talking about him going 35-40 I knew he had a great chance of being 1st round. Cowboys got better last night for sure. The Redskins pick was a head scratcher for me. I think there are better prospects on the board when they take him. Think that for the Giants as well. People were raving about Banks press coverage ability…they’re looking at him in college. NFL rules are different. His technique is illegal contact in the NFL. They need a lot of work to do on him.
I refuse to acknowledge the Eagles draft. WTF all of a sudden the last few years Howie's good on draft day too?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I refuse to acknowledge the Eagles draft. WTF all of a sudden the last few years Howie's good on draft day too?
K.I.S.S. system. Instead of trying to out think himself and taking reaches from the PAC 12 or the Big 12, he has finally learned to shop from winners in the SEC. He’s really zoned in on Alabama and Georgia the last few drafts. Can’t believe Brian Branch is still sitting out there. So many teams 15 and beyond took DBs who just aren’t as good a football player as that guy. Tape doesn’t lie. Really hoping Howie packages 62 and 66 and takes a shot if he’s still there at 35-36.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
K.I.S.S. system. Instead of trying to out think himself and taking reaches from the PAC 12 or the Big 12, he has finally learned to shop from winners in the SEC. He’s really zoned in on Alabama and Georgia the last few drafts. Can’t believe Brian Branch is still sitting out there. So many teams 15 and beyond took DBs who just aren’t as good a football player as that guy. Tape doesn’t lie. Really hoping Howie packages 62 and 66 and takes a shot if he’s still there at 35-36.
Additionally, I love the idea of the Eagles having some 3-4 versatility in their group now with Nolan Smith and Redick as book ends. Either guy can drop flat or hook/curl or run with back out (need help deep on wheel though) or they can be a bitch to handle in the pass rush. They already drafted the NT type in Jordan Davis last year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think he is going to be a real good player and a steal at this point, but I'd say some of those other CBs are really good too. The only ones I would have taken him over were Forbes for sure and probably Banks too. I think Gonzalez was a steal where he went and I also like Porter who also hasn't gone yet a little better than Branch too. Porter will be a huge steal where ever he goes at this point. Great draft if you need a CB. One other good thing about Branch is that being a College safety he can be a little of a hybrid guy too. He would actually be a great replacement for CJGJ for you guys if you get him

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you have to think at 32, someone trades up to get Levis or the Steelers take Porter Jr.
Porter is a guy that I think if the Steelers are at 17 and they decide to go CB over OT that they probably take. He won’t be there with their second round 2 pick. I think there is a drop off at corner after that. I think a team would have to send a slanted offer their way to talk them off of taking Porter. They’d have to be ecstatic coming out of these first two picks with an OT and a CB of the future.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Additionally, I love the idea of the Eagles having some 3-4 versatility in their group now with Nolan Smith and Redick as book ends. Either guy can drop flat or hook/curl or run with back out (need help deep on wheel though) or they can be a bitch to handle in the pass rush. They already drafted the NT type in Jordan Davis last year.
I was 100% certain that the Eagles D took a huge hit with the guys they lost this year. Now, I'm not so sure and if they do pick up another DB and these draft picks all pan out (including Davis from last year) I think you can argue they may be just as good. Personally I think you are going to be a little disappointed in Dean. I really wanted him last year but I'm just not so sure now.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think he is going to be a real good player and a steal at this point, but I'd say some of those other CBs are really good too. The only ones I would have taken him over were Forbes for sure and probably Banks too. I think Gonzalez was a steal where he went and I also like Porter who also hasn't gone yet a little better than Branch too. Porter will be a huge steal where ever he goes at this point. Great draft if you need a CB. One other good thing about Branch is that being a College safety he can be a little of a hybrid guy too. He would actually be a great replacement for CJGJ for you guys if you get him
It’s funny you say CJGJ. They’re different in the way their evolution has gone. CJGJ a slot corner moving to safety. Who knows how Lions will employ him. Branch is a pure safety and a better tackler. Both guys though give you positional versatility. Don’t get me wrong. I like the Nolan Smith pick but if I’m in Howie’s spot last night I go Branch over Smith. Personally, I was not team Gonzalez. His tape for me doesn’t match his combine. He needs some work and I feel kind of vindicated after saying Witherspoon over Gonzalez all winter based on the way the league ended up seeing them. In my Branch statement, I’m removing the innate value CB has over S in the modern NFL and just assessing pound for pound football players. For me, Branch was number 2 in this class at DB with only Witherspoon being better in my eyes. I really think in a system that uses Branch’s versatility to move him around and create disguise that he could be All Pro 2-3 times in his career.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got to think at some point the Titans trade up to get Levis

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Chiefs plan A was to trade up for Mazi Smith. Tried to trade back but they said it was a pretty big distance so they just took FAU.

I don't think anyone is coming for Levis or Hooker
Nope. Those guys will keep falling. Maybe a team that has an aging QB makes sense for landing spots.

Lions behind Goff?
Rams behind Stafford?
Raiders
Titans
Packers

Someone will take them in the right spot but no reason to panic on those two. Getting one in the 3rd would be nice value

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Campbell is going to be a damn good player for years to come. Love that kid

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 100% certain that the Eagles D took a huge hit with the guys they lost this year. Now, I'm not so sure and if they do pick up another DB and these draft picks all pan out (including Davis from last year) I think you can argue they may be just as good. Personally I think you are going to be a little disappointed in Dean. I really wanted him last year but I'm just not so sure now.
Think you could be right on Dean. The good news from the Eagles perspective is the investment and the position. He was only pick 83 and worth a flyer at that point in the draft. He had a year for weight room, special teams, and learn like a sponge. In limited run last year at LB he showed a bit of what people liked about him. Come hook or by crook, he always has himself around the ball. I worry about how he holds up shedding and playing off of blocks. At the end of the day though, Eagles have had success in late rounds and even undrafted free agents finding bodies that can play there. Organizationally they treat 2 down LB as a plug and play position similar to what they do on offense at RB. Edwards who just signed with the Bears is an example of that. It looks like the Eagles want to stop the run with their DTs eating blocks but more so, using their offense to control clock and score points using game script to get the opponent out of run.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Campbell is going to be a damn good player for years to come. Love that kid
I liked him too. At the same time, I don’t like him where he was drafted. That’s a big reach in my mind. I saw their pick of Gibbs same way. Like the prospect but not as high as the Lions took them. Gibbs is likely there at the pick where they take Campbell. And Campbell is likely there when they select in round 2 tonight. Lions under Campbell have marched to the beat of his own drummer though and years from now if those guys are cornerstone and winning players, no one will care if they were overdrafted relative to media mock drafts.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Chiefs plan A was to trade up for Mazi Smith. Tried to trade back but they said it was a pretty big distance so they just took FAU.

I don't think anyone is coming for Levis or Hooker
Sounds right. Mazi Smith kinda screamed Chiefs pick given DT was a massive question mark outside of Jones, who has a massive contract questionmark. I have a hard time believing Clark Hunt was ever going to allow a trade out of the 1st round given the draft was in KC.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s funny you say CJGJ. They’re different in the way their evolution has gone. CJGJ a slot corner moving to safety. Who knows how Lions will employ him. Branch is a pure safety and a better tackler. Both guys though give you positional versatility. Don’t get me wrong. I like the Nolan Smith pick but if I’m in Howie’s spot last night I go Branch over Smith. Personally, I was not team Gonzalez. His tape for me doesn’t match his combine. He needs some work and I feel kind of vindicated after saying Witherspoon over Gonzalez all winter based on the way the league ended up seeing them. In my Branch statement, I’m removing the innate value CB has over S in the modern NFL and just assessing pound for pound football players. For me, Branch was number 2 in this class at DB with only Witherspoon being better in my eyes. I really think in a system that uses Branch’s versatility to move him around and create disguise that he could be All Pro 2-3 times in his career.
I think Branch is a CB, not a safety in the NFL

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you could be right on Dean. The good news from the Eagles perspective is the investment and the position. He was only pick 83 and worth a flyer at that point in the draft. He had a year for weight room, special teams, and learn like a sponge. In limited run last year at LB he showed a bit of what people liked about him. Come hook or by crook, he always has himself around the ball. I worry about how he holds up shedding and playing off of blocks. At the end of the day though, Eagles have had success in late rounds and even undrafted free agents finding bodies that can play there. Organizationally they treat 2 down LB as a plug and play position similar to what they do on offense at RB. Edwards who just signed with the Bears is an example of that. It looks like the Eagles want to stop the run with their DTs eating blocks but more so, using their offense to control clock and score points using game script to get the opponent out of run.
One would suspect a LB whose biggest flaw is shedding blockers in the box and getting overpowered by OL and pushed out of the play would benefit greatly from playing behind your DTs. Then Dean can just do a little more of what he is good at and use his speed to move laterally and cover and not worry about getting stuck on blocks

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Branch is a CB, not a safety in the NFL
Interesting. I’m not disagreeing because I’ve called out his versatility. Can you expound a little bit more for me on how you arrived at the conclusion?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One would suspect a LB whose biggest flaw is shedding blockers in the box and getting overpowered by OL and pushed out of the play would benefit greatly from playing behind your DTs. Then Dean can just do a little more of what he is good at and use his speed to move laterally and cover and not worry about getting stuck on blocks
I think you nailed the upside of what Dean could be. He can hold his own in coverage if the pick works out.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I’m not disagreeing because I’ve called out his versatility. Can you expound a little bit more for me on how you arrived at the conclusion?
Very good Cover skills and size.

Don't think he'll be the run defender at the next level that he was in College. Certainly can't be an in the box guy in the NFL. Doesn't have that amazing speed you want from a CB nowadays, but I think his best position is going to be slot CB. That seems to fit his skill set the best to me. I think he can play both CB and S though and either way he'll excel in the nickel so you just draft him as a DB

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good Cover skills and size.

Don't think he'll be the run defender at the next level that he was in College. Certainly can't be an in the box guy in the NFL. Doesn't have that amazing speed you want from a CB nowadays, but I think his best position is going to be slot CB. That seems to fit his skill set the best to me. I think he can play both CB and S though and either way he'll excel in the nickel so you just draft him as a DB
This assessment is very consistent in him dropping out of round 1. If the league sees him translating as a slot corner I can see why GMs didn’t give him a first round grade. I still see him as being more personally but time will tell.