• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use "i cannot monitor everyone all the time" when my wife has a girls night out and i drink beer all night on the couch while my kids beat each other with plastic baseball bats

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey guyse ... i think this whole fifa thingie is a kinda big story

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putin's just mad his 8 goal performance has been bumped off the list...

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luis Suarez's ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini could be appealed in the wake of FIFA's crisis, according to the Uruguayan Footballers' Union (MUFP).

Uruguay international Suarez was banned for four months by FIFA after biting Italy's Chiellini at last summer's World Cup in Brazil.

His suspension means Suarez will miss this summer's Copa America tournament in Chile, although the MUFP could appeal the sanction.

The MUFP has cited the arrests of football officials, which includes Uruguayan Eugenio Figueredo, as reason to challenge the decision.

The body said on its Twitter account: "If Luis Suarez is in agreement, we will ask for the end of the suspension... due to [the player] having been suspended by an organ suspected of corruption.

"He was a victim, without doubt, of this alleged corruption."

Yup, poor Luis, a victim of corruption. It drove him so crazy that he decided to bite a guy (again).

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Vlad is mad because he thinks the US is trying to take the 2018 World Cup from Russia:

Russian President Vladimir Putin says the United States is meddling in FIFA's affairs in an attempt to take the 2018 World Cup away from his country.

Putin said in televised comments Thursday that it is "odd" that the probe was launched at the request of U.S. officials for crimes which do not involve its citizens and did not happen in the United States." Two of the 14 people charged by U.S. prosecutors have U.S. citizenship.

In a separate probe, Swiss prosecutors are investigating the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar.

Putin said he is aware of "the pressure" on Sepp Blatter for his support of Russia hosting the World Cup.

Putin described Wednesday's pre-dawn arrests of seven soccer officials in Zurich as "yet another evident attempt to derail Mr. Blatter's re-election as FIFA president."

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corrupt refs? So Alex Burrows has been telling the truth this whole time?

Also, I was waiting for the 2006 World Cup to be exposed and all those German tears to be fake.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
CGHebu6U4AAhtuN.jpg

love this so much

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
South Korea results from 2002 World Cup now under scrutiny - Football - Eurosport

The Corriere dello Sport newspaper alleges that the referee who presided over Spain’s defeat to South Korea was designated by Jack Warner.

The newspaper claims the under-fire former FIFA executive assigned referees to a number of matches at the tournament, among them Spain's controversial penalty loss to the joint-host nation.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am trying to make sure I understand what is happening.

FIFA = IIHF
UEFA, MLS, Premier League etc = NHL, KHL etc. Correct?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am trying to make sure I understand what is happening.

FIFA = IIHF
UEFA, MLS, Premier League etc = NHL, KHL etc. Correct?

i think the best analogies would be ...
FIFA = IIHF (correct)
UEFA = Hockey Canada (sorta)
Premier League = NHL
MLS = Croatian Hockey League (as per Bloody Brian Burke)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will There Be Enough Votes To Oust Sepp Blatter?

Since you have been reading our coverage of the FIFA corruption scandal this week, you’re surely wondering how anybody in their right mind could vote for that ineffectual and corrupt doofus Sepp Blatter. It is a good question, and in fact the football associations in a number of countries have announced, with varying degrees of certainty, their support for Prince Ali. Those countries are Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Costa Rica, Croatia, England, Finland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Scotland, Sweden, United States, Uruguay, and Wales. There may be more that I missed.

The astute among you will observe that there are only 19 countries on that list. It’s a good start, but still a far cry from the 105 votes Prince Ali will need to unseat Blatter. In fact, pretty much everybody that has handicapped the election—even after the vast scale of corruption in FIFA that was revealed when the US Department of Justice went gangbusters—believes that Blatter is still going to win handily. Huh?

As FiveThirtyEight explains extremely well, FIFA’s one country, one vote system basically begs to be corrupted, and is also the source of Blatter’s power.

Basically, Blatter’s power is based around a strategy of support from the tiny soccer nations. He doesn’t even need to outright bribe countries like Saint Lucia or Timor-Leste—yes, those are two of FIFA’s member associations—but merely steer a couple hundred thousand dollars earmarked for “youth soccer development” or the like to those countries’s football associations. That is much simpler than convincing Germany and England to vote for you.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only explanation for some of these is that the refs were calling the game in favor of one team.

Status
Not open for further replies.