• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a hideous game tonight from the Caps; did they even register a shot on goal? Morales red-carded and will miss the next game in Salt Lake City. Mind you, if he were to play like he did tonight, that's probably not a bad thing.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a hideous game tonight from the Caps; did they even register a shot on goal? Morales red-carded and will miss the next game in Salt Lake City. Mind you, if he were to play like he did tonight, that's probably not a bad thing.

The ref overreacted sending off both players, they both deserved yellow cards for their little spat, but red cards for each was harsh.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Larin just scored his first MLS goal...

Edit: Cyle (thanks BB)

:canada:

Last edited:

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually, Cyle Larin (with a "C")

/George Carlin would just love than one.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my bad if already posted

CCZ2DYfWgAA5O_M.jpg

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprisingly, Juventus goes up on Monaco. The Madrids draw 0-0.

I'm sure Real is happy to be tied but probably would have liked to get a goal or two on the road for potential tie-breaking purposes.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF YOURE A CDN SOCCER FAN AND YOU CANT GET AMPED FOR THIS MATCH AFTER WATCHING COACH BENITOS MOTIVATIONAL SPEECH THEN YOU DONT HAVE A DAMMMMM PULSE!!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprisingly, Juventus goes up on Monaco. The Madrids draw 0-0.

I'm sure Real is happy to be tied but probably would have liked to get a goal or two on the road for potential tie-breaking purposes.
Those games were bafflingly boring. Juve's penalty wasn't even a penalty (Carvalho tackled Morata outside the box). Should've been a red and a FK, not a pen. Gigi stopped two glorious chances for Monaco too.

Also, Real's finishing = :puke: . I can't even count the number of times Ronaldo passed and Benzema first-touched it half way across the field to the feet of an Atletico player. Guess there's a reason he doesn't like to pass much.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Porto-Bayern match got real interesting too, SF. Bayern had 4 guys on the bench on Saturday and one of them was a keeper. Injuries at the worst time.

Porto's missing Tello and Jackson, too, but the rest of the squad is fit. Going to be a fun one to watch.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beautifully executed defensive plan by Porto and lots of credit for finishing their chances. But what a stinker from the Bayern backline. They really served those up on a platter. Pretty much the best possible result they could have hoped for, other than perhaps it being 3-1 instead of 2-0.

And go ahead and stick a fork in PSG. They're not good enough to overcome that kind of deficit on the road.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beautifully executed defensive plan by Porto and lots of credit for finishing their chances. But what a stinker from the Bayern backline. They really served those up on a platter. Pretty much the best possible result they could have hoped for, other than perhaps it being 3-1 instead of 2-0.

And go ahead and stick a fork in PSG. They're not good enough to overcome that kind of deficit on the road.
Would've been worse had Neuer been red carded like he should've been on that penalty. Last man back and one on one and only a yellow? He saved Bayern's bacon a bunch too. That away goal is good for Bayern, though, and Porto will be without both FB's in Munich. Might be bus-parking time.

And yikes PSG. That was some kind of ugly.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would've been worse had Neuer been red carded like he should've been on that penalty. Last man back and one on one and only a yellow? He saved Bayern's bacon a bunch too. That away goal is good for Bayern, though, and Porto will be without both FB's in Munich. Might be bus-parking time.

And yikes PSG. That was some kind of ugly.
Two thoughts on the Neuer play:
1) Play shouldn't have gotten that far because there should have been a foul on Martinez for coming through the back of Alonso (spelling?). He touches the ball first his left, but then clearly takes out Alonso's legs with his right.
2) Although the replays seem to show that Neuer didn't get the ball at all, I can understand how, from where the referee was positioned, it looked like he did. But getting ball alone doesn't mean it can't be a foul, which is why I think the ref went the way he did. Doesn't make it the right call obviously, but it makes sense at least.

But yeah, the away goal is the main thing I was thinking of. Bayern winning 2-0 at home would not be even remotely surprising, so that away goal could become big if Porto can't score in Munich.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two thoughts on the Neuer play:
1) Play shouldn't have gotten that far because there should have been a foul on Martinez for coming through the back of Alonso (spelling?). He touches the ball first his left, but then clearly takes out Alonso's legs with his right.
2) Although the replays seem to show that Neuer didn't get the ball at all, I can understand how, from where the referee was positioned, it looked like he did. But getting ball alone doesn't mean it can't be a foul, which is why I think the ref went the way he did. Doesn't make it the right call obviously, but it makes sense at least.

But yeah, the away goal is the main thing I was thinking of. Bayern winning 2-0 at home would not be even remotely surprising, so that away goal could become big if Porto can't score in Munich.
That was a pretty clean tackle as long as he got the ball first. Alonso didn't even try to make a stink of it.

And that seems to be the narrative, but I'm not buying it. If Fabiano had done that to Muller he'd have seen a straight red. Neuer kept Bayern in the game, too, with a bunch of unreal saves. Porto would likely be unreachable right now had Bayern been down to ten men and old man Reina would've been terrorized in net. The ref just knew if he sent off Neuer 3 minutes he'd likely catch hell not only from Bayern fans but from UEFA as well for pretty much sealing the fate of one of Europe's biggest clubs so early into the tie.

Regardless, happy with the result, it was never really in doubt, and if Porto score a goal in Munich on Tuesday It's going to be tough for Bayern to match. Doesn't help short-handed Bayern that they gotta play Hoffenheim Saturday away while Porto can rest a bunch of starters against the 5th worst team in Portugal at home.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a pretty clean tackle as long as he got the ball first. Alonso didn't even try to make a stink of it.

And that seems to be the narrative, but I'm not buying it. If Fabiano had done that to Muller he'd have seen a straight red. Neuer kept Bayern in the game, too, with a bunch of unreal saves. Porto would likely be unreachable right now had Bayern been down to ten men and old man Reina would've been terrorized in net. The ref just knew if he sent off Neuer 3 minutes he'd likely catch hell not only from Bayern fans but from UEFA as well for pretty much sealing the fate of one of Europe's biggest clubs so early into the tie.

Regardless, happy with the result, it was never really in doubt, and if Porto score a goal in Munich on Tuesday It's going to be tough for Bayern to match. Doesn't help short-handed Bayern that they gotta play Hoffenheim Saturday away while Porto can rest a bunch of starters against the 5th worst team in Portugal at home.
I think Alonso may have reacted differently had they not been arguing about the call on Neuer (right or wrong, they always argue it!).

The thing is, that exact same play that Martinez made on Alonso got called as a foul a dozen times during the rest of the game. It gets called every time, except that one.

Really though, I think the ref blew it twice on that sequence.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Bayern rested a few players against Hoffenheim to focus on the 2nd leg. They're 10 points up with 6 (I think) to play, so I would imagine they feel pretty safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.