• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh well I still enjoyed it lol

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saints get a point at Stamford Bridge - They needed three, but still getting a point against the league leaders is a pretty good day.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man City continue to underachieve. Dzeko just doesn't look like he cares anymore, he's only noticeable when he has a bad giveaway. The whole team looks like it lacks motivation, too much cruise control, ton of lateral passes instead of pushing the pace of play which they are completely capable of. I don't know, totally different team than the past few years.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to imply that Porto isn't a decent club, but I'm sure Bayern was happy to get the virtual free pass to the semis.

Madrid-squared will be a great matchup.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to imply that Porto isn't a decent club, but I'm sure Bayern was happy to get the virtual free pass to the semis.

Madrid-squared will be a great matchup.
Needless to say, I was less than thrilled with the draw. I thought Porto had a chance vs. any team save Barca or Bayern.

Like a friend of mine said as I cried into my Cheerios on Friday, "At least you know you're either going to pull off a miracle or get shit-kicked."

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needless to say, I was less than thrilled with the draw. I thought Porto had a chance vs. any team save Barca or Bayern.

Like a friend of mine said as I cried into my Cheerios on Friday, "At least you know you're either going to pull off a miracle or get shit-kicked."
Didn't realize you were a Porto fan.

Tough draw. Bayern may be not only the best club in the tournament still, but I think they present the toughest matchup for Porto. Porto would match up better with the finesse styles that the Spanish clubs play, and PSG and Juventus just aren't as good as the Spanish or Bayern. But Bayern's balls-to-the-wall attacking style is going to be tough for Porto.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't realize you were a Porto fan.

Tough draw. Bayern may be not only the best club in the tournament still, but I think they present the toughest matchup for Porto. Porto would match up better with the finesse styles that the Spanish clubs play, and PSG and Juventus just aren't as good as the Spanish or Bayern. But Bayern's balls-to-the-wall attacking style is going to be tough for Porto.
Die hard. Lived there when I was a kid for a few, my parents are from there, been to north of ten games including Gelsenkirchen 04, might even fly out for this one.

But yeah, you're not wrong on any of those points. Only lifeline we have right now is it appears Robben's going to miss at least the first leg. If Porto can somehow manage to eke out a win at home and then park the bus in Munich there's a hope in hell. I mean, Gladbach did just beat Bayern at home. They aren't invincible.

If Bayern does go through as presumed, though, I'd love to see them play Barca in the next round.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Die hard. Lived there when I was a kid for a few, my parents are from there, been to north of ten games including Gelsenkirchen 04, might even fly out for this one.

But yeah, you're not wrong on any of those points. Only lifeline we have right now is it appears Robben's going to miss at least the first leg. If Porto can somehow manage to eke out a win at home and then park the bus in Munich there's a hope in hell. I mean, Gladbach did just beat Bayern at home. They aren't invincible.

If Bayern does go through as presumed, though, I'd love to see them play Barca in the next round.
While completely true, unlikely. Glad you're a die-hard but a realistic one at that.

That was, after all, Bayern's first loss at home in nearly a year. And it's not often that you can count on Neuer having an off day (first one was horrible, normally he gets the second).

Porto really needs to aim for a 1-0-type win at home in the first leg though. I would consider it unlikely that they'll be able to net at Allianz, so their best bet is probably to try to hold Bayern off the scoresheet at home and then play a ton of D at Allianz and hope for a 0-0 or 0-1 with penalties there.

I'm sure Bayern would like to avoid a repeat of the Shakhtar situation though and will probably come out hard in the first leg.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While completely true, unlikely. Glad you're a die-hard but a realistic one at that.

That was, after all, Bayern's first loss at home in nearly a year. And it's not often that you can count on Neuer having an off day (first one was horrible, normally he gets the second).

Porto really needs to aim for a 1-0-type win at home in the first leg though. I would consider it unlikely that they'll be able to net at Allianz, so their best bet is probably to try to hold Bayern off the scoresheet at home and then play a ton of D at Allianz and hope for a 0-0 or 0-1 with penalties there.

I'm sure Bayern would like to avoid a repeat of the Shakhtar situation though and will probably come out hard in the first leg.
Yeah who knows what would've happened if Shakhtar didn't bite the cyanide 2 minutes in.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitecaps snatched three points from kissing Tony Orlando and Dawn on the weekend. Also, Kaka is still a brilliant player.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitecaps snatched three points from kissing Tony Orlando and Dawn on the weekend. Also, Kaka is still a brilliant player.
Kaka's like Dinho at the same age - he can dance around guys who are obviously of a weaker skill set, but he'd get absolutely demolished by a top flight European defence. Right move at the right time until the Florida heat starts making games unbearable.

On a related and bitter note, Dinho's AC Milan years are still tough for me to think about after seeing what he did mid-decade at Barca, and likewise Kaka's Madrid years just made no sense for anybody (THEY HAD SNEIJDER! WTF DID THEY NEED A DECLINING KAKA FOR?!).

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MUFC have been promoted to MLS :whistle:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems the Caps have acquired a wee man from Uruguay (of course)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacking not allowed in this form of football

Status
Not open for further replies.