• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but compensate for what? They have to re-evaluate their schedule, not cancel games.

idk ... for using their contracted players ... i would imagine that they are using the same argument that the NHL uses with iihf/ioc ... but then ... major clubs see their players play during international breaks so ????

plus some of the leagues complaining have winter breaks anyways so that wont help their argument lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as Italy goes ... their FA and clubs will follow what ever break away association if it meant more money Parma folded ... and is selling their urinals on ebay if you guys are interested lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk ... for using their contracted players ... i would imagine that they are using the same argument that the NHL uses with iihf/ioc ... but then ... major clubs see their players play during international breaks so ????

plus some of the leagues complaining have winter breaks anyways so that wont help their argument lol
They're already compensated for loaning national teams their players: How much did MLS clubs get paid for having players at 2014 World Cup? | ProSoccerTalk

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as Italy goes ... their FA and clubs will follow what ever break away association if it meant more money Parma folded ... and is selling their urinals on ebay if you guys are interested lol

That Parma saga is the saddest thing in sports. Italy, Serie A and FIGC keep finding new ways to be the worst run major sports association in the world.

You'd think with all the bullshit Serie A dealt with in the early 2000s with bum owners they would have installed safeguards to prevent that from happening again (like the NHL did after Spano). But nope. Fucking incompetent.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're already compensated for loaning national teams their players: How much did MLS clubs get paid for having players at 2014 World Cup? | ProSoccerTalk

something tells me theyre not happy with those numbers lol

FIFA set aside $70 million to compensate clubs, as German Champions Bayern Munich led the way by earning $1,734,367 million, while Real Madrid earned $1,297,800 and Chelsea received $1,253,233 million in compensation for their players heading to Brazil.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is definite pride for players to represent their national teams, but it's kind of hard to turn down $20 million/yr because you want to play in a World Cup against Zimbabwe and the Faroe Islands.

Anyway, if the other former WC winning nations broke off, Brazil and Argentina wouldn't even think twice about following suit. There's no chance they would stick around in a FIFA where the biggest money-making countries no longer are members. These countries have all the power and they know it, that's why I'm so confused as to why they stick around and take FIFA's shit.
Right, but at some point you end up with the exact same situation where you've got a ruling body that's huge wields all the power.

If all of the top UEFA countries plus the US (not that we're good but there's big money in US TV broadcasts), Brazil and Argentina break away, all the other countries will want to follow-suit.

And when a club sees a stud player in the Ivory Coast or Uruguay or some other non-member that the new association has been blocking, they're going to lobby hard for that country to gain admittance so they can sign that guy.

I guess my ultimate point is that it's not as easy as one might think to break away like that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
something tells me theyre not happy with those numbers lol

FIFA set aside $70 million to compensate clubs, as German Champions Bayern Munich led the way by earning $1,734,367 million, while Real Madrid earned $1,297,800 and Chelsea received $1,253,233 million in compensation for their players heading to Brazil.
It's peanuts. For sure. And the compensation teams get when their players get hurt on intl duty is even more embarrassing.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but at some point you end up with the exact same situation where you've got a ruling body that's huge wields all the power.

If all of the top UEFA countries plus the US (not that we're good but there's big money in US TV broadcasts), Brazil and Argentina break away, all the other countries will want to follow-suit.

And when a club sees a stud player in the Ivory Coast or Uruguay or some other non-member that the new association has been blocking, they're going to lobby hard for that country to gain admittance so they can sign that guy.

I guess my ultimate point is that it's not as easy as one might think to break away like that.
My assumption is that once the big boys break away, everyone will break away and FIFA in its current iteration will cease to exist. Think the creation of the Premier League - big clubs got together, little ones followed because that was where the money was.

Sure, the new association will be big and challenging and probably wind up with the same problems, but what's the alternative?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My assumption is that once the big boys break away, everyone will break away and FIFA in its current iteration will cease to exist. Think the creation of the Premier League - big clubs got together, little ones followed because that was where the money was.

Sure, the new association will be big and challenging and probably wind up with the same problems, but what's the alternative?
Suck it up and deal just like we do with Bettman and the NHL.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing football and not paying taxes is an Italian tradition. Just ask Maradona.

taking the playing football element out of the equation and having some experience with the matter ... it can be tough on the italian taxpaying public to pay taxes when the govt of the day retroactively surprise you with some out of nowhere :noidea:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
taking the playing football element out of the equation and having some experience with the matter ... it can be tough on the italian taxpaying public to pay taxes when the govt of the day retroactively surprise you with some out of nowhere :noidea:
The prevalence of the underground economy in Italy does not do them any favours, I'm assuming.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id say kruegers got southampton looking better than the coilers :noidea:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey jstew, do we know if Pelle scored in that shinny game, he certainly can't score in the Premier League these days.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that wasn't a great start to the Whitecaps season on the weekend...

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that wasn't a great start to the Whitecaps season on the weekend...
Fuck man, I lost out on $800 because I took the tie (hit all my college basketball ties). What the hell happened in the 2nd half?!

Status
Not open for further replies.