• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The new footy thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 more icymi (but it kinda went viral so you probably didnt miss it lol)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man of the match for Southampton - Liverpool yesterday - Referee Kevin Friend who is no friend of mine.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess in some way, I should thank Abby Waaaaah-mback for this

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a cluster. Obviously they didn't really think all of this through before they awarded the 2022 WC.

Or their minds were too clouded by the strippers and blow the Qataris gave them.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a cluster. Obviously they didn't really think all of this through before they awarded the 2022 WC.

Or their minds were too clouded by the strippers and blow the Qataris gave them.
I can't for the life of me understand why the larger nations haven't just broken off and started their own federation which would inevitably attract everybody else and end FIFA. Are they all okay with this?!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't for the life of me understand why the larger nations haven't just broken off and started their own federation which would inevitably attract everybody else and end FIFA. Are they all okay with this?!
I think there's too much money in it that they'd lose out on.

For instance, if some of the larger UEFA countries decided to break away, keeping in mind that UEFA is itself part of FIFA, they'd likely be banned from any competition that didn't include the new associations specific members.

Imagine getting banned from Euro (even if you form your own) and getting all of your country's players banned from Champions League. And potentially all major clubs.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk ... but if anything is a tipping point it may be what came out yesterday ... that FIFA will not be compensating any euro FA's / major clubs for the forced winter shutdown in 2022

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's too much money in it that they'd lose out on.

For instance, if some of the larger UEFA countries decided to break away, keeping in mind that UEFA is itself part of FIFA, they'd likely be banned from any competition that didn't include the new associations specific members.

Imagine getting banned from Euro (even if you form your own) and getting all of your country's players banned from Champions League. And potentially all major clubs.
Yeah, but what is the Champions League and Euro without Germany/Spain/England/Italy/France? Why the hell am I watching the Champions League Final if it's contested between Olympiacos and Basel? I'd rather watch the other competition where Bayern Munich square off with Real Madrid.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk ... but if anything is a tipping point it may be what came out yesterday ... that FIFA will not be compensating any euro FA's / major clubs for the forced winter shutdown in 2022
Maybe, but compensate for what? They have to re-evaluate their schedule, not cancel games.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious how that will work out.

I don't think they'd just shorten the season, but playing club games in the summer in Spain (for example) isn't that much better than playing in Qatar.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but what is the Champions League and Euro without Germany/Spain/England/Italy/France? Why the hell am I watching the Champions League Final if it's contested between Olympiacos and Basel? I'd rather watch the other competition where Bayern Munich square off with Real Madrid.
Right, but let's say for instance that they form a breakaway UEFA2.0.

Perhaps Barca, Real, Bayern, the Manchesters, etc. join UEFA2.0. But do you think that they still attract the Messi and Neymars of the world who would be banned from playing for their country because they chose to sign with a UEFA2.0 club?

Transfer agreements between FIFA confederation clubs (globally) and UEFA2.0 clubs disappear over night, making it harder for some clubs to get the talent they need.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but let's say for instance that they form a breakaway UEFA2.0.

Perhaps Barca, Real, Bayern, the Manchesters, etc. join UEFA2.0. But do you think that they still attract the Messi and Neymars of the world who would be banned from playing for their country because they chose to sign with a UEFA2.0 club?

Transfer agreements between FIFA confederation clubs (globally) and UEFA2.0 clubs disappear over night, making it harder for some clubs to get the talent they need.
There is definite pride for players to represent their national teams, but it's kind of hard to turn down $20 million/yr because you want to play in a World Cup against Zimbabwe and the Faroe Islands.

Anyway, if the other former WC winning nations broke off, Brazil and Argentina wouldn't even think twice about following suit. There's no chance they would stick around in a FIFA where the biggest money-making countries no longer are members. These countries have all the power and they know it, that's why I'm so confused as to why they stick around and take FIFA's shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.