• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NET Rankings - Broken already?

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska has some good wins . A good sos and net . You'll be fine if you can get to 9-11 in league

Is the field that weak this year as opposed to previous? I just don't get how 12-8 B1G teams are sneaking in. We were nearly a bubble team last year @22-11 with wins @UVA,Duke,UNC, Clemson, etc...

I understand the shit NC OOS gripe with VT. But at some point you should have to win games, not just play them.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the field that weak this year as opposed to previous? I just don't get how 12-8 B1G teams are sneaking in. We were nearly a bubble team last year @22-11 with wins @UVA,Duke,UNC, Clemson, etc...

I understand the shit NC OOS gripe with VT. But at some point you should have to win games, not just play them.
Basically what's happening this year in the B10 I'd the league had such an outstanding OOC that every single team right now resides inside the top 125 with 11 of the 14 on the top 55. In essence ( currently ) there are no awful losses in the B10 as long as you don't lose a home game to PSU, Rutgers or Illinois . Even road losses to those teams are Q2 losses which means you don't really move down much when you lose but you move up a lot with pretty much any win ( and in some cases you move up even with close losses ).

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically what's happening this year in the B10 I'd the league had such an outstanding OOC that every single team right now resides inside the top 125 with 11 of the 14 on the top 55. In essence ( currently ) there are no awful losses in the B10 as long as you don't lose a home game to PSU, Rutgers or Illinois . Even road losses to those teams are Q2 losses which means you don't really move down much when you lose but you move up a lot with pretty much any win ( and in some cases you move up even with close losses ).

Makes sense. CBB is much more reliant on resumes & data. And I don't mean to downplay the B1G, as I think they're the deepest conference right now. But a team like Indiana reminds me a lot of last year's Oklahoma. Played a quality OOC, got a few marquee wins (Marquette,Louisville,Butler) but then got shredded in conference play and made the tourney anyways.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. CBB is much more reliant on resumes & data. And I don't mean to downplay the B1G, as I think they're the deepest conference right now. But a team like Indiana reminds me a lot of last year's Oklahoma. Played a quality OOC, got a few marquee wins (Marquette,Louisville,Butler) but then got shredded in conference play and made the tourney anyways.
I think Indiana and Nebraska are the 2 B10 teams who are in some trouble tourney wise if they don't start winning soon. No matter how good s league is it's tough to go 4 games under .500 in league and get a bid.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Indiana and Nebraska are the 2 B10 teams who are in some trouble tourney wise if they don't start winning soon. No matter how good s league is it's tough to go 4 games under .500 in league and get a bid.

I think there's only been one instance where a team 4 games below .500 in league play has gotten a bid(Florida State 1998)

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VT got screwed last season. 22-11 in the ACC would normally be enough, but what the NCAAT Committee does is pool you with similar records and weigh those games that were somewhat similar, except last season Syracuse got in after suffering a season of bad losses like St Bonaventure, but beating VT head-to-head, which most likely got them in rather than VT.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT got screwed last season. 22-11 in the ACC would normally be enough, but what the NCAAT Committee does is pool you with similar records and weigh those games that were somewhat similar, except last season Syracuse got in after suffering a season of bad losses like St Bonaventure, but beating VT head-to-head, which most likely got them in rather than VT.

VT got in pretty safely last year.

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I got confused haha. More just commenting on seeding. Purdue is a 3 right now even though they have 6 losses and we beat them on a neutral court. I get H2H has no bearing, but sometimes I think SOS gets too much credit over just winning games.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I got confused haha. More just commenting on seeding. Purdue is a 3 right now even though they have 6 losses and we beat them on a neutral court. I get H2H has no bearing, but sometimes I think SOS gets too much credit over just winning games.

70% of their games have been against Q1 and Q2 competition. That's an absurd amount. They are 5-5 against Q1 teams. If you say the top 8 are UVA, Duke, Gonzaga, MSU, Michigan, Kansas, Kentucky and Tennessee, that leaves them in contention with UNC, VT, Louisville, Marquette, Houston, Texas Tech. VT is 2-2 against Q1. Louisville is 4-5 against Q1, UNC is 5-4 against Q1, Texas Tech is 3-4 against Q1, Marquette is 4-3, Houston is 2-1.

I'd have Houston, Marquette and UNC on the 3 line, and would have a tough time deciding between the remaining four for the final 3. I'd probably lean Purdue though.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well shit, the point I was trying to make is the system last season depended on how good the teams you beat play against everybody else. I'm not a big fan of the Quadrant system either.

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70% of their games have been against Q1 and Q2 competition. That's an absurd amount. They are 5-5 against Q1 teams. If you say the top 8 are UVA, Duke, Gonzaga, MSU, Michigan, Kansas, Kentucky and Tennessee, that leaves them in contention with UNC, VT, Louisville, Marquette, Houston, Texas Tech. VT is 2-2 against Q1. Louisville is 4-5 against Q1, UNC is 5-4 against Q1, Texas Tech is 3-4 against Q1, Marquette is 4-3, Houston is 2-1.

I'd have Houston, Marquette and UNC on the 3 line, and would have a tough time deciding between the remaining four for the final 3. I'd probably lean Purdue though.

The quadrant thing is overrated. Some teams have inflated NET rankings for losing to better teams. We beat Syracuse at home by 22. That's a 'Q2 Win'. But if we beat #74 Oklahoma St by 1 on the road, it's a 'Q1 Win'. I think sometimes just need to look at things a little deeper. It'll all most likely balance out towards the end of the season. If we're overrated as shit, we'll lose. If Purdue is truly a 3-seed, they'll continue to win.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well shit, the point I was trying to make is the system last season depended on how good the teams you beat play against everybody else. I'm not a big fan of the Quadrant system either.

I like the premise of the quadrant system, but still think it should be altered. Because right now winning on the road at Vermont is worth the same as Duke beating UVA at home. That doesn't make much sense. My first criteria would be wins against the field (or hypothetical if you're doing a bracket projection) That way you get a true sense of winning against at large caliber competition .A team could have 5 wins against 65-75 of the NET on the road, but none of them make the tournament.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quadrant thing is overrated. Some teams have inflated NET rankings for losing to better teams. We beat Syracuse at home by 22. That's a 'Q2 Win'. But if we beat #74 Oklahoma St by 1 on the road, it's a 'Q1 Win'. I think sometimes just need to look at things a little deeper. It'll all most likely balance out towards the end of the season. If we're overrated as shit, we'll lose. If Purdue is truly a 3-seed, they'll continue to win.

I agree with pretty much everything you said here. Purdue's schedule was very front loaded in the B1G. They are projected to finish 9-2 in conference the rest of the way. They do that it'll be hard to keep them off the 3 line. And I would expect VT to hover around the 3/4 the rest of the way.