• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I had no issue with the ROY comment but the none comment rubbed me the wrong way
Me too when I first saw the tweet.

But, after reading the article, it's a little less harsh than it appears.

...a little.

He still trolled Mitchell with the laugh...lol

When the 6-foot-10 point guard was told the Rookie of the Year race appears to be a two-man show, he buried his head down and proceeded to chuckle. Asked what rookies have caught his attention this year, he didn't mince words.

"None," Simmons responded promptly. "I want to be where the greats are. So, for me, I watch the guys like [Kevin Durant], [LeBron James], [Stephen] Curry, Russell [Westbrook]. Guys like that. That's where I want to be. I think for me, that's what I love to watch."

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif
I like Mikal for you.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, you know that's a shot at Mitchell.

But, I have no problem with it.

We need some competitive fire in the league and less of this buddy, buddy shit.

Of course it’s a shot at Mitchell. I don’t see why that’s such a big deal. They’re different players but Mitchell isn’t on Ben’s level.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mikal for you.
If they don't jump to top 3, him or Miles are probably the best options. Unless they go all in for Gordon or Parker, then Bamba makes more sense.
Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Buddy
Mikal/Jackson
Skal/Zbo
Giles/WCS
They could also go after Randle and trade WCS.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't jump to top 3, him or Miles are probably the best options. Unless they go all in for Gordon or Parker, then Bamba makes more sense.
Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Buddy
Mikal/Jackson
Skal/Zbo
Giles/WCS
They could also go after Randle and trade WCS.
Did you read this article?

Good news.

Harry Giles’ future has been so hyped by those around the Kings, it’s easy to forget he hasn’t played since last year’s NCAA Tournament. “I can understand having a guy coming off injury, that’s a rookie that hasn’t played, so I understand ‘Why are they hyping him?'” Giles said. “But … I’m ready to go. It’s not about the hype, it’s not about the media, it’s about me getting on the court and playing ball in Vegas. That’s my main goal, I don’t even think about anything else.”

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it’s a shot at Mitchell. I don’t see why that’s such a big deal. They’re different players but Mitchell isn’t on Ben’s level.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with it.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news.
Harry Giles’ future has been so hyped by those around the Kings, it’s easy to forget he hasn’t played since last year’s NCAA Tournament. “I can understand having a guy coming off injury, that’s a rookie that hasn’t played, so I understand ‘Why are they hyping him?'” Giles said. “But … I’m ready to go. It’s not about the hype, it’s not about the media, it’s about me getting on the court and playing ball in Vegas. That’s my main goal, I don’t even think about anything else.”

It still seems unusual that he played a year ago in NCAAs -- but they had to sit out the entire NBA season -- without sustaining another injury. (right ? or did I miss something?)

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good news.

It's great that Giles isn't getting a big head from all the practice hype he's gotten and just wants to show what he can do. The Kings are a lot easier to cheer for this year with guys like Fox, Buddy, and Giles even though he hasn't played. They've gotta be near the bottom of the league in technical fouls and yelling at refs about bad calls. As great as Cousins was, I don't miss him being top 3 in tech's all those years which led to being suspended for a few games. Not to mention Matt Barnes from last year and Rondo the year before that.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great that Giles isn't getting a big head from all the practice hype he's gotten and just wants to show what he can do. The Kings are a lot easier to cheer for this year with guys like Fox, Buddy, and Giles even though he hasn't played. They've gotta be near the bottom of the league in technical fouls and yelling at refs about bad calls. As great as Cousins was, I don't miss him being top 3 in tech's all those years which led to being suspended for a few games. Not to mention Matt Barnes from last year and Rondo the year before that.
Yeah, those 3 could be All NBA Temper Tantrum 1st teamers during parts of their careers.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still seems unusual that he played a year ago in NCAAs -- but they had to sit out the entire NBA season -- without sustaining another injury. (right ? or did I miss something?)
Sounds like they were being extra cautious in a Season that wouldn't lead to the playoffs.

"After consulting multiple experts on bilateral knee injuries, the Kings made the early decision to wait a full year from the date of Giles' last ACL surgery before allowing him to see unrestricted court time. That date has passed, but without a conventional training camp, Sacramento has chosen to err on the side of caution and prepare Giles for a healthy offseason program and Las Vegas Summer League appearance."

Ham added that Giles' ACLs are completely healed and that he's been "showing major signs of improvement in agility, strength and athleticism."

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with a 10-14% chance of the #1 pick. :D
Would you rather see them top 5 or 6-10?

Its hard to totally predict. Looks like Celtics will have a 2019 draft that looks like 3 slots: a 5-10 slot, a 15-20 slot, and a 28-30 slot. They will probably get a top 5 talent in either the 20 or 21 draft from Memphis as well and their 2020 pick.

Thats 5 very good adds plus Celtics 2018 pick. Where the heck do you put all these kids? Plus another 5 or 6 second rounders?

I gotta think its Horford, Scarry Terry and one of these picks for a big acquisition

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, those 3 could be All NBA Temper Tantrum 1st teamers during parts of their careers.
Rondo making a gay slur at the ref and Barnes being involved in an incident off the court were both horrible, I'm happy they're gone.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. Unless you're out with a season ending surgery. Simmons was basically a red shirt rookie. Was practicing and everything. Solid point

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. Unless you're out with a season ending surgery. Simmons was basically a red shirt rookie. Was practicing and everything. Solid point

How much was he practicing? He had surgery on his foot October 2016 right before the season started. Granted, the 76ers likely held him out in March and April in order to tank...but they claim his foot hadn’t fully healed. Who knows. Their medical team is very sketchy.

I think there are two options: (1) the current system or (2) you’re a rookie only for the season you got drafted. If you miss time, tough luck. Saric, for example, would not have been considered a rookie last season since he was drafted in 2014. I don’t think there is room to say “you qualify if you missed time for such and such a reason.” One way or the other. Under the current rules, Simmons is eligible so he’d get my vote.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much was he practicing? He had surgery on his foot October 2016 right before the season started. Granted, the 76ers likely held him out in March and April in order to tank...but they claim his foot hadn’t fully healed. Who knows. Their medical team is very sketchy.

I think there are two options: (1) the current system or (2) you’re a rookie only for the season you got drafted. If you miss time, tough luck. Saric, for example, would not have been considered a rookie last season since he was drafted in 2014. I don’t think there is room to say “you qualify if you missed time for such and such a reason.” One way or the other. Under the current rules, Simmons is eligible so he’d get my vote.
Maybe Rookie and Best Newcomer?

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fuck it, give it to whomever the guy in Utah is, we'll forget his name. MCW won it. He's trash. Embiid and Dario were passed over last year for a cat that was 24, they responded nicely. Give it to the guy that throws up 30 shots to get 30 points. He doesn't have anyone around him...

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it, give it to whomever the guy in Utah is, we'll forget his name. MCW won it. He's trash. Embiid and Dario were passed over last year for a cat that was 24, they responded nicely. Give it to the guy that throws up 30 shots to get 30 points. He doesn't have anyone around him...

20 PPG on roughly 44% shooting.

Believe it or not but when you actually take jump shots, your shooting % usually goes down.

FTR, Embiid was only passed over because dude barely played last year. Hard to win ROY when you miss 51 games.....

Saric wasn't better than Brogdon.