• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only teams presented in the post I responded to were the Celtics, Sixers and Lakers.
I could have said the whole League and they'd still be in the conversation of best young talent because they have so much.

Obviously, Minny , Utah, Denver would be mentioned too.

But, the Lakers are ahead of the rebuilds in Sacto, Phoenix, Atlanta, Brooklyn,Orlando and ahead of Teams like the Clippers, Griz who haven't even begun yet.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could be worse. look at Sactown...

sorry, Bolts...
The Kings are further along in rebuild than the Nets, although their lost draft pick comes next year. Whether the rebuild will get them anywhere near contention is another story. A great pick in the lottery and signing one of the top young RFA(Gordon, Randle, Parker) would help the Kings' chances.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings are further along in rebuild than the Nets, although their lost draft pick comes next year. Whether the rebuild will get them anywhere near contention is another story. A great pick in the lottery and signing one of the top young RFA(Gordon, Randle, Parker) would help the Kings' chances.
Everything looks different if Giles goes the way of Embiid and recovers sufficiently from his injuries.

I'm rooting for him.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything looks different if Giles goes the way of Embiid and recovers sufficiently from his injuries.

I'm rooting for him.
Giles seems like a good guy and is working hard to get back. I try not to get my hopes up because ACL injuries are tough to come back from, but the talent is definitely there to make an impact.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giles seems like a good guy and is working hard to get back. I try not to get my hopes up because ACL injuries are tough to come back from, but the talent is definitely there to make an impact.
If they continue to go slow and remain patient, he has a chance.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's supposed to make his Kings debut in summer league, but I'd imagine they'll limit his minutes to start.

I think he was a excellent High risk/ High reward pick where he was taken.

I was just reading this speculation article about the Mavs.

It suggested that if they don't move up into the top 3, they would try to trade back to the Clippers or Suns and ask for both picks.

Normally, I'd be all over that.

But, it would depend on who we have left on the roster after free agency and there is really no way to know that for sure before the draft.

I'm not even sure what guy would still be on the board that would be worth missing out on either Sexton or Gilgeous-Alexander and a Williams, Walker or Knox.

I like Bamba and I really like Jaren Jackson.

But, I like the idea of grabbing two good young players as well.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he was a excellent High risk/ High reward pick where he was taken.

I was just reading this speculation article about the Mavs.

It suggested that if they don't move up into the top 3, they would try to trade back to the Clippers or Suns and ask for both picks.

Normally, I'd be all over that.

But, it would depend on who we have left on the roster after free agency and there is really no way to know that for sure before the draft.

I'm not even sure what guy would still be on the board that would be worth missing out on either Sexton or Gilgeous-Alexander and a Williams, Walker or Knox.

But, I like the idea of grabbing two good young players as well.
The Kings can look back at passing on Mitchell and trading back instead, but there was no reason to believe he'd be this good this soon and they have 2 capable SG's already. Having Giles be a reward would help make that decision hurt a little less or possibly not at all.

For the Clippers it just depends on who would be available. I really like JJJ so he could be worth moving up for but I think they need to trade off older players and fully rebuild. If they do that then getting 2 lottery picks would be better than 1. The Suns would probably be more likely to do that trade because they could get 2 top 5 picks, but they might not get both mid first round picks.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming Ball doesn't play again, he finishes the year with 30 missed games from minor injuries.

They have been ridiculously overcautious with him this season. Either play him or go full Sixers and "redshirt him".

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have been ridiculously overcautious with him this season. Either play him or go full Sixers and "redshirt him".

Which would be stupid considering he had no knee issues at UCLA. Didn't follow him in HS, did he have major surgery or something in HS on his knee?

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I watched about 7 Michigan State games this year. In particular in the big games -- I thought Jackson almost disappeared and didn't step up at all. Obviously he has skills (probably the biggest variety skills among the top 7 -- defensively I like him a lot) -- but it bugs me that he rarely appeared to be the top player on his own team. Just would make me nervous taking him in the top 3. (compared to Bagley, Luka, Ayton -- all of whom had the spotlights on them and they mostly stepped up during big moments) Also, I didn't think he improved a lot during the year. (did nothing in NCAAs) One draft site had Ibaka as a comparable. (makes sense ... but that should be his floor)

Taking him about 5-6-7 would be fine.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Entertaining thread for sure. I do hope the Kings suck for one more year, just sayin :-)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Nets haven't started their rebuild process yet. Maybe in 2019 they can start.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched about 7 Michigan State games this year. In particular in the big games -- I thought Jackson almost disappeared and didn't step up at all. Obviously he has skills (probably the biggest variety skills among the top 7 -- defensively I like him a lot) -- but it bugs me that he rarely appeared to be the top player on his own team. Just would make me nervous taking him in the top 3. (compared to Bagley, Luka, Ayton -- all of whom had the spotlights on them and they mostly stepped up during big moments) Also, I didn't think he improved a lot during the year. (did nothing in NCAAs) One draft site had Ibaka as a comparable. (makes sense ... but that should be his floor)

Taking him about 5-6-7 would be fine.
You are totally correct.

But, part of that is Bridges had the green light to shoot that Shit at will. I think JJJ only averaged less than 7 shots per game.

So, I'm hoping it was more lack of touches and not lack of effort/aggression.

I love his skill set. There aren't a ton of high caliber defensive, shot blocking Bigs with elite 3 point shooting.

I hope he can still hit that shot at a decent clip in the pros.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could have said the whole League and they'd still be in the conversation of best young talent because they have so much.

Obviously, Minny , Utah, Denver would be mentioned too.

But, the Lakers are ahead of the rebuilds in Sacto, Phoenix, Atlanta, Brooklyn,Orlando and ahead of Teams like the Clippers, Griz who haven't even begun yet.

They’re in the conversation but they aren’t top 3 leaguewide. Probably not top 5 for young talent (which I’d describe as players age 25 and younger.) In my opinion, their current young players aren’t good enough for them to simply rebuild through the draft. I think they’ll need to acquire one or two all-star caliber players in order to catch up to the teams ahead of them on the list. But that’s true of most of the teams mentioned.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like what Sacramento has done. Barring a star joining LA, I think they’ll make the playoffs before the Lakers.