• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok guys got to hold myself back. way to much homerism on saric and fultz. dont go overboard

Are you suggesting that Tatum is clearly better than Saric? Because I don’t think you’ve got a strong case. They may be equals (I give the edge to Saric) and Tatum is younger, but seems like you’ve got some homerism of your own to deal with.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question for 6er fans, @Sparhawk @flyerhawk:

Leading up to the draft, it was clear that Fultz was the consensus number 1 pick and that the 6ers needed the best guard available.

But, the 6ers also had been reportedly saying that Ben Simmons was going to play point for them. They had to know what they had in Simmons, right? They saw him in workouts and practices last season.

If they were convinced Simmons was a PG, why didn't they take the best shooter of the 1 and dones, Tatum?

Sounds obvious in hindsight, but the Fultz projections assumed the 6ers needed a guard. But when you have a dynamic 6-10 playmaker like Simmons, the best thing you can do is surround him with shooters like Tatum and Reddick.

Hindsight is 20-20 and Fultz is at least making something of a lost rookie season, but I find it difficult to see these two players ever truly complimenting each other given their playing styles, even if Fultz does end up hitting.

Simmons gives the Sixers some great flexibility in their lineup. They can go big and have him at point guard or go "small" and have him at "point forward." Either way, they keep the consistency of him running their offense.

If this kid develops at least a serviceable outside shot...:shocked:

Doesn't even have to develop a good one. Just enough so teams aren't daring him to shoot it.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tatum FWIW started and played in the 1,2,3, and 4 positions this year. Pretty good for a 19 year old

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you suggesting that Tatum is clearly better than Saric? Because I don’t think you’ve got a strong case. They may be equals (I give the edge to Saric) and Tatum is younger, but seems like you’ve got some homerism of your own to deal with.
Yeeeesh....this is a tough one because of contrasting styles.

Clean slate, starting from scratch roster....I'm taking Tatum.

But, that shouldn't be surprising considering how much I value scoring.

Saric is such a luxury for the 76ers and I wonder how good he could be if he didn't play behind Embiid, Simmons and Covington.

We saw what he could do last Season when Embiid and Simmons were out. So, he could be a load.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeeeesh....this is a tough one because of contrasting styles.

Clean slate, starting from scratch roster....I'm taking Tatum.

But, that shouldn't be surprising considering how much I value scoring.

Saric is such a luxury for the 76ers and I wonder how good he could be if he didn't play behind Embiid, Simmons and Covington.

We saw what he could do last Season when Embiid and Simmons were out. So, he could be a load.

I can’t fault anyone for taking Tatum over Saric. Both are good players in different ways. I just don’t think anyone should act as though it’s crazy to think that Saric may be better than Tatum.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question for 6er fans, @Sparhawk @flyerhawk:

Leading up to the draft, it was clear that Fultz was the consensus number 1 pick and that the 6ers needed the best guard available.

But, the 6ers also had been reportedly saying that Ben Simmons was going to play point for them. They had to know what they had in Simmons, right? They saw him in workouts and practices last season.

If they were convinced Simmons was a PG, why didn't they take the best shooter of the 1 and dones, Tatum?

Sounds obvious in hindsight, but the Fultz projections assumed the 6ers needed a guard. But when you have a dynamic 6-10 playmaker like Simmons, the best thing you can do is surround him with shooters like Tatum and Reddick.

Hindsight is 20-20 and Fultz is at least making something of a lost rookie season, but I find it difficult to see these two players ever truly complimenting each other given their playing styles, even if Fultz does end up hitting.
Honestly, I thought Fultz would be the better SCORER, not the better shooter.

Plus, we all knew before the Season even ended that Redick was Philly bound.

So, maybe they thought they had it covered and didn't want to clutter up the front court more.

Remember, they drafted Luwawu recently as well.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, when did Tatum play the 1?

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you suggesting that Tatum is clearly better than Saric? Because I don’t think you’ve got a strong case.

Saric is a very good player. Not surprised you would say I dont have a strong case. I respect your enthusiasm. We both know who has better offense, handles, under pressure clutchness, but just for giggles look at the defense capability (which for some reason people just gloss over)

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saris has 4 pro years under his belt while Tatum is a rookie so I think it is hard to compare the two yet.

They are also different kinds of players. Tatum is more of a swing and Saric is more of a power forward. Sure they both play the 3 at times but they could both be on the court pretty comfortably with little overlap.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saric is a very good player. Not surprised you would say I dont have a strong case. I respect your enthusiasm. We both know who has better offense, handles, under pressure clutchness, but just for giggles look at the defense capability (which for some reason people just gloss over)

Wait, are you conceding all those attributes to Saric? Because...I don’t think we all know who has better offense or handles.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t fault anyone for taking Tatum over Saric. Both are good players in different ways. I just don’t think anyone should act as though it’s crazy to think that Saric may be better than Tatum.
Agree 100%

Contrasting styles of play.

Both guys look like terrific young players.

Tatum is just the sexier choice.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, when did Tatum play the 1?

With all the injuries to PGs Brad used him as a 1 and went big and played hybrid zone defense to beat teams. Dont know many teenagers have and can play 4 positions in the NBA

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saris has 4 pro years under his belt while Tatum is a rookie so I think it is hard to compare the two yet.

They are also different kinds of players. Tatum is more of a swing and Saric is more of a power forward. Sure they both play the 3 at times but they could both be on the court pretty comfortably with little overlap.
Outstanding, unbiased post.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course it’s hard to compare them. My only point is that I won’t concede that Tatum is better than Saric, whatever that term “better” means.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I'm guessing I might as well get used to Sixers vs. Lakers vs. Celtics who's better debates.

Testament to the amount of young talent on all 3 of those rosters.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not on board with arguing that Saric is or is not better than Tatum because I don't think the comparison is apt.

But I think you need to look up the numbers before assuming that Tatum is better offensively or even in the clutch.

Clutch scoring per 36 minutes has them both scoring about 20 points. Tatum has a +/- of 3 in clutch situations where as Saric as a +/- of 19.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I'm guessing I might as well get used to Sixers vs. Lakers vs. Celtics who's better debates.

Testament to the amount of young talent on all 3 of those rosters.

Well they've been going on for a while now.

I think the Suns could sneak into this conversation if they can hit in the draft this year.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum is just the sexier choice.

I felt that way about Simmons this year. I have to admit I was so impressed with Tatums composure and shooting but after watching Simmons play live well, that kid is a man body vs tatum. Give tatum 3 years to catch up. He looks to me like a KD in the making but with better D