• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn Sparhawk. Simmons is special

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn Sparhawk. Simmons is special

I would say that tonight's game probably removed any straggling Donovan supporters on RoY.

Which is NOT to take away from the extraordinary season he is having. In any normal year, he would be the talk of the league.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, but, Donovan Mitchell pointzzz...

Whaddya think?
ECF matchups between our two teams for the next 10 years???
Too greedy???
Lmao...Somebody compliments Simmons and the first thing you think about is Mitchell?

Dude has you shook.....lol

Simmons has this in the bag.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that tonight's game probably removed any straggling Donovan supporters on RoY.

Which is NOT to take away from the extraordinary season he is having. In any normal year, he would be the talk of the league.
Simmons is Elite.

...and he still has room to get better.

That's scary.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons is Elite.

...and he still has room to get better.

That's scary.

Simmons can't shoot. Look at his stat line and think about that for a second. Pray for the rest of the league in 2 to 3 years.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simmons can't shoot. Look at his stat line and think about that for a second. Pray for the rest of the league in 2 to 3 years.

Simmons can legitimately be the best player in the league for the next decade if he learns to shoot. He isn't as strong as LeBron was, but he might be quicker. The comparison is a pretty obvious one, but Simmons can be LeBron 2.0.

That all said, there was a possession off a TO where Simmons had the ball 15 feet from the rim without a soul anywhere near him. He never even looked at the rim and waited for a cutter to pass the ball to. Simmons needs to take about 4,000 jump shots a day this off season. Right now, that is the only thing holding him back from true greatness.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question for 6er fans, @Sparhawk @flyerhawk:

Leading up to the draft, it was clear that Fultz was the consensus number 1 pick and that the 6ers needed the best guard available.

But, the 6ers also had been reportedly saying that Ben Simmons was going to play point for them. They had to know what they had in Simmons, right? They saw him in workouts and practices last season.

If they were convinced Simmons was a PG, why didn't they take the best shooter of the 1 and dones, Tatum?

Sounds obvious in hindsight, but the Fultz projections assumed the 6ers needed a guard. But when you have a dynamic 6-10 playmaker like Simmons, the best thing you can do is surround him with shooters like Tatum and Reddick.

Hindsight is 20-20 and Fultz is at least making something of a lost rookie season, but I find it difficult to see these two players ever truly complimenting each other given their playing styles, even if Fultz does end up hitting.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m gonna laugh when it’s pick #1 and the Laker posee tells us they’d rather have no pick then the #1 pick in the draft

Leading up to the draft, it was clear that Fultz was the consensus number 1 pick and that the 6ers needed the best guard available.

But, the 6ers also had been reportedly saying that Ben Simmons was going to play point for them. They had to know what they had in Simmons, right? They saw him in workouts and practices last season.

If they were convinced Simmons was a PG, why didn't they take the best shooter of the 1 and dones, Tatum?

Sounds obvious in hindsight, but the Fultz projections assumed the 6ers needed a guard. But when you have a dynamic 6-10 playmaker like Simmons, the best thing you can do is surround him with shooters like Tatum and Reddick.

Hindsight is 20-20 and Fultz is at least making something of a lost rookie season, but I find it difficult to see these two players ever truly complimenting each other given their playing styles, even if Fultz does end up hitting.

For me, I would imagine they believed Fultz had the higher ceiling before the shoulder nonsense and Taytum started hitting 50% of his threes to start the season.

Given their size advantage, it may be that they wanted a guard who could defend other PGs, especially the faster ones. While it would be nice to have Taytum and the picks back, there is that unknown potential that Fultz has. He appears to be figuring things out way faster than anticipated. Biggest game of the year and the kid looked unfazed.

Let’s give Taytum credit. He’s been much better than expected and Fultz has not.
Kicking the can down the road, the only real opening in the starting lineup is Redick, so Fultz might be the better fit there than Taytum.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, I would imagine they believed Fultz had the higher ceiling before the shoulder nonsense and Taytum started hitting 50% of his threes to start the season.

Given their size advantage, it may be that they wanted a guard who could defend other PGs, especially the faster ones. While it would be nice to have Taytum and the picks back, there is that unknown potential that Fultz has. He appears to be figuring things out way faster than anticipated. Biggest game of the year and the kid looked unfazed.

Let’s give Taytum credit. He’s been much better than expected and Fultz has not.
Kicking the can down the road, the only real opening in the starting lineup is Redick, so Fultz might be the better fit there than Taytum.

I don’t see Tatum as such a great fit on the 76ers. Will Tatum be better than Dario? Who knows. Dario predictably improved his 3P% this season, good shooter, does a lot of other things. And Tatum wouldnt get much playing time when the 76ers sign LeBron this offseason.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well it is a few things really.

First off, Tatum wasn't nearly a lock to be a great shooter based on his season at Duke. He shot 35% from 3. His FT% was very good.

Fultz is a swing guard. He can play on and off the ball and was supposedly one of the better shooters in the draft. If his shot was working properly, he would be a great fit for the Sixers starting 5. A very long guard who could create on the ball and can defend both guard positions.

In retrospect, Tatum came into the league with an NBA 3 point shot which wasn't expected at the time and going for him would have made sense. Which isn't to say that Fultz was the wrong. I absolutely LOVE his ability to get to the basket. And unlike Simmons he has shown the ability to shoot in the past.

Defensively, Fultz provides defense against slashing guards like a Westbrook that neither Simmons or Tatum are really designed to do.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see Tatum as such a great fit on the 76ers. Will Tatum be better than Dario? Who knows. Dario predictably improved his 3P% this season, good shooter, does a lot of other things. And Tatum wouldnt get much playing time when the 76ers sign LeBron this offseason.

Pretty sure that Tatum is more of a 3 than a 4 so he would need to climb over RoCo.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure that Tatum is more of a 3 than a 4 so he would need to climb over RoCo.

Agree with that,

But, imagine a potential lineup of Simmons, LBJ, Tatum, RoCo and Embiid.

I like the thought of Simmons' length on slashing guards like Russ. He could "Pippen them" with a little more refinement. He certainly has the athletcism to do it.

To me, when you have a big playmaker/defender like Simmons it opens up all possibilities. You don't have to worry about position at all, because Simmons can play point and defend 1-4. He is the ideal player for positonless basketball.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good responses though guys.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with that,

I like the thought of Simmons' length on slashing guards like Russ. He could "Pippen them" with a little more refinement. He certainly has the athletcism to do it.

To me, when you have a big playmaker/defender like Simmons it opens up all possibilities. You don't have to worry about position at all, because Simmons can play point and defend 1-4. He is the ideal player for positonless basketball.

Oh for sure.

Right now, it would seem that the Sixers would have been better off sitting 3 at drafting Tatum, although it is possible that the Celtics were taking Tatum no matter what. But they would still have the Lakers/Kings pick.

However, I would say that it is far from certain that Tatum will be the better pro. He had a MUCH better rookie season. But Fultz has actually looked really good since his return despite his reticence to shoot from the outside. They both have a great drive to hole. They both play defense pretty well for rookies. Tatum is a much better shooter and Fultz is a much better passer at this point. I would expect both to improve.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok guys got to hold myself back. way to much homerism on saric and fultz. dont go overboard

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with that,

I like Fultz with those guys more than Tatum. Assuming Fultz progresses, of course. But I’m just going to assume that. He’s shown some good signs so far.